Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 06-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
Tuavale
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Alexander Gurov-will he win on Friday?

Alexander Gurov goes to Italy to fight Vincenzo Cantatore. Gurov has been stopped many times but he has some decent wins. My last memory of Cantatore was him getting thrashed by Wayne Braithwaite. Does Gurov have anything left? Any info or thoughts woukld be helpful.

Last edited by Tuavale; 06-20-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Tuavale is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
UKITAZ
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Alexander Gurov-will he win on Friday?

Its hard to tell which Gurov will turn up, he's got a high ko ratio, but then got starched in about 40 secs by Haye !!
UKITAZ is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

both can punch..........but only cantatore has a chin.

cantatore by third round ko.
unitas is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
giggigreto
Journeyman

Cantatore is not that good, but he is the only italian boxer who is known by common sport fans over here. He is fighting just a few meters out of the coliseum, in the square where the arch of Constantine is located, and he will get live broadcasting from major TV channel raidue ( rai2 ). That is not on the satellite, but on free-tv, in prime time. That's what Cantatore can do in Italy.

So if there is balance in the fight, and they go to the scorecards, I think Cantatore would somehow get the nod. So Gurov has to win by KO, or completely shut out the crude Cantatore on points, like JOhnny Nelson did a year ago or so..
giggigreto is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKITAZ
Its hard to tell which Gurov will turn up, he's got a high ko ratio, but then got starched in about 40 secs by Haye !!
Ya but the reason he got starched by Haye is because his chin is poor and Haye can really punch .

I fancy Cantatore to stop him but a Gurov win certainly isn't out of the equation , I assume Gurov still has his punch and Cantatore is a bit plodding and can be caught so you never know .

Still I'm gonna predict a stoppage in around 9/10 for Cantatore .
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuavale
Alexander Gurov goes to Italy to fight Vincenzo Cantatore. Gurov has been stopped many times but he has some decent wins. My last memory of Cantatore was him getting thrashed by Wayne Braithwaite. Does Gurov have anything left? Any info or thoughts woukld be helpful.
Good question,tuavale! Gourov 's weak spot is his chin.Gourov can punch like a mule,and his firepower is a threat to any opponent.However,the Italian can punch ,too.
I guess the outcome of their encounter depends on who connects first with some good shots.
I cant really see this fight go the full route.Gourov had better go for the kill early.He cant win a point decision in Italy anyway!
Odo is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cantatore won a MD , 116-114 , 116-114 , 114-114 .
fair decision ?
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
giggigreto
Journeyman

nope, i was there.
Gurov won the first 7 rounds easily, Cantatore just grabbed and the occasional counterpunch.
in the last 2 rounds Gurov had gassed out and was seriously in danger of being knocked out, but so was Cantatore in round 4 and 6.
Cantatore is a very clumsy boxer, he jumps forward and tends to impact with his head a bit too much. And he clinches way too much, he wouldn't be allowed to do so outside of Italy
Old 06-23-2007, 04:15 AM   #9
jont
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

cn anyone tell us how the fight went down--any big punches?
what would an objective score have been like--How did Gurov Look like was he shot?
jont is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars
Cantatore won a MD , 116-114 , 116-114 , 114-114 .
fair decision ?
It seemed to be a very close fight then!
Anyone seen that fight apart from giggigreto?
Odo is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #11
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I am also interested. I thought Gurov was past it but this result seems to prove Cantatore is not far better at this stage of their career. The EBU title can be a key for a shot at a world belt but in this case they won't go further imo. How did Cantatore look ? What was his plan and was Gurov really good this time ? Did he use the plan he had against Mormeck to keep his chin out of trouble (jab, very high workrate, clinches) ? What would be Cantatore's chances against other CW you watched recently ?

Last edited by Fitir; 06-23-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
giggigreto
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitir
I am also interested. I thought Gurov was past it but this result seems to prove Cantatore is not far better at this stage of their career. The EBU title can be a key for a shot at a world belt but in this case they won't go further imo. How did Cantatore look ? What was his plan and was Gurov really good this time ? Did he use the plan he had against Mormeck to keep his chin out of trouble (jab, very high workrate, clinches) ? What would be Cantatore's chances against other CW you watched recently ?
I summarized the fight in my previous post. Cantatore grabbed too much, he threw an haymaker and then--->clinch! He was backed up to the ropes by Gurov who was stronger, and dominated the fight until round 8. I thought around the 3 round that Gurov would win by KO. After round 8 Gurov runned out of gas, and in the last 2 rounds he too grabbed to survive the late rush of Cantatore. It was only the second time, I think, that Gurov made all the 12 assaults.
The most generous I can be towards Cantatore is by giving him the last 5 rounds. But that is debatable, as there was balance in some of those rounds.
Gurov was effective with his left and his good timing throwing 1-2s in the beginning of the fight.
These guys were considered big hitters, but, they tagged each other with clean shots on the chin throughout the fight, yet no knockdown. When someone was in trouble, there was a clinch :(
Old 06-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

OK thanks for the analysis. It was clear before the fight that Gurov wouldn't be a force in the division anymore but it's the same for Cantatore...
Cantatore can still be a very good test for a prospect though, beating him in Italy won't be easy. Monrose is ranked 4 by the EBU but Haye, Diablo and Arslan who are ranked 1-2-3 won't be interested so Monrose vs Cantatore is likely to happen next.
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #14
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If it looks like Cantatore is past it then he could very well be Maccarinelli's next opponent after Braithwaite(if Enzo can get through his hardest test so far) . It would be hard for Cantatore as such a match up would surely take place in the UK and he'd probably have to knock Enzo out .
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #15
giggigreto
Journeyman

Cantatore can fight whoever he wants in Italy, he has the right connections and can appear on free national television at prime-time.
I think he can force Maccarinelli to come to Rome as he forced Nelson, to do an all italian showdown or something on that line

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum