Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-31-2007, 08:20 PM   #61
Sonny's jab

vCash:
Default Re: Sugar Ray Never Really Beat Duran

Duran was SHIT in the 2nd and 3rd fights.
Leonard beat him, probably because he was shit.

Leonard cannot be faulted in the 2nd fight, but I dont think that fight should be ranked high on his list of credentials. Nothing much happened, and Duran just quit. It's a fight best forgotten. Leonard regained the title, avenged his loss - good accomplishments, but not a glorious performance. Duran's fault, the fight sucked 100%.

The 3rd fight both of them were shit, absolute shit.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #62
Street Lethal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
You miss the meaning of my analogy: I am referring to those fans who claim that Listoon wasn't "himself" for those 2 fights with Ali, whether he threw the fights for fear of the Muslims, the underworld, or for just suddenly "getting old", or whatever. You've read all the excuses some fans have made for Liston, whether they're fans of Liston, or just haters of Ali. So, to them, Ali NEVER defeated Liston. He had shady reasons for quitting in the first fight, he went down and quit in the second fight. You know, conspiracy theorists. So it's an appropriate analogy to use when referring to Leonard-Duran. But I'm of course being sarcastic, because Leonard WAS beating Duran in that rematch, and masterfully so, and caused him to quit out of frustration. In the third fight, Leonard clearly one that one too, I mean, come on now, he won a clear, unanimous decision over Duran, let's not be ridiculous.
Still not buying it. Like I said, there's a huge difference that invalidates the analogy. Clay was fiercely whuppin' up on Liston. Leonard was clowning in the Duran rematch. Liston was beat up. Look at his face. Duran didn't have a scratch on him. There is a simple truth in all this, you know. Clay was superior to Liston in so many ways. Leonard was superior to Duran in only one respect. He was taller.
Street Lethal is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #63
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Not only did he beat him... He forced Duran to up & quit! That is the most humiliating thing one fighter could do to another. The domination was so great by the eight round, the proud Duran had never been outfought to that degree before. Then Leonard started mocking him, It was too much...
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #64
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGEREDGE
**** THE RECORD, RAY LEONARD NEVER REALLY BEAT ROBERT. I rate ray highly, but he never fought the real roberto in the last 2 fights of their trilogy.

i remember the first fight more fondly, when ray nearly beat duran at his own game. that fight was close. both fighters walk away from that fight with equal credit. Duran for beating a bigger, stronger, exceptional welterweight champion at the peak of his powers AND ray for surviving a vicious attack from duran and nearly beating him on the inside

How many men survived a beating from duran and went close to beating him?

Ray tried to box in that fight, but got sucked in to a fight. He took a few rounds recovering from being shook by RD. the result could of beeen different if hedn't of got nailed

THE NO MAS FIGHT WAS JUST AN EXHIBITION FOR RAY. ONLY ONE MAN SHOWED UP. DURAN WAS ****ED.

THE SAME FOR THE THIRD FIGHT
hhhwat[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #65
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Still not buying it. Like I said, there's a huge difference that invalidates the analogy. Clay was fiercely whuppin' up on Liston. Leonard was clowning in the Duran rematch. Liston was beat up. Look at his face. Duran didn't have a scratch on him. There is a simple truth in all this, you know. Clay was superior to Liston in so many ways. Leonard was superior to Duran in only one respect. He was taller.
..and faster.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 PM   #66
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:

..with better footwork.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 05:30 AM   #67
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
[/i]

..with better footwork.

...and never quit.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #68
eze
Everybody Know Me
East Side VIP

Duran is a overhyped quiter.
eze is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 05:32 AM   #69
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
yes cos he made a great young fighter quit. what i am saying is sugar ray never beat the great fighter that was roberto duran. roberto was a shell of himself. he nearly beat him in june 1980

i know that the record says he beat duran twice

So, it was ok for Duran to walk off in 1980 but not 1976? That makes sense.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:33 AM   #70
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eze
Duran is a overhyped quiter.

Don't know about overhyped but he definitely quit. That's written in (hands of) stone.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #71
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
RAY LEONARD BEAT A ROBERTO DURAN THAT HAD IN TURN BEAT HIMSELF JUST 5 MONTHS EARLIER SO IT'S NOT AS IF HE AGED OVERNIGHT. HE ALSO WON TITLES MANY YEARS LATER. LETS NOT PRETEND THIS WAS OLD AND DYING DURAN. EVEN IN THE REMATCH DURAN HAD JUST BEATEN BARKLEY AND FINALLY HAD HIS CHANCE AT REVENGE ON THE GUY THAT HAD LED HIM TO HUMILATE HIMSELF ALL THOSE YEARS AGO.
THATS WHAT I AM SAYING. ROBERTO DURAN BEAT HIMSELF, SOT SRL
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #72
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Lethal
GOOD STATEMENT. LEONARD COULD OF DONE BETTER IN THE NO MAS FIGHT
Old 09-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #73
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
Duran was SHIT in the 2nd and 3rd fights.
Leonard beat him, probably because he was shit.

Leonard cannot be faulted in the 2nd fight, but I dont think that fight should be ranked high on his list of credentials. Nothing much happened, and Duran just quit. It's a fight best forgotten. Leonard regained the title, avenged his loss - good accomplishments, but not a glorious performance. Duran's fault, the fight sucked 100%.

The 3rd fight both of them were shit, absolute shit.
SPOT ON STATEMENT. If duran had of won 89 he would no beat the great fighter that WAS SUGAR RAY LEONARD and vice versa. TERRY NORRIS NEVER BEAT THE great fighter that WAS SUGAR RAY LEONARD
JUST A SHELL A MAN CALLED SUGAR RAY LEONARD
Old 09-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #74
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
THATS WHAT I AM SAYING. ROBERTO DURAN BEAT HIMSELF, SOT SRL
SRL CHANGED TACTICS IN THE REMATCH AFTER PLAYING RIGHT INTO DOORANS HANDS IN THE FIRST FIGHT. HE WASN'T PLAYING THE SUCKER TWICE.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #75
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

If Duran had not quit in the "No Mas" fight, Leonard would have at least won by a decision, the way the fight was going, and maybe even by a more convincing tko. Look, when you beat a man mentally, you've BEATEN him!! I love Duran, and maintain that he was the greatest of lightweight champions, but Sugar Ray Leonard had his number after that by returning to boxing and moving and not making the mistake of fighting Duran's type of fight as he did in the first one. Duran fought many "tall men". Are you saying that Duran couldnt beat a tall man? Ridiculous!! Leonard had numerous advantages over Duran and he used them all in the last two fights with Duran.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum