boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Most gifted heavyweight ever?

Who was the most physicaly gifted heavyweight ever? It's Mike Tyson for me. He had amazingly fast hands but at the same time could hit like a mule and was strong as a house. In his preteens he was already jacked.
Ali wasn't super strong like a lot of heavyweights despite his amazing speed so that takes away from his overall athletic ability.

Who are some others?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most gifted heavyweight ever?

I always had Greg Page high up on the list, despite his underachieving career.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
jonesjrp4p1
16 yr old prodigy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore
Who was the most physicaly gifted heavyweight ever? It's Mike Tyson for me. He had amazingly fast hands but at the same time could hit like a mule and was strong as a house. In his preteens he was already jacked.
Ali wasn't super strong like a lot of heavyweights despite his amazing speed so that takes away from his overall athletic ability.

Who are some others?
i think ur right on tyson.....fast, power, combinations were beautiful, his peek a boo defense was great and could take a solid punch
jonesjrp4p1 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tyson or foreman. george could of been better if he learned how to box more and get proper leverage behind his punches. tyson hit with proper form. forman used throw some spazzy punches and still ko opponents
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Ali I would say.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
jonesjrp4p1
16 yr old prodigy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1557

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccikulin
Iron Mike Tyson:
As far as power and speed goes I couldn't agree more, but while I wouldn't call his chin weak, it wasn't the best, and his height was a disadvantage too. Don't get me wrong, Mike was a monster, but for the sake of arguement lets compare a few other guys as well.

If we're talking in terms of sheer physical gifts, not counting technique and other intagibles, how about someone like Wlad? his chin is not the best either, probably worse than Tyson's, but his height, reach, power, and speed are all pretty amazing for the heavyweight division. His speed and power both lag a bit behind Tyson's but his height and reach are a huge advantage over almost every other fighter in the division.

Also, how about Big George Foreman? No speed whatsoever, but he had a chin like a freakin rock (he was KOed by Ali, but I think that had nothing to do with his chin and everything to do with how exhausted he was) He might also have the hardest punch of any guy in boxing, at least top 5 all time and definitely on par with Mike for power.

Here's how I see them on a scale of 1 to 5.

.............Mike Tyson.................. Wlad................... Big George
Power ------5 ---------------------4.5 -------------------5
Speed ------5 ---------------------4.5 -------------------2
Chin --------3 ---------------------2 ---------------------5
Size-------- 2 ---------------------5 ---------------------4

Total -------15 -------------------16 ---------------------16

this kinda reminds me of the skill meters on most boxing games. It's definitely not an accurate measure of overall physical ability, but it's kinda fun to take fighters and see how they measure up. What other categories do you think should be included in here? I was thinking of putting in Durability, but that would be kinda hard to measure. Any ideas.
no way tysons chin is only a 3
jonesjrp4p1 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
Bummy Davis
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

It depends what you call gifted, I would say power and solid chin are good gifts as well as speed and form,to have a good work ethic and be conditioned is another, stamina is somewhat of a gift and good foot movement going foward or backwood. I also think there are flashy(window dressers) type of guys and Meat and Potato guys who make every punch count. They are all gifts, some make for better fights but it is all a matter of opinion but all of these quality's are gifts
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabby Gut
I agree with you that the young version of Tyson was the most physically gifted boxer in history. Obscene amounts of money and bloodsucking leeches that insinuated themselves into his inner-circle destroyed that in a few years. But I disagree with you about Ali. Ali was an incredibly strong individual. He made Frazier and Foreman exhausted in their bouts and it takes a strong man to wrestle in clinches with those guys. Plus, he had an amazing chin which indicates strength in his neck muscles.
It doesn't take Hercules to hold a boxer who is bent over and throwing punches, not expecting that his oppontant will resort to illegal tactics and force his head down choking all the while.

Any competant ref would of called Ali for it and most ok fighters in history would of had the same success with it.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Tyson. Maybe Louis. Walcott deserves to be in the conversation.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Mike Tyson
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesjrp4p1
no way tysons chin is only a 3
Fully agreed. Tyson had a solid chin.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #12
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tyson's chin was alot better than other heavyweights out there like lennox lewis, joe louis, joe frazier, etc. I would pick a prime tyson to ko marciano and frazier.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 PM   #13
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

I was also going to point out that Tyson's chin was definately better than a 3 out of 5....

His chin has never let him down nor has his put him out of a fight he should have won. His stamina and defense on the other hand have when he neglected his God given ability and honed talent.

In terms of gifted it depends what you put more stock in.

In terms of Heavyweights Tyson is pretty good choice.
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 02:11 AM   #14
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

George Foreman. Gifted with amazing physical strength. Only two years of amateur experience and won a gold medal. Clobbers tough fighters in Chuvalo, Frazier, Norton, Lyle. Comes back in his late 30s and is making young men run from him. Never down in his comeback. Wins title at 45. I don't think anyone else had his gifts. Tyson was gifted, yes, but not the same longevity or strength. Ali was very talented, had a lot more boxing training and skill, but Foreman did more with his amazing physical talent with less skill and experience and training than a guy like Ali.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 08-31-2007, 04:11 AM   #15
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

Dempsey had amazing gifts
dmt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum