Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #31
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103
Default Re: Henry Cooper

Cooper had more problems than just his vulnerability to cuts. Cooper was chinny, and I doubt that he could have stood up to the bigger, stronger, hard-punching heavyweights of the '70s onwards.

It's noteworthy that the British boxing authorities would not allow Cooper to fight Jimmy Ellis for the latter's heavyweight belt in the late '60s. The British authorities didn't think Cooper was good enough to give Ellis much of a fight.

Cooper himself admits that his manager kept him away from Jerry Quarry because of well founded fears that Henry would be kayoed by Quarry's powerful counter right hands.

Cooper was good, but by today's standards he was just a cruiserweight.

As for Cooper being better than Joe Bugner, I totally disagree. A prime Cooper would have been cleanly outboxed by a prime Bugner in a boring fight. Bugner was simply too big, too technically proficient, and too quick fisted for Cooper to have contended with.

Regarding Cooper's 1971 fight with Bugner, it is a myth that Cooper deserved the decision. In truth, the decision could legitimately have gone either way. Interesting also is that in 1971, Bugner was just a neophyte, a mere shadow of the fighter he would later become.
kenmore is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #32
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
Cooper had more problems than just his vulnerability to cuts. Cooper was chinny, and I doubt that he could have stood up to the bigger, stronger, hard-punching heavyweights of the '70s onwards.

It's noteworthy that the British boxing authorities would not allow Cooper to fight Jimmy Ellis for the latter's heavyweight belt in the late '60s. The British authorities didn't think Cooper was good enough to give Ellis much of a fight.

Cooper himself admits that his manager kept him away from Jerry Quarry because of well founded fears that Henry would be kayoed by Quarry's powerful counter right hands.

Cooper was good, but by today's standards he was just a cruiserweight.

As for Cooper being better than Joe Bugner, I totally disagree. A prime Cooper would have been cleanly outboxed by a prime Bugner in a boring fight. Bugner was simply too big, too technically proficient, and too quick fisted for Cooper to have contended with.

Regarding Cooper's 1971 fight with Bugner, it is a myth that Cooper deserved the decision. In truth, the decision could legitimately have gone either way. Interesting also is that in 1971, Bugner was just a neophyte, a mere shadow of the fighter he would later become.
I thought it was because the British Boxing Board of Control did not recognize the WBA's version of the world title.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #33
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Cooper was more selectively managed than Hatton and Calzaghe ever were.
riggers is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #34
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
I thought it was because the British Boxing Board of Control did not recognize the WBA's version of the world title.
That is interesting, and you may be correct, because it's been many years since I read about this incident. Cooper addresses it some extent in his biography.

But, as best as my memory serves me, the BBBC didn't want to stage the fight because it feared an outcome similar to Cooper's two round kayo loss to Zora Folley. The BBBC envisioned Cooper being knocked out easily by Ellis, which would amount to an embarrassment for the BBBC.

I was surprised when I read this years ago, because I thought that Cooper was at least competent enough to deserve a fight against Ellis, even if he was likely to lose big.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 AM   #35
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

one of cooper's better punches was the one he hit oliver reed with on a film set.
reed was getting a bit boisterous and cooper tapped him on the chin which instantly quieted him down
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 04:18 AM   #36
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
That is interesting, and you may be correct, because it's been many years since I read about this incident. Cooper addresses it some extent in his biography.

But, as best as my memory serves me, the BBBC didn't want to stage the fight because it feared an outcome similar to Cooper's two round kayo loss to Zora Folley. The BBBC envisioned Cooper being knocked out easily by Ellis, which would amount to an embarrassment for the BBBC.

I was surprised when I read this years ago, because I thought that Cooper was at least competent enough to deserve a fight against Ellis, even if he was likely to lose big.
The BBB of C refused to recognize the fight as a title match ,that's why it was dead in the water,not for any fears of Cooper being mismatched, though personally I think Ellis would have stopped Cooper at that stage of Henry's career,and maybe at any stage.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 04:36 AM   #37
HomicideHenry
Bareknuckle Brawler
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1061

Best HW British champ, imo, who never won the HW World title. I still think he won against Joe Bugner, in what was to be his last fight, but thats boxing. Cooper', though, will always be remembered for knocking down Muhammad Ali. I believe in a pub somewhere in England, his gloves hang below a plaque that reads: "These gloves did not split!"

One of my all time favorite boxers, but he will be quick to tell you he avoided guys like Sonny Liston, and other heavyweights.
HomicideHenry is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #38
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
yeah buchannan left the country to fight for it
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #39
bigjake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomicideHenry View Post
Best HW British champ, imo, who never won the HW World title. I still think he won against Joe Bugner, in what was to be his last fight, but thats boxing. Cooper', though, will always be remembered for knocking down Muhammad Ali. I believe in a pub somewhere in England, his gloves hang below a plaque that reads: "These gloves did not split!"

One of my all time favorite boxers, but he will be quick to tell you he avoided guys like Sonny Liston, and other heavyweights.
there's no doubt he was steered around liston and chuvalo among others,george chuvalo was the #1 contender for his british empire title for years and never received a match.
bigjake is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #40
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
there's no doubt he was steered around liston and chuvalo among others,george chuvalo was the #1 contender for his british empire title for years and never received a match.
Chuvalo came to the UK,he beat Joe Bygraves over 10 rds in 65 or 66,,he fought Eduardo Corletti here too and lost handsomely on points,Corletti came back a year later to beat Bygraves.I imagine the concern from the Cooper camp was because of Cooper's vunerabilty to cut eyes and Chuvalos very "physical style",Cooper would have beaten Corletti imo.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #41
bigjake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Chuvalo came to the UK,he beat Joe Bygraves over 10 rds in 65 or 66,,he fought Eduardo Corletti here too and lost handsomely on points,Corletti came back a year later to beat Bygraves.I imagine the concern from the Cooper camp was because of Cooper's vunerabilty to cut eyes and Chuvalos very "physical style",Cooper would have beaten Corletti imo.
yess he would have beaten Corletti,chuvalo should have ko'd corletti as well.but i think chuvalo stops cooper in a 12 rounder during that time.
bigjake is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #42
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Corletti took the piss out of Chuvalo and boxed rings around him by accounts i've read, culminating in George securing a shot at Ali's crown.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #43
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post
Corletti took the piss out of Chuvalo and boxed rings around him by accounts i've read, culminating in George securing a shot at Ali's crown.
The truth is Terrell was pencilled in for that defence but the Boxing Authorites didnt like the associates of Bernie Glickman, Terrell's manager and they dropped the fight.Chuvalo was the substitute.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #44
bigjake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post
yes corletti did out box chuvalo by a good margin but in the final rounds chuvalo had caught up to him and had him busted up pretty well as i remember, but ran out of time
bigjake is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #45
bigjake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
The truth is Terrell was pencilled in for that defence but the Boxing Authorites didnt like the associates of Bernie Glickman, Terrell's manager and they dropped the fight.Chuvalo was the substitute.
i remember the fight well,march 29,1966 maple leaf gardens in toronto
bigjake is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum