Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-27-2009, 05:24 AM   #46
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Cooper

Lewis, Fitz and Farr clearly the best three british heavyweights ever- in that order. Cooper is in the next clutch, probably on a par with Bruno, I think he edges Frank in certain aspects: movement, more natural fighter, wicked hook, but Frank possesses more pure power, a better jab and was obviously the bigger man. I might put Cooper ahead of Bruno overall, but I think Bruno would stop Cooper if they ever met. Cooper is certainly better than Bugner and of course way above the likes of London, Dunn, etc.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #47
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab View Post
Lewis, Fitz and Farr clearly the best three british heavyweights ever- in that order. Cooper is in the next clutch, probably on a par with Bruno, I think he edges Frank in certain aspects: movement, more natural fighter, wicked hook, but Frank possesses more pure power, a better jab and was obviously the bigger man. I might put Cooper ahead of Bruno overall, but I think Bruno would stop Cooper if they ever met. Cooper is certainly better than Bugner and of course way above the likes of London, Dunn, etc.

As much as I would like to have him, Fitzy was not a Brit; he was American, or else he would never of got the shot against Corbett.

That apart I generally agree with your gist.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #48
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
As much as I would like to have him, Fitzy was not a Brit; he was American, or else he would never of got the shot against Corbett.

How do you work out Fitz was American?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #49
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post

new zealand?
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #50
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab View Post
I disagree with your assessment of Bugner. Outside of Lennox Lewis, it is questionable if any British heavyweight could have beaten the Bugner who fought Joe Frazier in 1973. Just check the fight on youtube.com.

For some reason Bugner has gotten a bum rap with fans...I don't think it is reasonable.

As a matter of fact, I believe that Henry Akinwande is vastly underrated, too. I cannot picture Cooper coping with the 6'7" Akinwande, who was a very good boxer with an 86" reach.

Check out of the columns of the excellent boxing scribe Graham Houston at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Houston also views Bugner as being possibly the best British heavy ever outside of Lewis.

Clearly, Lewis is the best British heavyweight of all time by a very wide margin. The next group of British heavies, in my opinion, consists of Bugner, Bruno, and Akinwande. After that comes Farr, and then comes Cooper.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #51
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomicideHenry View Post
Best HW British champ, imo, who never won the HW World title. I still think he won against Joe Bugner, in what was to be his last fight, but thats boxing.
Why do you believe that Cooper won the fight? I am interested in your assessment. In my view, it could have gone either way, as Bugner actually landed more punches than Cooper did. Bugner's left jab was the most consistent punch of the fight.

The London Times had Bugner winning by a point, too. I've watched the fight twice, once picking Cooper, and the other time picking Bugner. Very, very close.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 AM   #52
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West View Post
new zealand?

He gave up all his previous nationalities (British, New Zealander and Aussie) to get his shot at Corbett, who fought because Fitzy became a citizen of the USA.

Although born in Cornwall, I do not think anyone really claimed he was British, until we had gone 40/50 years without winning the World Heavyweight Championship.
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum