Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
tommy the hat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Ali and Parkinsons

Did Ali get Parkinson's Syndrome solely from the effects of boxing, or would he have gotten it anyway and the effects of boxing just made it worse?
tommy the hat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Ali and Parkinsons

got it from boxing. he was too brave for his own good. look at frazier - he can hardly talk - not good for you taking constant shots like they did in manila. if he retired after manila i don't think he woulda been as bad today. shavers couldn't have been good for his health. he was getting hit constantly in those last fights.
groove is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy the hat View Post
Did Ali get Parkinson's Syndrome solely from the effects of boxing, or would he have gotten it anyway and the effects of boxing just made it worse?
Ali's neurologists' opinions are that repeated blows to Ali's head caused irreparable damage to his brain stem, which damaged the dopamine-producing cells and produced his Parkinson's Syndrome.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

No way! You cannot say that people gets Parkinsons (Several versions of this illness) due to boxing or football. Most people who gets this illness has never boxed or played soccer. Of course you will not get better by taking punches from people like Shavers or Foreman over a long period of time.
Woller
Woller is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ali's brother Rahman Ali seems normal, so I gotta assume Muhammad Ali is suffering from the effects of his awesome competition that he faced in the ring....... Still, anybody can get Parkinson's......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Parkinson's syndrome can be caused from trauma. Parkinson's syndrome is different from Parkinson's Disease.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
markedwardscott
Contender
ESB Senior Member

A more direct question may be does he really have Parkinson's or does he have Dementia Pugilistica. Or both?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
markedwardscott is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Reading Ali's biography, it contained info that said that Ali also had a hole in the membrane separating the two sides of his brain, a condition that could be aggravated by blows to the head. There are differences between organic and non-organic forms of Parkinson's disease and syndrome. One occurs seemingly without a known cause; another occurs in all probability due to some obvious cause.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
birddog
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74 View Post
Reading Ali's biography, it contained info that said that Ali also had a hole in the membrane separating the two sides of his brain, a condition that could be aggravated by blows to the head. There are differences between organic and non-organic forms of Parkinson's disease and syndrome. One occurs seemingly without a known cause; another occurs in all probability due to some obvious cause.
Seems you know a bit about Parkinsons, I need to get educated. What is organic v non organic ( Does Organic = Genetic, and non organic = cause and effect?)

Dimentia, Pugilistic or genetic is a different condition than Parkinsons.
birddog is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Seems you know a bit about Parkinsons, I need to get educated. What is organic v non organic ( Does Organic = Genetic, and non organic = cause and effect?)

Dimentia, Pugilistic or genetic is a different condition than Parkinsons.
I'm a bit of a health/medical science nut, but I'm not an expert. But I did research extensively into Ali's condition and I read his autobiography, which included reports released from Ali's medical doctors (with Ali's permission) that all state that in all probability, Ali's Parkinson's syndrome (a collection of Parkinson's Disease-like symptoms) was directly caused and aggravated by "repeated blows to the head" that damaged his brain stem, the area that produces the dopamine secreting cells. Parkinson's syndrome and Parkinson's disease patients lack sufficient dopamine and have to take medication to supplement.

Organic Parkinson's disease/syndrome would be like Micahel J. Fox, a guy that gets sick without any obvious cause and/or injury....Unlike Ali, Fox didn't suffer repeated blows to the head over the course of years and years.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 AM   #11
TonyT
Journeyman

From Foreman. Holmes. If he did not face holmes whichI might add that Ali was way pasted his prime he might of gotten it later in life. oops from Smokin' joe frazier also. whew.
TonyT is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

it was likely because of the blows to the head. He shoulda retired after the last Frazier fight
dmt is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Ali's brother Rahman Ali seems normal, so I gotta assume Muhammad Ali is suffering from the effects of his awesome competition that he faced in the ring....... Still, anybody can get Parkinson's......

MR.BILL

i'm not so sure bill

makes me wonder if ali was destined to get parkinson's all along.

found this video on youtube and then found this old thread.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWkWEIIcbHk[/ame]
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that taking powerful blows to your head isn't good for you. This is clearly proven by years of evidence of punch drunk fighters and fighters with Parkinson's type symptoms, as well as all the problems we see with ex-football players. Ultimately, we allow warriors to make the choice to risk their long-term health for the potential glory and money. We allow lots of folks to do lots of risky things in this world, including smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol and jump out of airplanes, etc.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

One thing that caught my attention is that Ali was already showing mild signs of it as early as 1975, and in 1978 is was very clear. Very sad to see. The fact that it set on so early does imply he would've gotten it regardless - the majority only show effects several years after retirement, although there are exceptions. Still, it doesn't help to get hit as often as he did in the 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack View Post
as well as all the problems we see with ex-football players.
Being not from the US I can't say I've ever seen an example of this. What former football players show those symptoms?
ChrisPontius is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum