Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ali and Parkinsons

I meant American football. NFL players have lots of problems.
apollack is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
got it from boxing. he was too brave for his own good. look at frazier - he can hardly talk - not good for you taking constant shots like they did in manila. if he retired after manila i don't think he woulda been as bad today. shavers couldn't have been good for his health. he was getting hit constantly in those last fights.
Not soley, but it didn't help. I believe it worsened his condition. He may have only been in a "Michael J. Fox" type of state had he retired about 6 or 7 years earlier. Sorry, if that sounds rude... not my intention.
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ali had the "shit" beaten out of his head by some of the heaviest punchers of the 60's and 70's.....plus Holmes and Berbick did a job on him for good measure.

Ferdie his doctor quit in the mid-seventies because he knew too.

No one is speculating on the Quarry Bros. what happened to them.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Didn't Ali's father have parkinsons too?
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Think it was his grandad.
fg2227 is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #21
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

No one really knows if he did or didn't

Parkinson's is characterized by the decrease of dopamine in the niagarastriatal pathway and eventually the degeneration of the dopamine receptors themselves in that pathway.

The pathway is located deep within the center of the brain and trauma from a sport like boxing could cause it.
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #22
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
One thing that caught my attention is that Ali was already showing mild signs of it as early as 1975, and in 1978 is was very clear. Very sad to see. The fact that it set on so early does imply he would've gotten it regardless - the majority only show effects several years after retirement, although there are exceptions. Still, it doesn't help to get hit as often as he did in the 70's.

Being not from the US I can't say I've ever seen an example of this. What former football players show those symptoms?
Ali started taking professional punches to the head in 1960 when he turned pro, but he had been boxing since he was like 8 years old. When you add up all the punches he took during sparring sessions/training camps (yes, even with headgear on), his showing physical symptoms in 1975 or 1978 is really not that surprising. Even when Ali was young and fast, he still got hit, both in sparring and during fights.
For many years the Ali spin doctors would say that boxing had nothing to do with it (heck, even Ali said that), but all the medical professionals (at least the reputable ones) all say something different.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Anthony is 100% correct. Ali has Parkinsons SYNDROME, which is different from onset Parkinsons disease and is caused, in this case, by head trauma.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I never saw any symptoms with Ali back in 1975. First I remember was just before the second Spinks fight where I could hear slurring of words and Ali refusing to talk at times with his camp telling everyone it was Alis way to show how serious he was training for that fight.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Ali started to have some signs of issues even after the first Frazier fight, in which he took hellacious bombs throughout. Listen to how punch drunk he sounds after the fight in interviews. I've seen some footage of Ali's hand slightly tremoring even in 1971.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
Anthony is 100% correct. Ali has Parkinsons SYNDROME, which is different from onset Parkinsons disease and is caused, in this case, by head trauma.
Its the same thing

And if boxing really caused it then we'd see more fighters with it like we do with dementia
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #27
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ali doesn't have dementia because he's not demented.

His mind is as sharp as ever, according to the people around him.
BillB is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Remember reading in his biography - Muhammad Ali his life and times - which I got the day I met him and had a bit of a play fight with him haha - his doctor I think suggested or said that he thought Parkinson's might be caused or made worse by certain pesticides and stuff like that - and he said Ali's childhood home in Louisville back on to some crop field which were regularly sprayed with the certain pesticide - but really I don't know enough about it to be able to comment with any assurity to be honest
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #29
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysSplitNose View Post
Remember reading in his biography - Muhammad Ali his life and times - which I got the day I met him and had a bit of a play fight with him haha - his doctor I think suggested or said that he thought Parkinson's might be caused or made worse by certain pesticides and stuff like that - and he said Ali's childhood home in Louisville back on to some crop field which were regularly sprayed with the certain pesticide - but really I don't know enough about it to be able to comment with any assurity to be honest
Chlordane. That's what they were saying caused it at one time.
BillB is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #30
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post
Its the same thing

And if boxing really caused it then we'd see more fighters with it like we do with dementia
But everyone is different. Not all smokers get lung cancer or heart disease; not all obese people get diabetes or heart disease. But smoking and obesity are major risk factors (causes) of those diseases. Ali's brain chemistry and biology were different than TEx Cobb's or Joe Frazier's or George Chuvalo's. People are built differently and don't always respond to certain stimuli or environmental factors the same way.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum