Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-24-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Max Baer HW Ranking?

Top 20? Top 15?

His demo jobs on Schmeling and Carnera were incredible, and he's got a host of wins a tier below that.

Where's Baer come out at?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
asero
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Max Baer HW Ranking?

the weakest HW hall of famer
asero is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

His wins over Schmeling, Carnera, and a number of others, make him a noteworthy name in the grand scheme of history. But, I'm not sure that I'd rate him terribly high. His destruction of Primo Carnera was huge, but his loss to such a huge underdog in James Braddock over shadows it. He scored a convincing KO over Max Schmeling, however Baer was a rather large and hard hitting heavyweight facing a man who had spent much of his career at light heavyweight ( Yes I know he beat Louis ), yet battled him over many rounds. A prime and well seasoned Baer was beaten early and easily by a rather green and upcoming Joe Louis.

Baer was good, but he doesn't make my top 20.
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Old 05-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
HomicideHenry
Bareknuckle Brawler
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1061

One of the top hardest hitters of all time. One of the most charismatic characters in ring history. Schmeling, Carnera, Schaaf, all the big names fell to him. Outside of Louis and Braddock, he defeated most everyone available. His problem though, was that he wasnt consistant enough to keep himself at the top of the game. I'd rank him, as far as title holders go, inside the top 20.
HomicideHenry is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Top 25-30. No defintley not top 15.

Quote:
His demo jobs on Schmeling and Carnera were incredible, and he's got a host of wins a tier below that.

Im sure you watched only two rounds of each fight, because the scorecards were dead even going into the 10th round against Max Schmeling. I had it 4-4-1 myself. This was baers best fight. This was also schmelings worst filmed performance. I think Schmeling takes the rematch if it had gone off.

Also Primo Carnera won every round of there fight outside of 1st 2nd 10th and 11th by easily outboxing baer. the scorecards were actually very close.

His embarrasing loss to James Braddock was the worst performance in Heavyweight Lineage history by a champion.

Max Baer was an ATG puncher and recorded some great knockouts at his best. His Size Durability Punching Power and Handspeed made him a tough fighter to beat at his best. He is top 30 material. nothing more nothing less.
SuzieQ49 is online now  Top
Old 05-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Top 25-30. No defintley not top 15.

Im sure you watched only two rounds of each fight, because the scorecards were dead even going into the 10th round against Max Schmeling. I had it 4-4-1 myself. This was baers best fight. This was also schmelings worst filmed performance. I think Schmeling takes the rematch if it had gone off.

Also Primo Carnera won every round of there fight outside of 1st 2nd 10th and 11th by easily outboxing baer. the scorecards were actually very close.

His embarrasing loss to James Braddock was the worst performance in Heavyweight Lineage history by a champion.

Max Baer was an ATG puncher and recorded some great knockouts at his best. His Size Durability Punching Power and Handspeed made him a tough fighter to beat at his best. He is top 30 material. nothing more nothing less.
SuzieQ -- your PM is full. Can you clear it out?

Thanks!
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomicideHenry View Post
One of the top hardest hitters of all time. One of the most charismatic characters in ring history. Schmeling, Carnera, Schaaf, all the big names fell to him. Outside of Louis and Braddock, he defeated most everyone available. His problem though, was that he wasnt consistant enough to keep himself at the top of the game. I'd rank him, as far as title holders go, inside the top 20.
"Outside of Louis and Braddock, he defeated most everyone available"

I don't think so. He lost to Loughran, Uzcudun, and twice to Nova. Also, several men he did beat, Schaaf, Risko, and Farr, also beat him. A very erratic performer, but certainly charismatic in the extreme.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

in my top 50...[ number 40 ]
heerko koois is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Top 15 in my book
BUDW is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #10
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

He is not an easy fighter to rank for a number of reasons.

He was obviously verry inconsistent and actualy did worse vs common oponents than Primo Carnera. Despite this at his best he seems to have been something special when he got it together and might have been the best of the mid 30s champs head to head.

A top 20 ranking could be justified but I think that top 30 is more acurate.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
Colleen Aycock

My father was a fast prof. welter and was used to help train Baer. No doubt he was a hard hitter and deserves the high ranking for that, but speed appeared to be something he needed working on.
Colleen Aycock is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen Ay**** View Post
My father was a fast prof. welter and was used to help train Baer. No doubt he was a hard hitter and deserves the high ranking for that, but speed appeared to be something he needed working on.
Intersting. On film Baer seems to lack a jab, and effort. I often wonder if the Braddock fight was a fix.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Intersting. On film Baer seems to lack a jab, and effort. I often wonder if the Braddock fight was a fix.
Or Baer being so uninterested/fearful of hurting someone else he just cruised through it.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by asero View Post
the weakest HW hall of famer
Not as long as Ingemar Johannsen and Jim Braddock are in there! I'd put Sharkey below him too.

Baer was one of the hardest hitting HWs of all time, and had one of the best all-time HW chins to boot. I'd put him in the lower part of the top 20, maybe just outside it. Baer gets underrated by a lot of boxing fans.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
Not as long as Ingemar Johannsen and Jim Braddock are in there! I'd put Sharkey below him too.

Baer was one of the hardest hitting HWs of all time, and had one of the best all-time HW chins to boot. I'd put him in the lower part of the top 20, maybe just outside it. Baer gets underrated by a lot of boxing fans.

I personally think that both Ingo and Jack's resume have a bit more substance. Sharkey lost quite a few fights, but beat a better list of opponents in my opinion. Ingo was one of the few fighters who defeated every man he ever faced and that included prime versions of Machen and Patterson...
mr. magoo is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum