Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Can ranking Pacquiao over Chavez be justified?
I do rank Pacquiao over Chavez. 5 15.63%
It is valid/can be justified, though I'm not sure if I do. 19 59.38%
It can't be justified, Chavez has to be ranked higher. 5 15.63%
It's ludicrous/laughable. The two are incomparable, Chavez by light years. 0 0%
DINAMITA is a stupid Pactard and this thread is a waste of time! 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #16
HomicideHenry
Bareknuckle Brawler
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1061
Default Re: Whether you agree or disagree, can ranking Pacquiao over Chavez be justified?

Pacquia is a great fighter, no doubt about that, but Chavez is a legend.

I know that word is thrown around alot, but its no bullshit. The man borders on mythic in certain parts of the world. Its alot like Joe Louis. Louis probably would have lost to Ali, but Louis, for the most part, was just as big, if not bigger, than Muhammad Ali in his time. He wasnt just a great fighter, he was a legend in other aspects too.

Chavez in terms of reputation, in terms of fan base, in terms of appearance alone, is bigger than Pacquia is today.

Would I rank Pacquia over him? Maybe, if he secures a few more wins against guys like Mayweather, Cotto, and Williams....but for my money, Armstrong out does Pacquia for LIFE!
HomicideHenry is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #17
PunchOut
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Whether you agree or disagree, can ranking Pacquiao over Chavez be justified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl_Nose View Post
I'd say that Pac can be compared to Chavez .. But to compare either of these 2 guys to Hearns, Hagler and Jones is a stretch for me .. You can put Hopkins in with Pac and Chavez ..

Hagler, Hearns and Jones are far superior than any of the other guys mentioned in my opinion
for me Chavez is superior to Hagler, Hearns and Jones

Pac comes 5
PunchOut is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

Voted for option 2. I don't currently rank Pac higher than Chavez, but by the time it's all said and done Pac may well have earned a higher spot, and I think he's earned the right to put into the same tier as Chavez, (say around 10-15 spots on the ATG list) although probably not higher yet.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #19
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Also consider: Who won more World Championship bouts? Who defeated more past or present world champions? Who had the longer undefeated streak? More title defenses? Although Pacquaio is a great fighter, does he compare with a legend...
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
PunchOut
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by la-califa View Post
Also consider: Who won more World Championship bouts? Who defeated more past or present world champions? Who had the longer undefeated streak? More title defenses? Although Pacquaio is a great fighter, does he compare with a legend...
Agree
PunchOut is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #21
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl_Nose View Post
I think Duran and Pryor destroy Pac at 140. I think Duran destroys Chavez but i think Chavez could take Pryor ..
Styles make fights .. As a statistical record i think Pac can be compared to Pac but if there was a showdown between the 2 at 135 or 140 i'd go with Chavez ....

I'd go with Pernell to outbox Pac comfortably too
yes i agree Pac can be compared to Pac
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #22
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
yes i agree Pac can be compared to Pac
I disagree. Pac's clearly superior to Pac, and it's an insult to mention the two in the same sentence.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #23
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0052 View Post
I disagree. Pac's clearly superior to Pac, and it's an insult to mention the two in the same sentence.
well on one hand pac was better than pac but pac fought pac and got a bette result so is pac truly better than pac?
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #24
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

What maybe gets Pac rated over Chavez is the quality of opposition. On another thread the question is who is greater pacman or Hearns, and I say Hearns because of opposition and wins over opposition. With Chavez, Chavez dominated guys like Haugen and Rosario but did not beat up Oscar or Pernell. So I think he reached the level where he was not as good and couldn't dominate the same as he could before. Julio was still great, but he reached that level where he could not do as much. Pacman looks like he can go a little further by beating top level. I am still not convinced he can beat Mayweather. We will have to see how sharp Mayweather is with Marquez. I think he will beat Marquez but I am not sure how. A tough fight would be good for Mayweather. Would get the rust off. I do think Chavez would have beaten Hatton.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #25
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I have Chavez ahead but not by a huge margin pac can still add to his leagcy thier are a few massive fights out their for him.
Minotauro is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum