Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,573
vCash: 118
Default Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

KO percentages. And why?

Dick Tiger had 27 knockouts in 60 fights. Not particularly impressive on paper but many of the fighters he fought were extremely defensive and or even negative at times, and had great chins to boot.

Jose Torres 2x, Griffith 2x, Giardello 3x, Carter, Joey Archer, Don Fullmer (A true iron chin) Fullmer 3x, and both Mims and Henry Hank had legitmate iron chins.

I'm having a hard time thinking of very many fighters who fought more opposition with great chins then Tiger, actually.
Russell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,330
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Sam Langford's KO percentage isn't very high compared to many other fighters, but that only proves so much.

He fought bigger opponents, fought so often, carried fighters, etc...
Thread Stealer is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Davro
u wnt sum i`ll give it ya
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: wealdstone
Posts: 472
vCash: 75
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

this has been done to death now
Davro is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 13,495
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Jersey Joe Walcott. He could knock you out with 1 punch from either hand.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,573
vCash: 118
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Turpin View Post
this has been done to death now
No. It hasn't.
Russell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Iran Barkley
Jake LaMotta
Bob Satterfield
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,631
vCash: 166
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

I dont recall a thread like this before Dick.

I think Jake is a good choice..he had some impressive stoppages even though his KO percentage isnt particularly good.

A guy that I have heard mentioned as a puncher is Rocky Sekorski...after having a look I found he is ranked 25th in Ring's list of alltime punchers..Above guys like Danny Lopez, Pipino Ceuves, David Tua, Naseem Hamed and many more.

He had 11 KO's from 23 wins...Now I have only seen him in a losing effort against Foreman, and though he didnt seem like a bad fighter..he really seemed no better then a decent journeyman level and I saw no evidence of alltime great power.

The only big name I can see that he stopped was Leon Spinks...right at the start of his career spiral, where he would go on to have 1-6-1 record for the next 2 years. He wasnt the first fighter to stop Leon and he certainly would not be the last.

How the hell can he even be in the top 100 alltime punchers, let alone be ranked 25th!!! Thats even worse then having Galaxy in the top 50 fighters of alltime in their "80 best fighters in the last 80 years" list.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
A guy that I have heard mentioned as a puncher is Rocky Sekorski...after having a look I found he is ranked 25th in Ring's list of alltime punchers..Above guys like Danny Lopez, Pipino Ceuves, David Tua, Naseem Hamed and many more.

He had 11 KO's from 23 wins...Now I have only seen him in a losing effort against Foreman, and though he didnt seem like a bad fighter..he really seemed no better then a decent journeyman level and I saw no evidence of alltime great power.

The only big name I can see that he stopped was Leon Spinks...right at the start of his career spiral, where he would go on to have 1-6-1 record for the next 2 years. He wasnt the first fighter to stop Leon and he certainly would not be the last.

How the hell can he even be in the top 100 alltime punchers, let alone be ranked 25th!!! Thats even worse then having Galaxy in the top 50 fighters of alltime in their "80 best fighters in the last 80 years" list.
Ring pulled a fast one on us. I'd never even heard of this bum, or seen him on the list prior to your post, and Ring has him as a top 25 puncher of all time? That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,631
vCash: 166
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Ring pulled a fast one on us. I'd never even heard of this bum, or seen him on the list prior to your post, and Ring has him as a top 25 puncher of all time? That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard.

I had heard someone say his name before and use this list as proof he was a big puncher.

But there is absolutely nothing to suggest he is..he got rolled by Big George.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 AM   #10
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,330
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
I dont recall a thread like this before Dick.

I think Jake is a good choice..he had some impressive stoppages even though his KO percentage isnt particularly good.

A guy that I have heard mentioned as a puncher is Rocky Sekorski...after having a look I found he is ranked 25th in Ring's list of alltime punchers..Above guys like Danny Lopez, Pipino Ceuves, David Tua, Naseem Hamed and many more.

He had 11 KO's from 23 wins...Now I have only seen him in a losing effort against Foreman, and though he didnt seem like a bad fighter..he really seemed no better then a decent journeyman level and I saw no evidence of alltime great power.

The only big name I can see that he stopped was Leon Spinks...right at the start of his career spiral, where he would go on to have 1-6-1 record for the next 2 years. He wasnt the first fighter to stop Leon and he certainly would not be the last.

How the hell can he even be in the top 100 alltime punchers, let alone be ranked 25th!!! Thats even worse then having Galaxy in the top 50 fighters of alltime in their "80 best fighters in the last 80 years" list.
I don't know where got him at #25 from.

I have the issue and there is no mention of this Sesorki who I have never heard of.

Julian Jackson is ranked #25.
Thread Stealer is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 AM   #11
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 1210
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Ring's list was BS anyway. Things like
24. Matthew Saad Muhammad
25. Julian Jackson

28.Roberto Duran
30.Felix Trinidad
31.Pipino Cuevas

32.Jim Jeffries
33.Lennox Lewis

39.Joe Frazier
48.David Tua

They all were either completely drunk or amazingly stupid.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #12
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Bobby Czyz had more power than his record showed.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,629
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Chris Eubank
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Ring pulled a fast one on us. I'd never even heard of this bum, or seen him on the list prior to your post, and Ring has him as a top 25 puncher of all time? That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard.
It should be Rocky Graziano, not Sekorski. Someone must've had fun with Wikipedia, probably Sekorski himself.

The real list:

1. Joe Louis
2. Sam Langford
3. Jimmy Wilde
4. Archie Moore
5. Sandy Saddler
6. Stanley Ketchel
7. Jack Dempsey
8. Bob Fitzsimmons
9. George Foreman
10. Earnie Shavers
11. Sugar Ray Robinson
12. Ruben Olivares
13. Wilfredo Gómez
14. Rocky Marciano
15. Sonny Liston
16. Mike Tyson
17. Bob Foster
18. Thomas Hearns
19. Khaosai Galaxy
20. Alexis Arguello
21. Carlos Zarate
22. Max Baer
23. Rocky Graziano
24. Matthew Saad Muhammad
25. Julian Jackson
26. Danny Lopez
27. Gerald McClellan
28. Roberto Duran
29. Rodrigo Valdez
30. Félix Trinidad
31. Jose Cuevas
32. Jim Jeffries
33. Lennox Lewis
34. Bennie Briscoe
35. Marvin Hagler
36. Edwin Rosario
37. Tommy Ryan
38. John Mugabi
39. Joe Frazier
40. Carlos Monzon
41. Tony Zale
42. Michael Spinks
43. Joe Gans
44. Elmer Ray
45. George Godfrey
46. Naseem Hamed
47. Alfonso Zamora
48. David Tua
49. Cleveland Williams
50. Julio Cesar Chavez
51. Tiger Jack Fox
52. Joe Walcott
53. Gerry Cooney
54. Al Bummy Davis
55. Max Schmeling
56. Florentino Fernandez
57. Henry Armstrong
58. Bob Satterfield
59. Al Hostak
60. Jesus Pimentel
61. Eugene Hart
62. Lew Jenkins
63. Harry Wills
64. Tom Sharkey
65. Terry McGovern
66. Jersey Joe Walcott
67. Kostya Tszyu
68. Leotis Martin
69. Buddy Baer
70. Donovan Ruddock
71. Jose Luis Ramirez
72. Tommy Gómez
73. Jose Napoles
74. Kid McCoy
75. Antonio Esparragoza
76. Ricardo Moreno
77. Evander Holyfield
78. Ike Williams
79. Luis Firpo
80. Ricardo Lopez
81. Humberto Gonzalez
82. Bobby Chacon
83. Jock McAvoy
84. Eduardo Lause
85. Eder Jofre
86. Charley Burley
87. Mike McCallum
88. Salvador Sánchez
89. Roy Jones Jr.
90. Rodolfo Gonzalez
91. Nigel Benn
92. Irish Bob Murphy
93. Paul Berlenbach
94. Battling Torres
95. Chalky Wright
96. George Chaney
97. Andy Ganigan
98. Fred Fulton
99. Ingemar Johansson
100. Charley White
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 AM   #15
PernellSweetPea
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,215
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters Who Could Punch But Had Low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
It should be Rocky Graziano, not Sekorski. Someone must've had fun with Wikipedia, probably Sekorski himself.

The real list:

1. Joe Louis
2. Sam Langford
3. Jimmy Wilde
4. Archie Moore
5. Sandy Saddler
6. Stanley Ketchel
7. Jack Dempsey
8. Bob Fitzsimmons
9. George Foreman
10. Earnie Shavers
11. Sugar Ray Robinson
12. Ruben Olivares
13. Wilfredo Gómez
14. Rocky Marciano
15. Sonny Liston
16. Mike Tyson
17. Bob Foster
18. Thomas Hearns
19. Khaosai Galaxy
20. Alexis Arguello
21. Carlos Zarate
22. Max Baer
23. Rocky Graziano
24. Matthew Saad Muhammad
25. Julian Jackson
26. Danny Lopez
27. Gerald McClellan
28. Roberto Duran
29. Rodrigo Valdez
30. Félix Trinidad
31. Jose Cuevas
32. Jim Jeffries
33. Lennox Lewis
34. Bennie Briscoe
35. Marvin Hagler
36. Edwin Rosario
37. Tommy Ryan
38. John Mugabi
39. Joe Frazier
40. Carlos Monzon
41. Tony Zale
42. Michael Spinks
43. Joe Gans
44. Elmer Ray
45. George Godfrey
46. Naseem Hamed
47. Alfonso Zamora
48. David Tua
49. Cleveland Williams
50. Julio Cesar Chavez
51. Tiger Jack Fox
52. Joe Walcott
53. Gerry Cooney
54. Al Bummy Davis
55. Max Schmeling
56. Florentino Fernandez
57. Henry Armstrong
58. Bob Satterfield
59. Al Hostak
60. Jesus Pimentel
61. Eugene Hart
62. Lew Jenkins
63. Harry Wills
64. Tom Sharkey
65. Terry McGovern
66. Jersey Joe Walcott
67. Kostya Tszyu
68. Leotis Martin
69. Buddy Baer
70. Donovan Ruddock
71. Jose Luis Ramirez
72. Tommy Gómez
73. Jose Napoles
74. Kid McCoy
75. Antonio Esparragoza
76. Ricardo Moreno
77. Evander Holyfield
78. Ike Williams
79. Luis Firpo
80. Ricardo Lopez
81. Humberto Gonzalez
82. Bobby Chacon
83. Jock McAvoy
84. Eduardo Lause
85. Eder Jofre
86. Charley Burley
87. Mike McCallum
88. Salvador Sánchez
89. Roy Jones Jr.
90. Rodolfo Gonzalez
91. Nigel Benn
92. Irish Bob Murphy
93. Paul Berlenbach
94. Battling Torres
95. Chalky Wright
96. George Chaney
97. Andy Ganigan
98. Fred Fulton
99. Ingemar Johansson
100. Charley White
This lists are something else. With the footage we have of Langford and his quality of opposition, can we really say he punches harder than Bob Foster or Tyson or Hearns? Sometimes I think the makers of these lists put in older names at the top just to prove the list is made by someone who claims to know all of boxing history. Seems like bs a little. Fred Fulton number 98. Yep this is a legit list. There is no way Tua punches as hard as George Godfrey.
PernellSweetPea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015