Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Why did some people pick Tyson to beat Lewis.....

when all rational and logical thought processes would suggest that it wasn't possible?

In particular I am referring to Sky pundits - especially Glenn McCrory, a former Lewis opponent and Tyson sparring partner.

Tyson hadn't beaten a live, quality opponent since Ruddock, prior to his spell in jail, and had been out of competitive fights for the past five years.... the most recent of those were back to back stoppage losses to Evander Holyfield.

Thoughts?
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why did some people pick Tyson to beat Lewis.....

Well Tyson still had a big punch and Lewis had been stopped twice before by fighters who did not hit as hard. i suppose people belived Tyson could land a big right and end things there but Lewis was too good and too well prepared for that, and Tyson was well past his prime.
dmt is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Blame Rahman, I pick Tyson also.

I thought in theory, if Rahman can ko Lewis with once punch, than Tyson with his power should do it pretty much the same way.

It didnt happen as things turn out. But I thought at the time, that Tyson's power will find Lewis's "Glass" chin.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt View Post
Well Tyson still had a big punch and Lewis had been stopped twice before by fighters who did not hit as hard. i suppose people belived Tyson could land a big right and end things there but Lewis was too good and too well prepared for that, and Tyson was well past his prime.

Agreed,

It was the notion that he still had a puncher's chance, against a man who had been previously KO'd by two lesser hitters.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I guess a lot of people were just hoping against hope that he had something left in order to give Lewis a going over.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Arka

I picked Lewis.

I don't think in his heart of heart even Glen McCrory believed Tyson would beat Lewis at this stage of their career.
I recall in a 2000 article for Boxing Monthly about Glenn McCrory's time as a sparring partner for Tyson,he said that Tyson was unbelievable when he faced him, but that ,now, technically he had lost it.

I recall Holmes picking Tyson to win as well.

Last edited by Arka; 05-28-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Arka is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
tommy the hat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Because the one thing Tyon could still do at that time was punch with power, and Lennox Lewis was only 2 fights and 1 year removed from getting knocked out by Hasim Rahman with one punch. Many felt if Rahman could do it, then certainly Tyson could pull it off.
For thr record, I still picked Lennox to win the fight in spite of his sometimes questionable chin.Tyson was too far gone by that point.
tommy the hat is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
punchy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tyson still had the Aura you guys seem to be too young to remember this, it was also a fight that would bring out the real Tyson.
punchy is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Tyson actually got serious and hired Tommy Brooks and looked like he wanted to fight Lewisfor a short period. After the series of Francis, Savarese and GOlota, Tyson's weight was in the mid 220's and he was putting it together pretty well. I felt he would have had his best chance against Lewis at that time. Problems arose again, Tysons weight was 240 for Nielson, he fired Brooks, and started working with Panama Lewis and ROnnie Shields and trains in Hawaii??
I think at that point most people felt he had a punchers chance, and Lewis for sure didnt take Rahman seriously, but for Tyson he would be. I didnt give Tyson much of a shot.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Arka

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy View Post
Tyson still had the Aura you guys seem to be too young to remember this, it was also a fight that would bring out the real Tyson.
I remember, before every Tyson fight after the first Holyfield loss, the word would go out from the training camp that we would see the real Tyson.

No....
Arka is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

The one I was most surprised about was Foreman picking Tyson. Foreman was a Lewis supporter but really seemed to think Tyson would be too strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
I recall Holmes picking Tyson to win as well.
I struggle to remember a fight where Holmes didn't pick against Lewis.
Some real Johnson/Louis stuff there.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
The one I was most surprised about was Foreman picking Tyson. Foreman was a Lewis supporter but really seemed to think Tyson would be too strong.

Holmes' jealousy was/is legendary. He's always had a hard time giving props and/or respect to other fighters.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD View Post

Belive Holmes was always picking against Tyson and Lewis I belive. Who ever was top dog at the time.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
HomicideHenry
Bareknuckle Brawler
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1061

I think, in my case, it was a matter of my heart was bypassing my mind. I believed Lewis to be nothing but a glass jawed ****y son of a bitch, and all it would take for Tyson was one solid shot to put the Brit away. I remember the first round being ALL Tyson, and Lewis appeared to have glazed eyes at the end of that round. I was laughing my ass off and started saying "Lewis, its tea time!", but then...the inevitable happened, from rounds two through seven, it was apparent Mike had nothing left to offer, and in round eight it was all over. I remember crying in disbelief.

Had the Tyson of the Berbick/Bruno/Tubbs/Holmes fights had been in that ring against Lewis that night, there's no question in my mind, Lewis would have been taken out in that first round or in the second. But, of course, we'll never know that for sure.

The old guys have Louis getting decked by Marciano, I have Tyson getting demolished by Lewis. Both those losses came in the 8th round. Ironic, isnt it? Both arguably, were ends of an era.
HomicideHenry is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I picked Lewis by ko in the seventh, I was just off. On the night, I was routing for Lewis and I was extremely nervous, I I ceased to be confident about my pick at all. Tyson's aura effects people. The reason I picked Lewis to win was because I saw the Nielsen fight and I knew then that Tyson didn't have it any more. But again, come fight night that thing Tyson has, that 'aura' ****s with your head.
Also, a lot of people have seriously underrated Lewis for his whole career and you only have to look at what the Klitschko lunatics say on this site to know that some still do.
mrbassie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum