Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-01-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619
Default How much does a person's age influence their boxing interests?

I mean, is it very common for most people to be more interested in the fighters of their own era? Have you noticed if younger people tend to disregard past fighters in favor for more modern fighters? If so what about modern fighters attracts younger people? Just being able to see them live or what? Personally, I'm 19 years old and my two favorite fighters of all time are Jack Dempsey and Stanley Ketchel and I only have one active fighter in my all time favorites list (Shane Mosley).
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 AM   #2
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How much does a person's age influence their boxing interests?

Your situation is a bit rare (see the General Forum for countless references).

I have to admit a bit of fault of my own in this regard. I am an 80's kid, and speak here mostly of fighters from my own era. Can't help it; that's just what I was raised on; Sanchez, Gomez, Hagler, Holmes, Leonard, Hearns, Spinks, etc.

I do try to branch out a bit, and my new pet project is the southern California scene in the late 60's-early 70's. My heart is still with the 80's though, because that's when it all seemed so new. I think everyone is susceptible to this.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #3
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

I'm intereseted in fighters from all eras, from bareknuckles to today. A lot of my favorite fighters come from past times too.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 02:13 AM   #4
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

I am a fan of all fighters, but you cant blame people for liking the fighters of their own era, b/c thats wat they are brought up on. I for one most of my favorite fighters are from 2days era, or the 90's b/c thats what I was growing up watching.
Roy Jones who is my favorite fighter of all time
Floyd MAyweather
2 name 2 of my favorite. But I box also and I also respect the older fighters as well b/c they paved the way for the newer generation. And there was some very skilled fighters back then as well.
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

I'm 18 and haven't been that interested in the fight game for a good while, it wasn't until I saw Juan Manuel Marquez vs Pac Man that I became really interested in the sport. Before that, I hadn't had much opportunity to see the best bouts 'cus they always happen early in the morning over here.

Having said that, I tend to have a bias towards Ali, it started off because my dad was a huge fan and he'd tell me about him. Then I'd go out and watch all his fights, and I became more impressed every time, and that with all of the political work he did, he's my favourite fighter ever no doubt.

I tend not to bring up top 10 lists and such because I'm not that well informed to give my own list yet. After watching really old fighters like Willie Pep and Sugar Ray robinson fight on video, I happen to think that some of the older fighters were more myths than anything.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmomer
I mean, is it very common for most people to be more interested in the fighters of their own era? Have you noticed if younger people tend to disregard past fighters in favor for more modern fighters? If so what about modern fighters attracts younger people? Just being able to see them live or what? Personally, I'm 19 years old and my two favorite fighters of all time are Jack Dempsey and Stanley Ketchel and I only have one active fighter in my all time favorites list (Shane Mosley).
I think you naturally lean towards your own era,in the 20,s and 30,s Dempsey was reted highly inthe ATG heavies list,in the 40,s and 50,s Louis took over and Dempsey faded a bit ,then came Ali and Dempsey slipped a bit more as his fans died. I m probably as biased as anyone I tend to think fighters of my own era and past time are superior to the present crop.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 06:26 AM   #7
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

i think a memorable era for many loyal fans was when the heavyweight division saw a young saviour arise in the form of Mike Tyson, it gave hope that Ali was not the last chance for people to see a real mega champ...

I was around 14 when Mike raced through the division, he made my hair stand on end the way he demolished grown man much larger and older than him at just a mere young mans age.. (18 years)
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #8
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Psychological research has shown that a person makes up most of his personal interests - favorite music type/bands, movies and yes, also favorite fighters, between the age of 13 and 26.

People that grew up in the 70's will usually recognise the 70's as the golden era, people that grew up in the 80's will usually admit that it wasn't the greatest time for heavyweights, but will still be most interested in fights from that period and always have either Leonard, Duran, Hearns or Hagler as one of their favorite fighters, people that grew up in the 90's will claim that period to be the greatest period of boxing, etc etc.

Of course this just statistical measure, but it applies pretty well. Which fighter is your favorite has all to do with emotion. The rational as to why is only made up after that. Some people will go extemely far and it is rather amusing to see sometimes, see RedRooster for instance.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I draw my interests from all different kinds of eras in terms of boxing. It's got nothing to do with my age or how old I was when I first got into the game at all.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

I agree with Chris Pontius. Most of my 'loves': music, films, fighters, etc, came from the ages of 13-20ish. As much as I liked, say OK Computer, when I first heard it, it just couldn't compare with the excitement I had when I first heard Led Zep II- in 1987 or Revolver a year or so before. My favourite boxers are the same now as they were 15 years ago (although I don't like Ali as much possibly, he's still Top 3 no matter). Fave films: Cuckoo's Nest, Life of Brian, Taxi Driver. Same as they were in 1990. The 1970s are my favourite decade for boxing (the one I was born in) although the 1980s I spent most of my teenage years in. Prefer the 1970s becuase the nationalities of the champs was so diverse. The Eighties saw US fighters receive home advantage in virtually every fight- yawn. No wonder they were so successful.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #11
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

I like the older eras best, But I was a kid during the Holyfiled, Bowe, Tyson, Chavez, Tapia, Jones Jr, DLH, Mosely, Vargas, Fan man era lol.

Oh yeah and Butterbean lol.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=ChrisPontius]Psychological research has shown that a person makes up most of his personal interests - favorite music type/bands, movies and yes, also favorite fighters, between the age of 13 and 26.

This really strikes a chord, CP, though I've never seen the study. Sports music, movies, you name it.

I love and get excited by new things -- genuinely appreciate them -- but there's not the same attachment .

The buzz of a great fight, the electricity of a Pacquiao entrance, the 10th round of Corrales-Castillo I, bring the same chills as when I was a kid in the Stone Age.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

For me, a little reading can create something of a time warp. I enjoy hanging out at a large nearby second hand bookstore. It's always been very easy for me to confuse people into thinking I'm a much older person. Tastes change, but the knowledge previously accrued is retained. I've had numerous contemporary interests long since discarded. When I has a kid, I was a very hardcore Doors fan, but I've long since outgrown them completely. Once upon a time, pro wrestling was a consuming interest, but now I couldn't care less. I expect to continue evolving a passion for various subjects I'm utterly indifferent to at the moment, just as I vividly remember a time before I had any care or thought about boxing, an attitude similar to what I hold about contemporary boxing.

Last edited by joeburo; 05-27-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #14
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I am 28 years old and grew up in the Tyson era yet my interests are mainly in fighters who died before I was born.

Not everything in black and white makes sense.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #15
dav8d777
Journeyman

[quote=janitor]I am 28 years old and grew up in the Tyson era yet my interests are mainly in fighters who died before I was born.

I think it has a big effect on me. I'm 48 and have been a fan since Ali's comeback. I think one of the problems is that there is always a lot more past than present.

As a fan of older boxing one gets to see about a hundred years of champs in various weight classes, so in a way the past really should trump the present.

I think the 70s were the golden age of heavyweights, but the 50's and 80's were great years for welters... I think today that there are really good fighters at lower weights, but the alphabet soup etc. and the million weight classes have really dulled things down.

Also, we tend to check out the heavyweights and there have not been many dominant ones except for Tyson.
dav8d777 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum