Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
peter123herr

vCash: 1000
Default Going to start boxing

Hey guys,

I just started attend San Jose State, and they are have try-outs this month and i think i'm going to try out. I'm 5'6 and around 120-130. I always liked boxing but never had the chance to do anything about it but boxed around with friends and family, so yeah, I'm looking forward to it. So, uhh, I'll keep y'all updated.

w00t!
peter123herr is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Default Re: Going to start boxing

good luck
amy is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
The_Hammer

Is boxing a big thing at colleges? Like, is it something anybody could get a scholarship on?
The_Hammer is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
peter123herr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hammer
Is boxing a big thing at colleges? Like, is it something anybody could get a scholarship on?

i dont think so, boxing is ban by NCAA, so yeah, it just a club boxing that they are giving out
Old 09-01-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
Thriller
Journeyman

try outs for boxing?
Thriller is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Your going to a tryout for boxing and you've never boxed before?
Umm good luck.

And yeah, tryouts for boxing? lol
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123herr
i dont think so, boxing is ban by NCAA, so yeah, it just a club boxing that they are giving out
It's not banned by the NCAA; most school don't have programs for it. The one school that did was NMU (The Olympic Education Center), and they're cutting the program for financial reasons.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #8
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yeah, only place I can think of with a boxing team is like the Army and Navy.
His school probably has a student run boxing club.
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
peter123herr

Yeah, it is a studen run club. And, i'm just trying to learn the basics, trainer will teach. I haven't been to their gym yet, but im gonna check it out soon. And i dont think i suck, but i can still learn alot (whole lot).
Old 09-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

from: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Kelp has found new success today in boxing, albeit in a new role, that of trainer. In 1997, Kelp was training executives when he and a client were hanging around, watching the collegiate boxing championships on ESPN, when an idea struck them. "We wondered why Las Vegas, the boxing capital of the world, didn't have a college boxing team," says Kelp. After doing the research on how to get recognition as a club sport from the university and getting approval from the National Collegiate Boxing Association (NCBA), Kelp's dream was a reality, and Kelp says "we've been going strong ever since."

The UNLV boxing club is privately funded through donations from the community and local businesses, and produced a national champion in its first year of competition. The club sports over 50 members including a few females. Asked for his opinion on women's boxing, Kelp responds "I won't be judgmental. If that's something that they want to do then I'm all for it. My whole thing is that as long as they treat it with professionalism as men do. The ladies on my boxing team approach the sport the same way. I feel if they can do that, and put in the effort and time that it takes then they deserve the opportunity to compete."

The boxing team has what is termed "club status" and is not an NCAA sport. However, there are 26 such boxing teams in the country, all governed by the aforementioned NCBA. Kelp would like to see boxing return to the NCAA, but admits that it would be "a high hill to climb." Further, Kelp says that "it would draw in a lot more fans. You would have a fan base would recognize the sport through a national institution as opposed to an individual. The positive thing would be if scholarships would be given to boxers. My kids don't get them, but it would put boxing on a better path. To be honest, boxing is a dead end road for most young people and it's unfortunate but only a handful of people ever make a living in this sport. If they had an opportunity to compete on the highest level of amateur boxing and get a degree out of it and have something to fall back on. That's a perfect world, but will it ever happen? I doubt it."

While boxing is not and has not been a recognized NCAA sport in quite some time, Kelp still enjoys his new role in boxing.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing