Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Classic Forum Opinion:Sonny Liston v. Rid**** Bowe

Liston.

Bowe was always hittable, probably more of a reason for his early demise even more so then his weight issues.

Bowe did have a great jab but it wasn't consistent to say the least. Liston's was, and I believe his reach was even a big better then Bowe's.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
godking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Bowe gets stopped and badly hurt within 8 Rounds

No defense inability to handle a jab poor footwork likes to brawl makes this fight a nightmare for Bowe.
godking is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I will go with popular opinion and pick Liston for many of the same reasons that Russell and Godking have provided. No reason to repeat them..

I do however feel that Bowe could have potentially been one of Liston's tougher opponents and certainly better legacy wins ( outside of Paterson. ) His size, strength, athleticism, chin and boxing ability ( inconsistent ) could have given Liston fits.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

I think it all comes down to how well a punch Bowe can take. We've never seen him tested against a big hitter. Holyfield and Golota both had him down, although he took tremendous punishment before that, and got up and kept fighting on all three occasions.

I'd make Liston a 5:3 favorite.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Liston.

Bowe was always hittable, probably more of a reason for his early demise even more so then his weight issues.

Bowe did have a great jab but it wasn't consistent to say the least. Liston's was, and I believe his reach was even a big better then Bowe's.

Liston is a bad, bad matchup for Bowe.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post

I do however feel that Bowe could have potentially been one of Liston's tougher opponents and certainly better legacy wins ( outside of Paterson. )
Definitely.

Bowe at his best was better than anyone Liston beat, it would be a great win.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Bowe's durability make him a factor in the fight, but Liston is the better boxer, period. Liston's totem pole jab should offset Bowe's excellent long game, imo.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
sauhund II
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well, instead of fighting skinny cruisers.middles who by the way broke his jaw he would be fighting a legitimate BIG guy with way above average skills and stamina. Liston was SLOW to the extreme and Bowe easily matches him jab for jab and as far as infighting is concerned no contest, Bowe again.

Even when Bowe was washed up nobody could keep him down and the word quit does not exist in his dictionary. Eddie Futch will easily lay out the blueprint for a clear points win or late stoppage for Bowe. Ths is not some over rated journeyman Cat Willaims we are talking about, this is a legitimate HWT champ who fights three minutes a round and will send the ugly bear packing .

Any fighter that Sonny beat in his career are cakewalks for Bowe, fact not fiction. Ali is the only exception and he will give a way tougher fight than Quiter Liston ever could muster up.

Now some armchair clown is coming out that Bowe was hit xxxx% , lol, time to learn the fight game, when you have a chin and a agressive fighting style that what is going to happen.

Anyway, Bowe will take this one and good ol' Sonny was never hit that hard that often in any fight he has ever been in.
sauhund II is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #10
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I actually could see Bowe winning this...Im hearing the argument for Liston and its probably more valid but I think Bowe is more skilled operator.

He was a very good infighter and had good overall stand up skills...he had a pretty good workrate for a big guy.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 AM   #11
HomicideHenry
Bareknuckle Brawler
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1061

Had Bowe had more self control, buckled down, he would have been one of the ATG HW's imo. Liston's resume has the better opponents losing to him than Bowe does, but for a man to defeat Holyfield in his prime twice, and be so mobile for such a big man...I can see him giving Liston a bunch of tactical problems in the ring...that of course, if the conditioned, focused, serious, Bowe came up.

I see the fight possibly going the distance, with Liston winning, though, via decision.
HomicideHenry is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Nice match up. Both would be the best they fought. Do you go with Liston's edge on power, and defense or Bowe's edge on size, speed, and heart?

I think Liston intangibles could be tested in this fight, and point deductions, retirements, or cuts might play a role. I would not say they will, but in a close match up, it tips the scales toward Bowe. I also think Liston chin though good might be a tad over rated. Bowe certainly hit hard enough to score a stoppage win.

But in the end Bowe did not have good defense, and Liston's jab and right hand would prove to be the difference, but Sonny better get the job done before the flow of the fight changes, and he has to make a heart check.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Liston was very heavy handed, although I think Bowe lasts the distance (over 12)

15 rounds are not really required here, especially as most seem to think Liston would smash Bowe to pieces early anyway.

IMO, Bowe has a fantastic jab, and with Liston being shorter, he would be perfect foil for Bowe's uppercuts. Bowe could fight on the inside well, but I go for the man with the more consistent jab, and I say Liston via points over 12.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #14
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Bowe loved those give and take type of brawls. Liston is a very dangerous man with underrated boxing skills.

Liston KO 7 Bowe
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #15
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomicideHenry View Post
Had Bowe had more self control, buckled down, he would have been one of the ATG HW's imo.
Yes he really should have been. Such a waste of talent really.
Doppleganger is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum