Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
Clydebank Blitz
Don't Be Scared Homie
ESB Full Member

vCash: 454
Default MMA Vs Boxing in 2012

Now, I've signed up to a boxing site and not an MMA site, so I'm sure that shows which I prefer and where my loyalties lie. I've been watching boxing for like 8 years, really following it, and watching MMA for about 2 years, only receintly getting into it. Latley however, I've really thought that in 2012, MMA will surpass boxing, and I think no matter which sport you prefer, looking at the progression as of late really reflects it.

Boxing has not put on a classic any time receintly. Fights are riddled with politics and controversy. There is one fight we all want to see, and it still couldnt be made in like 5 years. I think over the next 12 months in MMA, we'll see the two biggest single weight fights out there, Anderson Silva Vs Chael Sonnen and Nick Diaz Vs GSP. That's not to mention Jon Jones, Alistar Overeem and most likley more Strikeforce fighters joining the UFC roster. Looking at the same time frame in boxing, I think we'll be let down on the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight again, and there will be just a hand full of legitimate title unification fights, most looking like the WB? Vs the IBF.

We've had two of the most original front kick knockouts, one of the best fights ever in Shogun Vs Henderson, one of the best submissions ever in Mir Vs Nog, one of the best knockouts ever in Barboza Vs Etim. And I don't think we had a best anything over the last year. Maybe David Haye with the best excuse.

I'll still love boxing for the rest of my life, but I think if we can't just do what needs to be done in boxing, then MMA and specifically UFC will rise above over the next year.
Clydebank Blitz is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100
Default Re: MMA Vs Boxing in 2012

I think it doesn't have to be Boxing vs. MMA and you don't have to enjoy one and hate the other.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Clydebank Blitz
Don't Be Scared Homie
ESB Full Member

They will always be compaired, and they should be. They are the front runners of combat sport, and someone obviously wants to push out in front. I think you're attitude is the same as the attitude of most high level officials in boxing, which is exactly why I think MMA will push out in front.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

Not really. High level officials in boxing think MMA is shit and refuse to give it the time of the day whereas I'm the opposite, the reason most boxing fans hate MMA is because it's threatening and they refuse to get past the "gay men wrestling eachother" image.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
Clydebank Blitz
Don't Be Scared Homie
ESB Full Member

Then apparently you're attitude is not that of high level boxing officials .

I understand people not liking MMA if all they watched was a GSP fight or something.

Boxing don't even need to compete, what boxing needs to do is improve. Simple as. I don't think it's even a compition right now as any fight the UFC wants WILL happen. We can't get two ****ing guys into a ring for hundreds of millions yet we can get anyone into the octagon for what ESPN calls 'unfair pay'. Boxing needs to sort itself out and get the fights we want to see happening. Then maybe the compition will be good.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I ****ing LOVE Sonia!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUmFD8_0q9U[/ame]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

What is this? Another boxing vs MMA thread?

Listen brah... We all love boxing... That is why we joined Eastsideboxing.com. Some of us love martial arts*... That is why we post here.

Fin.

Lynchburg

*apart from trolls like Hendo
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

They can coexist, but they will compete.

I think the politics and controversy of boxing overshadows the great fights 2011 has had, and people sometimes underestimate the positive effects it can have on people's passions and opinions in the sport. IMO there has never been a shortage of exciting fights in boxing. Cotto just put on a masterclass of mobile boxing against Margarito in a sold out MSG; we saw the historic Hopkins VS Pascal II; Rios VS Acosta/Antillon/Murray, Morales VS Maidana, Ortiz VS Berto, Cayo/Khan VS Peterson, Salido VS Lopez, Wolak VS Rodriguez, Arce VS Vasquez Jr., Kirkland VS Angulo, and Ward VS Froch in the Super Six Finale were ALL exciting, competitive fights, many in which the scripted narrative for the sport was turned on its head in excitedly shocking fashion. The entertainment value is certainly there.

As far as Mayweather-Pacquiao goes, think of it this way; if they finally decide to get it on, mainstream media outlets from a very wide variety and a broad global landscape are going to promote it non-stop. When an MMA superfight happens, I doubt it will ever reach those heights. This is considering boxing is at a historically lower point with room to get back on its feet, while MMA is trying it's damndest with the best athletes they've ever had. The newer generations look bright, but there's no guarantee they'll be better, more visibly dominant in their divisions, or more spectacular within MMA, as I've said previously:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
I feel like MMA's versatility may backfire on itself in this regard though. Only a few fighters have established divisional supremacy (perhaps because of the multiple ways one can lose), and none of them have really been heavyweights. The greats of MMA haven't drawn numbers even approaching the biggest Boxing ppv's or the level old-school network distribution worldwide in the past. Do you think the newer generations can significantly outdo Silva, Fedor, GSP, etc. in terms of quality and excitement? That seems too hard a task.

Boxing reached incredible heights in the early part of the 20th century, and its legends maintained that peak with an inheritance of the star power. From the days of Dempsey, Marciano, moving onto Liston, then Ali, then Tyson, and despite their historical lows, the Klitschkos are very famous in Europe; along with that trend is also of course the greats lower weights passing on the torch of fame from generation to generation; Robinson, Leonard & his partners in the Fab 4, the Latin American fighters from featherweight to lightweight, then the 90's era of De La Hoya, Mosley, and Roy Jones Jr., and of course Mayweather, Pacquiao and the 3 Amigos...

My point is that at its highest, boxing has always found a way to maintain those heights over time. While MMA is arguably growing in popularity, its historical peaks in quality don't correlate with heights in popularity comparable to those of boxing. If the sport can't get much better, how can it hope to unseat boxing in popularity? I suppose the next step would be to see which of the next generation of fighters emerges stronger, as well as the one after that, to see whether dips or spikes signify a short-term trend VS a long-term one of significantly divergent paths. As of now, it's early to tell, but MMA has the much bigger gap to close.
Considering the array of big names looking for big fights and big wins in 2012, I think boxing will deliver in 2012; how MMA does is not something I can gauge, as I'm only a very casual fan, but my point still stands. Alvarez, Cotto, Pacquiao, Mayweather, Bradley, Marquez, Khan, Peterson, Guerrero, are all exciting and elite fighters with varying star power that are in position to put on career-defining fights. The PPV numbers for 2011 may be capped by Floyd, Manny, and Miguel with the rest being dominated by UFC PPVs, but remember that what passes for a great UFC Card is often the equivalent of a high-quality "Boxing After Dark" or Showtime event. There are many great fights already signed or in the works (Maidana-Alexander, Berto-Ortiz II, Salido-Lopez II, etc.) and a ton more waiting to get made. The way boxing promotes itself is the main problem, but the quality will always be there and will always have its global niche that MMA is still struggling to find as definitively despite having the best fighters they've ever had competing at the forefront.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Lefthooktommy
Natural Born Killer
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I ****ing LOVE Sonia!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Lefthooktommy is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthooktommy View Post

He aint got shit on Feldman though
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdDLO4Neo7k[/ame]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
Lefthooktommy
Natural Born Killer
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post

He aint got shit on Feldman though
Corey Feldman wins hands down!
Lefthooktommy is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Matty lll
Sweet Scientist
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Jab View Post
I think it doesn't have to be Boxing vs. MMA and you don't have to enjoy one and hate the other.
Exactly there is room for both sports to succeed
Matty lll is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0qBaBb1Y-U&ob=av2e"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0qBaBb1Y-U&ob=av2e[/ame]
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The UFC couldn't surpass their own 2010 numbers/revenue, and 2012 will be less profitable then 2011 without their two big draws.

They match-make hard and I give them a ton of credit for their work on free Fox and Brazil. But all of that is still offset by their monthly PPVs, which for all its recent entertainment value, are still bad for the sport.
RSBonos is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty lll View Post
Exactly there is room for both sports to succeed
Why cant we all get along

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5s6V8rQH4[/ame]