boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-02-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default What Heavies in Boxing History Do You Favor Over the Tyson Who Beat Spinks?

And what version of them do you favor.

For example, I would take the Ali who beat Cleveland Williams to beat this Tyson.
acb is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
box03
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: What Heavies in Boxing History Do You Favor Over the Tyson Who Beat Spinks?

George Foreman that fought Joe Frazier the first time would of had a good shot at beating Tyson.
box03 is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
Mistadobalina
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: What Heavies in Boxing History Do You Favor Over the Tyson Who Beat Spinks?

lewis who destroyed morrison
Mistadobalina is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #4
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

At their best, Ali, Buster Douglas, Lennox Lewis, George Foreman, Evander Holyfield, Ike Ibeabuchi
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 01:26 AM   #5
Lostmykeys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2036

George Foreman.

Muhammed Ali.

I think he is at least 50/50 with everyone else.
Lostmykeys is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 01:35 AM   #6
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

I favour no HW over a peak Tyson, the best shot stylistically and intangibles is Holyfield, but I feel Evander would lose a contested decision peak/peak.

Bowe may have a slight chance. Foreman just too slow for Tyson, Tyson is light years above Frazier in all around skill and ability and the Frazier-Foreman fights are not relative to Tyson-Foreman for that very reason, a peak Tyson could move in and out and unload on a peak Foreman with ease, what would the result be?

Ali, I can't get him being hit by much lesser fighters with ease out of my head, such as Zora Folley landing good straight rights. Tyson's speed was just insane at his peak, he'd just overwhelm Ali plain and simple in my opinion.

An overdone subject, but still a solid one for discussion.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Muhammad Ali
George Foreman
Sonny Liston
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 01:40 AM   #8
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

My Mum could have beat Spinks that night. He fell over as soon as Tyson looked at him.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 01:47 AM   #9
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
I favour no HW over a peak Tyson, the best shot stylistically and intangibles is Holyfield, but I feel Evander would lose a contested decision peak/peak.

Bowe may have a slight chance. Foreman just too slow for Tyson, Tyson is light years above Frazier in all around skill and ability and the Frazier-Foreman fights are not relative to Tyson-Foreman for that very reason, a peak Tyson could move in and out and unload on a peak Foreman with ease, what would the result be?

Ali, I can't get him being hit by much lesser fighters with ease out of my head, such as Zora Folley landing good straight rights. Tyson's speed was just insane at his peak, he'd just overwhelm Ali plain and simple in my opinion.

An overdone subject, but still a solid one for discussion.
- The prime of Tyson was the best the world has yet seen. Too bad it was so short lived. I blame Don King, and the demise of Cus d'Amato, and a fairly mental weakness, but nonetheless the best ever.
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 01:55 AM   #10
Vanboxingfan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1250

Liston, Lewis and Ali would have the best chances, followed closely by Holyfield and Foreman and perhaps Holmes. Not many could beat him, but I think some on this list have the best chance. But the same applies to these fighters as well. None of these guys would walk through each other and style match ups would end up being the major difference. Basically to beat Tyson you have to either out speed him or out muscle him. Lewis and Liston could possibly out muscle him and create space and use their jabs and other skills to control the pace and distance. Ali and Holmes might be able to out speed and frustrate Tyson, while Holyfield, might be able to counter him.
Vanboxingfan is online now  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 02:03 AM   #11
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Liston would be hauled out on his ass in 3
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 02:18 AM   #12
TheGreat
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanboxingfan
Liston, Lewis and Ali would have the best chances, followed closely by Holyfield and Foreman and perhaps Holmes. Not many could beat him, but I think some on this list have the best chance. But the same applies to these fighters as well. None of these guys would walk through each other and style match ups would end up being the major difference. Basically to beat Tyson you have to either out speed him or out muscle him. Lewis and Liston could possibly out muscle him and create space and use their jabs and other skills to control the pace and distance. Ali and Holmes might be able to out speed and frustrate Tyson, while Holyfield, might be able to counter him.
I agree but I would add that Tyson in his youth NEVER had problems with big men who were powerful punchers, he only had problems with boxers who could out box, speed, or manuever him like Tillis, Tucker, Holy and Douglass, he only had problems with the big guys post Nielson which was the fight he finally got old and shot IMO.
TheGreat is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 02:21 AM   #13
TheGreat
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanePugilist
I haven't seen much of Liston but when I saw him he did look slow and no who can't move beats a peak Tyson IMO.
TheGreat is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 02:34 AM   #14
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanePugilist
I don't know about that.

Tyson got into his opponents heads and enstilled a great deal of fear in them. But if there is one guy who wouldn't be afraid of Tyson, it was Sonny Liston who was one bad man himself. Liston could match Tyson in physical strength, power, and technical skills while Tyson would have the edge in speed and explosiveness. Liston had an 84" reach and was noticably taller than Mike though.

I see Tyson starting out really strong as he always does. Liston, however, would be able to survive the early Tyson onslaught. After a while, Liston would establish his long, pole-like jab and keep Tyson at bay. I see Liston finding the mark with some big power punches after Tyson starts to wear down. After 8 to 9 rounds, Liston stops a busted up Tyson.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #15
TheGreat
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
I don't know about that.

Tyson got into his opponents heads and enstilled a great deal of fear in them. But if there is one guy who wouldn't be afraid of Tyson, it was Sonny Liston who was one bad man himself. Liston could match Tyson in physical strength, power, and technical skills while Tyson would have the edge in speed and explosiveness. Liston had an 84" reach and was noticably taller than Mike though.

I see Tyson starting out really strong as he always does. Liston, however, would be able to survive the early Tyson onslaught. After a while, Liston would establish his long, pole-like jab and keep Tyson at bay. I see Liston finding the mark with some big power punches after Tyson starts to wear down. After 8 to 9 rounds, Liston stops a busted up Tyson.
I respectfully disagree because speed Kills IMO and when Tyson was young he had the most trouble with movers and guys who had fast hands and/ or feet and from what I have seen of Liston he looked slow which will get you spanked against a young Tyson IMO.
TheGreat is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum