Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,108
vCash: 75
Default Fighters losing their chins...

What are the worst examples of it?

Cobb getting blasted out in one by a tomato can?

Grim suddenly getting KO'ed numerous times?
Russell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
KTFO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Earnie Shavers. Hit him hard on the jaw and you can see him fade away like a flower.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,802
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
What are the worst examples of it?

Cobb getting blasted out in one by a tomato can?

Grim suddenly getting KO'ed numerous times?
Pipino Cuevas after Hearns got through with him is classic in this regard. I have my doubts that Roger Stafford could have dropped him before Tommy walloped him down on his face. (Still, don't forget that Cuevas beat the count by a comfortable margin, and how many others could have done that, let alone in the WW division?)

I don't believe Sean O'Grady's chin was ever that good. The reason he suddenly couldn't take a punch was because he moved up in class. O'Grady was what Carnera's critics only wish Primo was.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:58 AM   #4
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Manchester England
Posts: 558
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
What are the worst examples of it?

Cobb getting blasted out in one by a tomato can?

Grim suddenly getting KO'ed numerous times?
Both Roy Jones KO losses to Glen Johnson & Antonio Tarver have to be up there.

Also, Sonny Liston's KO loss to Leotis Martin.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:02 AM   #5
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Jeff Fenech is a classic example of this.

His relentless attacking style carried him to three world titles which aside from two flash knockdowns ( Samart Payakarun,and Mario Martinez) showed no signs of him having anything but a sturdy chin.He stood up to some big punches from Nelson in their first fight and also the hard punching Victor Callejas landed his best punches on him to little effect.

But after the Neson draw Fenech's chin was never the same.The warning signs came when he appeared a little jolted (to me anyway) in a warm up fight with feather-fisted journeyman Migual Angel Francia,and was confimed when Azumah floored and destroyed him in their rematch.

After that Fenech was a chance to be put away in any fight he was in.Calvin Grove flattened him with one punch and Grove wasn't noted for his power and Phillip Holliday hurt Fenech basically every time he landed with some underwhelming looking punches.

Whether Fenech always had a brittle chin but was never caught hard enough early in his career (like some allege about Roy Jones) or not I don't know for sure,but I seriously doubt it.I think he was simply ruined after the Nelson robbery,having given his all and coming up short against a fighter who (in hindsight) he was unlikely to be able to beat again.
young griffo is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:38 AM   #6
dalek
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 60
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

doug dewitt got ko'd following his fight with hearns.in the hearns fight he showed an iron jaw,unbelievably later on sumbu kalambay ko'd him.
dalek is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:56 AM   #7
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,101
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo
Jeff Fenech is a classic example of this.

His relentless attacking style carried him to three world titles which aside from two flash knockdowns ( Samart Payakarun,and Mario Martinez) showed no signs of him having anything but a sturdy chin.He stood up to some big punches from Nelson in their first fight and also the hard punching Victor Callejas landed his best punches on him to little effect.

But after the Neson draw Fenech's chin was never the same.The warning signs came when he appeared a little jolted (to me anyway) in a warm up fight with feather-fisted journeyman Migual Angel Francia,and was confimed when Azumah floored and destroyed him in their rematch.

After that Fenech was a chance to be put away in any fight he was in.Calvin Grove flattened him with one punch and Grove wasn't noted for his power and Phillip Holliday hurt Fenech basically every time he landed with some underwhelming looking punches.

Whether Fenech always had a brittle chin but was never caught hard enough early in his career (like some allege about Roy Jones) or not I don't know for sure,but I seriously doubt it.I think he was simply ruined after the Nelson robbery,having given his all and coming up short against a fighter who (in hindsight) he was unlikely to be able to beat again.
Brillllliant post!
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 AM   #8
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: veenwouden-netherlands
Posts: 833
vCash: 75
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Tim Whitherspoon.....he was iron chinned .....took lots of punches againtst very good fighters ....then came the Smith fight [ 2 one ] i was shocked to see him getting floored 3 times in the first round...
heerko koois is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:00 AM   #9
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,101
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Mustafa Hamsho is the perfect example here. At one time he was rated the greatest chin in boxing, let alone 160, even above the granite of Hagler. Marvin belted the absolute crap out of the guy for 11 rounds before the first fight was stopped on cuts. In the rematch Marvin put him away quite easily in 3 rounds and his chin just wasn't the same. It's fair to assume the thrashing Hagler put on him in the initial encounter definitely did some damage.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:04 AM   #10
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,999
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Brillllliant post!


I second this. Worst thing Jeff did was get involved with American boxing (specifically King). The screw job vs Nelson drained the life out of him.


ps. Where did Lloyd Honeghan's chin go?
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:12 AM   #11
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,101
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heerko koois
Tim Whitherspoon.....he was iron chinned .....took lots of punches againtst very good fighters ....then came the Smith fight [ 2 one ] i was shocked to see him getting floored 3 times in the first round...
That was a bit suss tho to say the least, in more ways than one.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:39 AM   #12
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: veenwouden-netherlands
Posts: 833
vCash: 75
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
That was a bit suss tho to say the least, in more ways than one.
strange fight....Whitherspoon did not look badly hurt at all........
he even floored Smith briefly .....
heerko koois is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:10 AM   #13
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 764
vCash: 800
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heerko koois
strange fight....Whitherspoon did not look badly hurt at all........
he even floored Smith briefly .....
That's because he wasn't hurt. Witherspoon wasn't in the best frame of mind, King hated him and it was only stopped on the 3 knockdown rule. I don't think the 'Spoon's chin had gone at all.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:10 AM   #14
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Rjj.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:33 AM   #15
Stewbear
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 271
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters losing their chins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
Both Roy Jones KO losses to Glen Johnson & Antonio Tarver have to be up there.

Also, Sonny Liston's KO loss to Leotis Martin.
There is no evidence that Jones suddenly got a glass jaw, while the Liston stop was more due to exhastion, I mean he was in his 40's, and had been dominateing the fight up to then scoring a knockdown if i remember right
Stewbear is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013