Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Durelle - How hard could he hit?

Who's he comparable to?
Russell is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Durelle - How hard could he hit?

Well, Archie Moore stated after his career was over that the first right hand Durelle floored him with was the hardest punch he was ever hit by.

This can be a crucial distinction from who the hardest puncher is that one faces. For all we know, Cleveland Williams may have been the hardest puncher Ali ever shared the ring with, but that's not going to mean very much if the punch doesn't connect to begin with, and Big Cat only landed around six scoring punches on Ali.

Immediately after Moore lost to Marciano, Archie stated, "He is the strongest fighter I've ever been in with. I don't know that he's the hardest hitter, but he certainly hits hard enough." Perhaps it's telling that Moore, who had an excellent relationship with Marciano (and apparently all his opponents) did not definitively finger Rocky as the hardest puncher he faced after their meeting, but later asserted after his career that Durelle hit him the hardest. (For Holmes, the hardest hitter was Shavers, while the strongest was Cobb.) The Mongoose made an interesting claim, and the footage makes it clear that it was a monstrous shot Durelle hit him with. Referee Jack Sharkey said that Moore was cross-eyed on the floor after that punch, but the Gob let it continue, and rightly so, as it turned out.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

that has to be possibly the greatest comeback in any title fight.lord knows how moore got up from that he was by all intents a beaten fighter put down twice more in the same round.the real stuff of legends.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k.
that has to be possibly the greatest comeback in any title fight.lord knows how moore got up from that he was by all intents a beaten fighter put down twice more in the same round.the real stuff of legends.
And when he passed on, after they showed the clip of him dropping Marciano, they showed his comeback against Durelle. Not a bad way to be summarized. (And a good advertisement against the three knockdown rule.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

it certainly would have been stopped nowadays
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
bigjake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k.
it certainly would have been stopped nowadays
yes i agree today durelle would have won by tko,a year after the second fight with moore he met george chuvalo who bounced durelle off the floor a few times before it was stopped
bigjake is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

I believe it was around the time of the Scypion/Classen tragedy that Jack Sharkey discussed how the decision for a referee to stop a match could be a difficult judgement to make, using Moore/Durelle I as his example. (He may have been making reference to Owen/Pintor, or Hart/Denny, but it was after some such event during that era.) In any event, Sharkey's refereeing career did not have the hallmarks of a fatality waiting to happen, as Ruby Goldstein's did (especially after Johansson/Patterson I).

A quick check of Moore's record indicates that in 220 matches, he was never stopped at the referee's discretion. (Boxwreck.com lists his loss to the phenomenal Eddie Booker as a TKO, but my Ring Record Book simply lists it as a clean kayo.) The three knockdown rule was in effect for his match with young Cassius Clay, but in all his other stoppage defeats, he was apparently floored for the count. He certainly never suffered any apparent neurological deficits from his lengthy career, and he functioned extremely well to a ripe old age.
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum