Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 12:27 AM   #16
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 1000
Default Re: push ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
they are not better, each exercise has its own purpose.
I agree with the second part of the sentence at least.

What is the main purpose behind press ups for your goals, sir?
Jazzo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #17
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: push ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzo
I agree with the second part of the sentence at least.

What is the main purpose behind press ups for your goals, sir?
Well, the thing is each exercise has its own perpose on trying to increase the strenght of a certain muscle/muscles. Don't forget that there are around 700-800 different mucles in the body.

One person might only work on traditional pushups and can do over 80 max, while he can only do 30 clap pushups max. Another person might only work on clap pushups and can do 50 max, while only being able to do 60 tradition pushups max.
It all depends on how well you balance your workout and what you are trying to work on improving. There is no "best" type/types of pushups or any other exercise. It all depends on the person working out and what you are trying to improve.
gregsid is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:41 AM   #18
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 1000
Default Re: push ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsid
Well, the thing is each exercise has its own perpose on trying to increase the strenght of a certain muscle/muscles. Don't forget that there are around 700-800 different mucles in the body.

One person might only work on traditional pushups and can do over 80 max, while he can only do 30 clap pushups max. Another person might only work on clap pushups and can do 50 max, while only being able to do 60 tradition pushups max.
It all depends on how well you balance your workout and what you are trying to work on improving. There is no "best" type/types of pushups or any other exercise. It all depends on the person working out and what you are trying to improve.
Well, what are you trying to improve?
Jazzo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #19
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,959
vCash: 1900
Default Re: push ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzo
Well, what are you trying to improve?
i dont know what he is babbling on about but normal push ups build endurance.


by the way greg who is this person trying to do 50 clap push ups?? if he wants to build explosiveness he is going the wrong way about it.
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #20
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: push ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
i dont know what he is babbling on about but normal push ups build endurance.


by the way greg who is this person trying to do 50 clap push ups?? if he wants to build explosiveness he is going the wrong way about it.
I wasn't talking about anyone in general, it was just an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzo
Well, what are you trying to improve?
Umm I was just giving an example, I wasn't talking about myself. This topic is about someone else.
gregsid is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #21
Rakim
Captain ****wit
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Walking gingerly.
Posts: 1
vCash: 6000
Default Re: push ups

I do bench press instead of press-ups, because Im doing a 5x5 routine at the moment (I'm aiming for strength gains), and this way I can continue increasing the weight. What amount of reps and sets should I use for clap/plyometric push-ups? I might start doing those when I can't make it to the gym.
Rakim is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #22
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 1000
Default Re: push ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim
I do bench press instead of press-ups, because Im doing a 5x5 routine at the moment (I'm aiming for strength gains), and this way I can continue increasing the weight. What amount of reps and sets should I use for clap/plyometric push-ups? I might start doing those when I can't make it to the gym.
You shouldn't really do bench press instead of press-ups. Bench press will increase strength, but you should also do press-ups for endurance.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #23
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: East London
Posts: 32,959
vCash: 1900
Default Re: push ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim
I do bench press instead of press-ups, because Im doing a 5x5 routine at the moment (I'm aiming for strength gains), and this way I can continue increasing the weight. What amount of reps and sets should I use for clap/plyometric push-ups? I might start doing those when I can't make it to the gym.
when starting off pylometrics focus on quality over quantity, say a 3x8 of clap push ups, stop before fatigue.
Relentless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #24
Rakim
Captain ****wit
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Walking gingerly.
Posts: 1
vCash: 6000
Default Re: push ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™
You shouldn't really do bench press instead of press-ups. Bench press will increase strength, but you should also do press-ups for endurance.



I don't want endurance, I'm focusing on strength at the moment but when I start boxing again I'll want to mix a bit of power in too, so I figured that plyometrics would be good.
Rakim is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #25
Rakim
Captain ****wit
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Walking gingerly.
Posts: 1
vCash: 6000
Default Re: push ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
when starting off pylometrics focus on quality over quantity, say a 3x8 of clap push ups, stop before fatigue.


OK cheers bud.
Rakim is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013