Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
jimbo1993

vCash: 1000
Default who would win prime for prime?

holyfield - tyson
tyson - lewis
holyfield - lewis

of these 3 fighters all in their primes who would win each fight and how?

i say tyson beats holyfield and lewis, by late TKO against holyfield and mid TKO against lewis and holyfield beats lewis by split decision

your thoughts?
jimbo1993 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
GDG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: who would win prime for prime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1993 View Post
holyfield - tyson
tyson - lewis
holyfield - lewis

of these 3 fighters all in their primes who would win each fight and how?

i say tyson beats holyfield and lewis, by late TKO against holyfield and mid TKO against lewis and holyfield beats lewis by split decision

your thoughts?

Holyfield Vs Tyson - 60/40: I'll take Holy on points. Holyfield was never scared of Mike the way others were, he never let himself become intimidated.

Tyson Vs Lewis - 60/40: Think Tyson gets the KO here.

Holyfield Vs Lewis - 72/25: Obviously he wasn't prime, but I'm not sure any version of Evander can perform better than he did in the 2nd fight and he still lost. Lewis UD.
GDG is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think Tyson knocks Lewis out.

I think Holyfield stops Tyson.

I think Holyfield outpoints Lewis.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418

Lewis beats a prime Holyfield for me. Holyfield was a cruiserweight at his prime, Lewis is too big and strong, theres no way Holyfield knocks Lewis out and Lewis never lost a decision.

Tyson knocks Holyfield out prime for prime although Holyfield battles bravely as always.

Lastly, I feel Tyson-Lewis is a pick-em fight, people will argue about that one for ever but I think Tyson probably wins in his prime. I know he was largely untested as a heavyweight in the eighties but I feel the power was there, the hardest to pick out of the three that one. I wouldnt be suprised if Lewis proved me wrong.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I like Tyson at his best to beat them all. He is pretty close to the top of my list at his best.
The Lewis Holyfield fight is a tough call, but I would lean towards Holy. Lewis just didnt overly impress when fighting the older version of Holy.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Holyfield beats Tyson

Lewis and Tyson is pretty close to 50.50 imo.

Lewis beats Holyfield.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

lewis beats tyson

lewis beats holyfield

tyson beats holyfield (in trilogy holyfield wins one)
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Holyfield beats Tyson
Lewis - Tyson is 50:50
Holyfield beats Lewis
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418

Bloody hell theres alot of wimps here. Come on girls who wins Tyson or Lewis? Its tough but I gave my prediction.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'd personally pick Holyfield to win all of those fights, if he was indeed in the peak of his prime. For me, Evander's optimal heavyweight best was probably somewhere between 1988-1991, when he was still in his late 20's and regularly dispatching quality heavyweights on a rate of about 3 times per year. By the time he faced Riddick Bowe in1992, he was 30 years of age, had fought only once within the previous year against a 40+ Holmes, and had been cheated out of his career opportunity to face Tyson. Hence, I think some of the hunger had diminished. The Dokes fight was a non-stop slugfest where two very fit men gave it their best for 10 strait rounds without relenting. His win over Douglas is often overshadowed by the fact that Buster showed up looking like a horrifically failed science project, but hey, he had just beaten the man 8 months earlier and Holyfield dispatched him without working up a sweat.

The difference between the Holyfield that won the title in 1990 as opposed to the one who fought Lewis later on was collosal. Mike Tyson would have been a very dangerous test anytime between 1986-1989, especially with Kevin Rooney. But, I don't see Holyfield doing any worse than some of the men who extended Tyson the distance or even troubled him such as Tony Tucker, James Smith, or any of the others. In fact, Holy was better than those guys. More fit, better chin, undying heart, etc.. I don't know if Tyson would have been accustomed to the type of challenge Evander would have posed. But a dangerous and competitive fight nonetheless.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Muchmoore

vCash:

Tyson beats Holyfield by mid round KO. Hell of a fight though and Holy would get stopped because of his warrior nature, Holy is too prideful to pull a Bonecrusher, Tucker, etc. and just hang on. He'd go out on his shield and I do give him a real nice chance of a win here (one of the few I feel nervous picking Tyson over.)

Tyson stops Lewis. Lennox had no glass chin, in fact it was quite solid, but Tyson is going to land sooner or later and hurt Lennox and I don't happen to think Lennox's recuperative skills are as good as his chin. Against perhaps the best finisher in history that spells trouble.

I lean to Lennox against Holy. An over the hill Holy gave him two OK fights but Lennox knew Holy didn't have a chance unless he got stupid so he opted to fight cautious and soundly outpointed him both times. I think his size/jab is too much for any Holyfield.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post

But, I don't see Holyfield doing any worse than some of the men who extended Tyson the distance or even troubled him such as Tony Tucker, James Smith, or any of the others.
This always bugs me, Tyson won perhaps every round against Smith and Tucker won 3 rounds at the most. Every fighter has inferior opponents who goes the distance with them, Foreman went the distance with Peralta, Liston had Whitehurst twice, Frazier had Bonavena twice and Scrap Iron Johnson, Marciano had Willis Applegate and Ted Lowry etc. etc.

In fact I struggle to think of anyone that I'd pick to KO the versions of Smith/Tucker/Green that Tyson that were more intent on hugging than punching and happened to have concrete in their jaws.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore View Post
This always bugs me, Tyson won perhaps every round against Smith and Tucker won 3 rounds at the most. Every fighter has inferior opponents who goes the distance with them, Foreman went the distance with Peralta, Liston had Whitehurst twice, Frazier had Bonavena twice and Scrap Iron Johnson, Marciano had Willis Applegate and Ted Lowry etc. etc.

In fact I struggle to think of anyone that I'd pick to KO the versions of Smith/Tucker/Green that Tyson that were more intent on hugging than punching and happened to have concrete in their jaws.

Tucker fought Tyson at his peak with an injured hand and managed to look good in a few of those rounds. Smith hugged for dear life, but was 33 years of age, and to that point had basically been losing regularly to a lot of the division's best fighters. Bottom line, Holyfield was better. And in response to another one of your posts on this same thread, I don't see anyone Stopping a peak Holy in the mid rounds. Hell, he's 46 years old, has fought the best in the division over 20 years, has retired and comeback multiple times, and yet still no one has stopped him in the type of fashion that you're suggesting Tyson would..
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Holyfield over Tyson
Holyfield over Lewis
Tyson over Lewis
he grant is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

tyson over holyfield
lewis over tyson and holyfield
normally spoken then. i think a prime tyson (when still hungry and mentally at least a bit ok) was to fast for evander. alltough evander had a great chin. it wouldn't be a fast one but by the 8th or 9th round a ko or tko.
as for lewis he is a class to high for the both of them. in terms of reach, ring general ship and so on.
junior-soprano is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum