Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Classic's take on Pacquiao vs. Cotto

What is your opinion on who will win this fight if it comes through?
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Default Re: Classic's take on Pacquiao vs. Cotto

I think Pacquiao will stop him personally
teeto is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

I think Miguel Cotto should be considered the favourite because he has a lot of things going for him that past opponents of Manny's don't.

Cotto is not only a strong 147lb fighter, but he hits hard with both hands, is one of the better combination punchers in Boxing today, and displayed great courage and will to win with his recent win over Clottey. He was half blind for the majority of that fight, and he did himself proud by lying to the doctor and saying he could see fine. I respect him a lot for that.

Manny obviously poses a lot of problems. He has very fast hands, and displayed some unbelievable punching power at 140lb, which used to be Cotto's old weight class. Also he is fast on his feet, and has shown many times before that he has the stamina to go the distance when need be.

I make Cotto the favourite by late TKO because I think he does everything better than Manny other than take a shot.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCboxer View Post
Fascinating fight, hard to call, 50/50.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Cotto does everything better than Pacquiao? He fights off the backfoot better, that's about it. Cotto is a solid technical boxer-puncher (more fundamentally sound than Pac) who excels at really nothing these days, though he started off showing promise as a pressure fighter and body puncher. I think Pacquiao's bursts of speed and power are some of the most difficult to contain, and a fighter with Cotto's leaky defense and survival skills will have a nightmare with it, IMO. However, if Cotto elects to use his size and strength to put the educated pressure on Pacquiao from the beginning (something Hatton couldn't) and doesn't get tagged with anything big in the process, I could see him taking Pacquiao off his game. I still think a top pressure fighter is ideal to beat Pacquiao, which is why I'd favor a guy like JCC over him without thinking. I'm just not sure Cotto has the ability to fight that type of fight as effectively given his leaky defense and questionable durability.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Cotto does everything better than Pacquiao? He fights off the backfoot better, that's about it. Cotto is a solid technical boxer-puncher (more fundamentally sound than Pac) who excels at really nothing these days, though he started off showing promise as a pressure fighter and body puncher. I think Pacquiao's bursts of speed and power are some of the most difficult to contain, and a fighter with Cotto's leaky defense and survival skills will have a nightmare with it, IMO. However, if Cotto elects to use his size and strength to put the educated pressure on Pacquiao from the beginning (something Hatton couldn't) and doesn't get tagged with anything big in the process, I could see him taking Pacquiao off his game. I still think a top pressure fighter is ideal to beat Pacquiao, which is why I'd favor a guy like JCC over him without thinking. I'm just not sure Cotto has the ability to fight that type of fight as effectively given his leaky defense and questionable durability.
You know i'm always banging on about how Cotto is one of the best examples of educated pressure today in boxing. I agree that he needs to box that way to win this fight, i also agree that i don't think he can/will win this fight, with what you have mentioned as the main reasons- Cotto's defensive problems and Pacquiao's high tempo style.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Never really thought about this fight yet. Pacquaio does have the style which could well grind down Cotto, ala Margarito. At WW, Cotto has actually shown decent durability when scanning across his showings at the weight. He took Judah's shots rather well, and Margarito simply took his heart away round after round after the mid-way stage. It's not as if Cotto is vulnerable to being knocked out with single punch or only a single round's worth of absorbing punishment from an opponent for him to be stopped. Clottey had him no more than slightly dented on Saturday night.

Pacquaio has yet to be seriously tested at the higher weights. De La Hoya never landed any significant on him, and neither did Hatton for that matter. If Cotto's defense is air tight, he uses his jab, moves around effectively, and doesn't fight a dumb one, then we'll see how Pacquaio responds to his power.

Talk has begun about Pacquaio possibly fighting Mosley. That kid would really hurt Pac. If Mosley's speed and overall effectiveness is close to what he showed against Margarito, then Roach might as well order up a casket for his beloved one. Mosley's speed, strength and power would be too much. Rumour has it that Mosley can bench press around 330lbs.

Mosley is bad for Pacquaio's health.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
I agree with this. For me it's almost even with me slightly leaning towards a Pac victory. It's a winnable fight for either no doubt though.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
PbP Bacon
ALL TIME FAT
ESB Full Member

My gross take is 70% Pacquiao 30% Cotto

Pacquiao has the advantage thanks to his speed and punching power. However in that fight Cotto is gonna be the bigger man, and with some skill he could give Pac serious problems.

In any case, I don't know at what weight they are going to fight. 140, 143, 147? Anybody knows per sure? Honestly, I am not sure if that will have such a big impact, but some people is doing a big fuzz of it.
PbP Bacon is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #10
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

Imo at 147 Cotto beats Pac. At a catchweight of 143/144 i believe Pac beats Cotto.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #11
Sugarkay

I think this will look alot like Pacquiao's last couple of fights as Cotto, like De La Hoya and Hatton simply cannot cope with the speed of Pacman. And I don't even think that weight will be an issue because I can't see Cotto getting close enough to Pacquiao to wear him down by using his size. Pacquiao is just too fast, both of hands and feet.
Sugarkay is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
stevebhoy87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This is a cracking fight and one i'm really looking forward to if it comes off. Its also a fight that shows to me just how unpredicatbale boxing can be and just why we all love it so much. If this fight had been suggested 18 months ago you would have been laughed out of this place, now it doesn't seem so funny, for me its pretty much a 50/50 fight.

Pacquaio is going to cause cotto all ends of trouble, his speed, footwork, workrate is going to cause cotto issues. With his leaky defence and the angles that pacquaio is now finding you can guarentee he is going to get tagged and often. Pacquaio also proved against hatton he had chilling power at 140 so its not beyond the realms of possibility that he can take out cotto. I fell cotto chin has shown to be better at 147 than 140, while not iron clad its pretty good IMO and it will take an accumulation from pac to get the job done i'd imagine, but with cotto defence manny likely to be landing enough .

Cotto though to my mind does have the ability to take pacquaio, firstly however good pac has been in his last 3 fights(and he's been immense) there still has to be a slight question mark on whether he can take the punch of a big natural welter like cotto, we will find out the answer in this fight. Cotto also has the jab, bodywork and combination skills to get quite a lot of leather on pacquaio, if he can withstand pac punches with his pressing style and body attack this
could cause manny no end of trouble.

All in all its going to be a good fight and a massive challenge for both, i'm really on the fence on who will win, if pushed i go with pacquaio, i've underrated him in the past but not any more, he is a truly magnificent fighter but i would not be at all suprised if cotto was a bridge to far
stevebhoy87 is online now  Top
Old 06-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

i have sworn never to side against Roach again so i say Pacquiao
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCboxer View Post
I think Pacquaio is a better fighter, but I also think Cotto is going to win by TKO. Cotto is not past his prime. He is in it. Cotto has fast hands, top skills, and can hit. To be truthful, I'd rather Pacquaio focus on someone else.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

This is a real fight for Manny with a solid welterweight. I think Cotto will stop Manny mid rounds.
lefthook31 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum