Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Nigel_Benn
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Floyds Boring Style

Floyds always been a mover thats his game he aint a ko puncher, i hate these dicks on here calling Mayweather a runner he didnt run from Corrales he didnt run from Castilio he didnt run from DeLaHoya he outclassed Baldomir he knew he wasnt gonna knock him out, if Vernon Forrest who was a much much bigger puncher then Floyd couldnt do it then how was floyd gonna do it, When did this bull start of him being a boring fighter?
Nigel_Benn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Floyds Boring Style

Mayweather just reacts to the situation/opponent. He's more entertaining against certain fighters and more cautious due to the opponent or situation.

People just have short memories.

It's like the idiots and newbies who think Marvin Hagler was always a brawler or Bernard Hopkins was also extremely cautious with a crap workrate.

That being said, how cautious Mayweather hsa been in the last couple of fights may be a legitimate concern.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
bigtime9
Contender
ESB Senior Member

it started from the jealous ones..mainly homo***ual males age 18-55 . they saw that he was winning too much which somehow makes them feel bad about themselves
bigtime9 is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
john b
EVERTON 0- OLdham 1
ESB Addict

vCash: 871

As a Spectle I hope he comes to fight against hatton like he did coralless and gatti because it will be one hell of a fight and i think hattons constant pressure like he showed against KT that he will be able to walk through pbf punches and chop in down for the victory.
john b is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

i dont have a problem with floyd not being entertaining, i dont mind watching bernard hopkins fight, its just as calabrese said, floyd says things like how he is going to destroy everyone and knock them out and then plays it safe
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Shpion
IDF
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_Benn
Floyds always been a mover thats his game he aint a ko puncher, i hate these dicks on here calling Mayweather a runner he didnt run from Corrales he didnt run from Castilio he didnt run from DeLaHoya he outclassed Baldomir he knew he wasnt gonna knock him out, if Vernon Forrest who was a much much bigger puncher then Floyd couldnt do it then how was floyd gonna do it, When did this bull start of him being a boring fighter?
His fights at the lower weight were not boring at all but once he started moving up in weight and his power became a no-factor, the entertainment value went down the drain, at least for me. Moreover, the promises he makes before the fights makes it even more anoying.
Shpion is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

The Baldomir fight was his first boring fight since the Castillo rematch. The Sosa fight after that was so-so.

He's had about 5 or 6 dull fights this decade out of 16 bouts.

Not an especially high rate of dull fights.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
Blacc Jesus
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpion
His fights at the lower weight were not boring at all but once he started moving up in weight and his power became a no-factor, the entertainment value went down the drain, at least for me. Moreover, the promises he makes before the fights makes it even more anoying.
Agreed.
Blacc Jesus is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

The problem is this: To the casual boxing fan Floyd does not satisfy what they are accustomed to when hearing about "The Best in the Sport". Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, L. Tomlinson, Lebron James, Sugar Ray Leonard, etc etc These are guys that were the best at what they did/do and guys that when you watch them play or perform you are/were going to see exactly what all the fuss and hoopla is about. When people watched the Floyd/Hoya fight, I guaruntee alot of casual fans simply were like "yeah, he's a good fighter....but I didn't see anything amazing...."

He never puts it all on the line, and I think that is the problem with his style and his problem with really attracting fans.

I for one, love watching him fight and can recognize his greatness. But I follow boxing/fighting like a religion and look for different things than the casual fan would.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #10
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Floyd doesn't have a boring style, his style is what he makes it.

Floyd is a complete fighter. Three things can beat Mayweather - himself, size or age.

Eventually there will be fighters who are too big for him and he'll get old too. Those aren't happening any time soon.

Being beaten by himself is something you are at risk of in every fight. Now Floyds shown the risks of that are extremely low. He trains hard, is an intelligent fighter, doesn't let injuries beat him, doesn't let issues get in his head etc...

...BUT his safety first style may be his undoing. Now Floyd takes risks but he can sometimes keep his hands at home. He didn't take enough risks in the 11th and 12th v Judah and arguably made it a close 7-5 win. He kept his hands at home early against DLH and arguably made it another close 7-5 win. The one or two rounds one may argue he lost to Baldo, Mitchell, Augustus, Sosa, N'dou etc is when he thought defensive and his opponent let some slugs go.

Now I'm nitpicking. Floyds usually in control. He reads his opponents and the way a fight is going perfectly. However Floyds safety approach is one of his few possible undoings.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
john b
EVERTON 0- OLdham 1
ESB Addict

vCash: 871

I just don't think PBF has the power to shift Hatton as he walked through that dangerous right hand of KT which floored judah. By the way I think Judah's reaction when he got back up after the second time and why the ref stopped it was priceless. On the subject of this fight i think hatton unlike judah, and oscar he will pressure him for the full three minutes but will throw punches at odd angles.
john b is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #12
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg
The problem is this: To the casual boxing fan Floyd does not satisfy what they are accustomed to when hearing about "The Best in the Sport". Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, L. Tomlinson, Lebron James, Sugar Ray Leonard, etc etc These are guys that were the best at what they did/do and guys that when you watch them play or perform you are/were going to see exactly what all the fuss and hoopla is about. When people watched the Floyd/Hoya fight, I guaruntee alot of casual fans simply were like "yeah, he's a good fighter....but I didn't see anything amazing...."

He never puts it all on the line, and I think that is the problem with his style and his problem with really attracting fans.

I for one, love watching him fight and can recognize his greatness. But I follow boxing/fighting like a religion and look for different things than the casual fan would.
Good post Beware, agree 110%. Even though Floyd is one of my favorite fighers, love to see him fight, and i appreciate his style. But I agree with Beware. If you look at the last 2 #1p4p fighters in the world (Roy Jones, Sweet Pea). If casual fans were 2 tune into them, they would have a different perception than he is just "good".
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #13
Illmatic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

after moving up five weight divisions, I am content with him outclassing opponents beautifully.

When hatton moves to light heavyweight, Mosley moves to middleweight, cotto moves to super middleweight, then I will judge them the same way.
Illmatic is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

The way he's been fighting lately is boring. Pernell Whitaker for example, always went out his best, just lacked power but he was always very entertaining to me.

Floyd's safety first approach does involve running to an extent, I find it atrociously boring to watch and the worst part is that he has some of the best tools in all of boxing and can really open up on opponents while keeping a great defence.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #15
MacManJr.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
i dont have a problem with floyd not being entertaining, i dont mind watching bernard hopkins fight, its just as calabrese said, floyd says things like how he is going to destroy everyone and knock them out and then plays it safe
He doesn't play it safe against fighters he doesn't think can hurt him. I think he'll fight Hatton just like he fought Corley and Ndou.
MacManJr. is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum