Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-04-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Andy Lee

I have now seen 3 of irish middleweight prospect Andy Lee's fights, & think hes a very talented young fighter.

I was most impressed with him in his fight with former world champ Carl Daniels. Although Daniels was past his prime, it was still a dangerous move for Lee, who had only had 7 pro fights going into the contest.
during his post fight interview, I thought I heard a slight english twang in his voice, then I seen on Boxrec that he was actually born in London.

So I was just curious to know a bit more about Andy Lee, was he brought up in England & moved over to Ireland recently, or did he move to Ireland at a young age?
I heard he represented Ireland in the olympics also,

So what I suppose Im trying to ask is, is Andy Lee a true irishman, or is he a plastic paddy? Sorry for asking, but Im slightly intoxicated at the moment & my curiosity is getting the better of me
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
mike4819
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Andy Lee

As far as I know, his family moved to England from Ireland, where he was born, in London. He and his family moved back to Limerick, and he won a bronze medal at the olympics. If you go to irish-boxing.com (links) you can get his site and his bio.

Whats doing with Ian Millarvie?
mike4819 is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
pambele

He didn't win a medal at the Olympics. He won medals (not gold) at the world juniors and European seniors.
pambele is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Looks stiff but has good power and good bodyshots like that one he landed on Healy.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by pambele
He didn't win a medal at the Olympics. He won medals (not gold) at the world juniors and European seniors.
Correct he was robbed in the Olympics .

I've seen a few of his fights so far and he is definitely the best prospect in Irish boxing and I feel he could go a long way . With Manny Steward leading him he's in good hands too .
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
mmickyward
Journeyman

hes got a great career ahead of him.Top amateur pedigree plus sparring the likes of kermt cintron,jermain taylor and all the other top americans.Plus of course he has the legendary emanuel steward in his corner who rates him extremely highly
mmickyward is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
PolishPummler
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 197

Lee has looked impressive.
PolishPummler is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
iceman
Tis my Island
ESB Addict

vCash: 12406665

Manny Stewart has called Lee 'a future Hall of Famer' - lofty praise indeed and maybe wishful thinking.However i have seen 5 or 6 of his fights and i think he will definitely become middleweight champ if he has a decent beard.I have yet to see him get hit yet due to his excellent defense.Can he take a punch? Anyone know?
iceman is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #9
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman
Manny Stewart has called Lee 'a future Hall of Famer' - lofty praise indeed and maybe wishful thinking.However i have seen 5 or 6 of his fights and i think he will definitely become middleweight champ if he has a decent beard.I have yet to see him get hit yet due to his excellent defense.Can he take a punch? Anyone know?
He spars with Wladimir Klitschko, so even though it isn't full force, obviously, he won't have a glass jaw. Manny Steward wouldn't put him in with Klitschko, if he couldn't take a decent, half hearted shot.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 04:17 AM   #10
pambele

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars
Correct he was robbed in the Olympics
Robbed against a Cameroon! In other words, he blew it.
pambele is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 04:32 AM   #11
dwilson

vCash:

I think Lee is top quality. Will they put him in for the British title in the future, I would like to see that.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #12
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabby Gut
It would be great to finally have an elite Irish fighter who can become a force. Go Andy Lee! By the way, what is a "plastic paddy" anyway?
Someone who claims to be Irish but isn't really(this includes those of Irish descent) , but Lee isn't one .

His parents are both Irish , they moved to London where Lee was born and then they moved back to Ireland(where Andy learned to box) .

Last edited by RDJ; 06-04-2006 at 11:46 AM.
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #13
puca
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 697

Lee is a great talent and the questions about his chin were for me answered during his senior amateur days.He fought the best in the world russians ,cubans,european,world and olympic medalists and was never even knocked down not to mind out.
I know the two sports are diffrent but a slap on the chin is a slap on the chin and if youre chinny it will be found out at amateur level.
puca is online now  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #14
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabby Gut
How could a person who is of Irish descent not really be Irish? I guess people from Ireland consider Irish-americans to be 'Plastic Paddys' because they were born in america.
I didn't say all of those of Irish descent but if one of your grandmothers was Irish , you've never been to Ireland and none of your other relations are Irish then you'd be a plastic paddy if you described yourself as Irish .
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #15
Pat Breen
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars
Someone who claims to be Irish but isn't really(this includes those of Irish descent) , but Lee isn't one .

His parents are both Irish , they moved to London where Lee was born and then they moved back to Ireland(where Andy learned to box) .
..Andy Lee learned his boxing at the Repton Club in London if i remember correctly and first boxed in the Irish Youth Championships at 15 years when he beat Basil Kennedy from Gorey bc, who incidently, is the current World Heavyweight Police champion. Lee won that fight and won an Irish title every year after that until he turned pro..he also won a silver medal at the World Juniors in Cuba and boxed out of the St Francis club in Limerick..
Pat Breen is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum