Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 AM   #16
williams7383
jabs like Larry Holmes
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1097
Default Re: Best performance by a foreign fighter on British shores?

Markus Beyer was quality too the night he beat Woodhall
williams7383 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 05:12 AM   #17
Azumah1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Definetly Hagler shutting Minters fat gob! Azumah on Cowdell was also great. In tersm of a great technical performance McCallum on the very game Watson.
In terms of awesome brutality ... McClellan on Mugabi. Privileged to see both men in the gym in the run up to this one. The beast is one of the nicest boxers i ever met. McCllelan was without doubt the most awe inspiring physical specimen of a boxer i ever saw... even when shadow boxing it felt like his punches were so clean and sharp they were slicing through the air!!!
Azumah1 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #18
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumah1 View Post
Definetly Hagler shutting Minters fat gob! Azumah on Cowdell was also great. In tersm of a great technical performance McCallum on the very game Watson.
In terms of awesome brutality ... McClellan on Mugabi. Privileged to see both men in the gym in the run up to this one. The beast is one of the nicest boxers i ever met. McCllelan was without doubt the most awe inspiring physical specimen of a boxer i ever saw... even when shadow boxing it felt like his punches were so clean and sharp they were slicing through the air!!!
Good post
icemax is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 05:55 AM   #19
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams7383 View Post
Woodhall made it pretty close despite the knockdowns, good performance by Beyer, but I was absolutely gutted for Richie
icemax is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #20
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Maybe not right up at the top with those others, but Glen Johnson was a very good performer in all three of his fights with Cleveland Woods. Unlucky to draw the first, well deserved win in the second, and a deserved but close loss in the third.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 AM   #21
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams7383 View Post
I was never that impressed with Beyer and wasn't surprised when Catley bingoed him. He look good for the first 3-4 rounds against Woodhall, but to be honest Richie looked as off colour as I'd ever seen him that night, he had no snap, no timing to start with. Still, had the fight gone another round he'd probably have stopped Beyer.
"TKO" is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #22
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
Maybe not right up at the top with those others, but Glen Johnson was a very good performer in all three of his fights with Cleveland Woods. Unlucky to draw the first, well deserved win in the second, and a deserved but close loss in the third.
Who?

On a serious note, agree with your analysis of the fights that was how I saw them.
"TKO" is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #23
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Hah! Why the hell was I thinking of Cleveland Woods? And did I mean the journeyman boxer, or the golf course...?

Sorry Clinton.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #24
fenian 67
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Young View Post
honorable mention is tim bradley......if bradley goes on to be a star...people will look back on his performance against witter....
thats the one i was going to say.bradleys underrated imo.not the most exciting but still good.him and campbell should be a good scrap
fenian 67 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #25
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065

Not on the Hagler level, but Vitali laying waste to Herbie Hide was a good performance.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #26
Lewisbell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The great Archie Moore fought in the UK once, TKOing Yolande Pompey with a massive right hook after dominating the fight
Lewisbell is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #27
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisbell View Post
The great Archie Moore fought in the UK once, TKOing Yolande Pompey with a massive right hook after dominating the fight

Just watched that one the other day. Moore was very impressive. very economical.
others for consideration

Vicente Saldivar x2
Carlos Palomino x2
AlFrancis is online now  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #28
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Gotta be Bobby Gunn
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #29
NO MAS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucatoni08 View Post
True that, but the pedroza fight was for the title...
I acknowledge it was for the title.... but against Laporte he pulled through it with a great performance... without that performance there would have been no title.... at the time Pedroza was the only option open for a serious title shot.... Nelson was a cut above IMO

I am a big McGuigan fan and had some great nights as a kid watching him... he was great. Please don't take this posting as me been negative about McGuigan, far from it. I am just saying that Nelson was better..
NO MAS is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #30
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Molitor vs Hunter - both classy and brutal
The strange thing with that fight though is as classy as Molitor was it's his power that actually wins it for him.
Hunter was clearly inferior to Molitor technically and physically(as in speed/power etc not height/reach), but yet Hunter's pressure did cause Molitor problems but then Steve starting landing really clean and Hunter couldn't take it. Hunter seemingly quit in the end, knowing he was being outclassed.

I suppose when you think about it Caballero really is just a higher level version of Hunter, and considering how Hunter did make things a little difficult for Steve at times it makes sense. But at the time I was surprised at the demolition of Molitor by Caballero. One major problem for Steve is that he loves to get into range get his work done and get out before he can get hit, against Caballero when he was 'out' for him, he was still in range against Caballero due to the Panamanians massive stature. It was something he just couldn't deal with and the shots that finished him in the end didn't look anything special.

Yuri Romanov has pretty much made his name in the UK with impressive performances here.

'Action' Jackson Asiku looked a revelation when he came over for 2 Commonwealth title fights. He was due to make a 2nd defense of his title in the Britain against Roy Rutherford, but Rutherford pulled out and Asiku never got to fight in Britain again. He was forced to go to Austrailia where his career has ticked along and threatend to get a fight with Chris John(before he went stateside) but it just never happened. It seems as if Asiku's career will just waste away like Choi Tsveenpurev as part of the who needs him club.

Mikkel Kessler impressed me a lot when he fought Joe Calzaghe on British soil, even if it was a loss.
BigEars is offline  Top
Closed Thread

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum