Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Arrow Leonard-Duran I (1980)

I've recently watched the whole 15 rounds of that fight, and to be honest with you, I didn't think Duran dominated Leonard as much as many people are saying that he did. In fact, IMO the fight could have went either way. I actually had Leonard winning the fight by a round! He landed more punches than Duran, and Duran did absolutely nothing in the 15th round. Plus Leonard was the champ and in my eyes Duran didn't "take" the title, especially since he let Leonard win the last round. I had it 144-143 for Leonard. So what do you guys think?

Last edited by C. M. Clay II; 09-05-2007 at 05:07 PM.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Leonerd-Duran I (1980)

Duran: 8-6-1. Although I did have it 8-4-1 after 13, Duran kinda gave the last two rounds away I feel.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

I agreed with the wire services that Duran won nine of the first ten rounds. Yes, they were closely contested rounds, but I felt that Duran did indeed have the match sewn up on the cards as they entered the championship rounds. I was paying careful attention to Duran's bruising body attack (the colorless punches which are frequently overlooked) which left SRL's torso discolored, and the fact that Duran demonstrated the superior ring generalship, controlling the tempo and positioning of the two combatants. I don't think Duran dominated the first ten rounds quite as lopsidedly as Holmes did his first ten rounds against Norton, but I still felt SRL had to stop Roberto (or at least deck him), to have a chance at winning after ten. The live wire service reporting during that bout was in sync with Mercante's experienced commentary (supported by Arthur's own background in scoring title fights). As the official scoring revealed, Mercante and the wire services guessed correctly. (As did Duran, after returning to his corner before entering the championship rounds).

SRL was competitive, but even those I knew who were rooting for Ray had Duran taking the scoring.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
ajohnfp
Sooner

I had Duran by a round, but I've always wondered why no one ever complains about this one. Very close, IMO.
ajohnfp is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnfp
I had Duran by a round, but I've always wondered why no one ever complains about this one. Very close, IMO.

Because they got the right winner probably.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Close but clear victory for Duran. Can't see Leonard wins this one.
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
ajohnfp
Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Because they got the right winner probably.
Well, shit, I think they got the winner right with Leonard Hagler, but that doesn't stop the endless shitstorm that comes up every time that fight is discussed.
ajohnfp is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Well, shit, I think they got the winner right with Leonard Hagler, but that doesn't stop the endless shitstorm that comes up every time that fight is discussed.

Yep. It's a 'bash the media guy' thing.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Duran not only landed the more meaningful power punches, but he also showed better defense. Leonard done extremely well and held his own through the fight, but Duran was simply more experienced with his aggression than Leonard. He knew the tricks of the trade so to speak.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 469

I think Duran edged it 9-6, but I will say one thing Angelo Poletti 3-2-10? Signor Poletti, you are a judge! Scoring two thirds of the fight even is not doing your job properly IMO. Personally I would ban a judge scoring a round even, is virtually impossible for fighters to fight for three minutes and finish dead even.

Last edited by TBooze; 09-05-2007 at 04:57 PM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Same thing I was thinking.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Street Lethal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Leonard-Duran I (1980)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
I've recently watched the whole 15 rounds of that fight, and to be honest with you, I didn't think Duran dominated Leonard as much as many people are saying that he did. In fact, IMO the fight could have went either way. I actually had Leonard winning the fight by a round! He landed more punches than Duran, and Duran did absolutely nothing in the 15th round. Plus Leonard was the champ and in my eyes Duran didn't "take" the title, especially since he let Leonard win the last round. I had it 144-143 for Leonard. So what do you guys think?
Not to be rude, but anybody who thinks Leonard won that fight can't see what's in front of their front. Duran clearly dominated Leonard. It's really not open to discussion. What should be discussed is how ridiculously close the scorecards were. That was the scandal.
Street Lethal is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
Street Lethal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Leonard-Duran I (1980)

The least Leonard should have done, since he was the welterweight, was to keep some of the rounds close. But keeping a round close and winning it are two different things.
Street Lethal is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #14
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Duran not only landed the more meaningful power punches, but he also showed better defense. Leonard done extremely well and held his own through the fight, but Duran was simply more experienced with his aggression than Leonard. He knew the tricks of the trade so to speak.
That Ray was made to miss badly by Duran is a splendid observation to point out. In something of a contrast to their reputations, Duran did indeed look as if he was more in control than the wilder looking Leonard.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 09-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #15
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
I think Duran edged it 9-6, but I will say one thing Angelo Poletti 3-2-10? Signor Poletti, you are a judge! Scoring two thirds of the fight even is not doing your job properly IMO. Personally I would ban a judge scoring a round even, is virtually impossible for fighters to fight for three minutes and finish dead even.
I've always wondered if it wasn't Poletti's true intention to score ten rounds for Duran. To me, it looked like an interpretive error on Poletti's part. (Then again, I'm not that familiar with his scoring history, so I can't say if he had a predilection for scoring even rounds. If he did though, it seems unlikely that he would have received an assignment like Montreal.)
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum