Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Who wins and why?
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami FL, USA
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 153
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Jack Johnson KO

why? Johnson is way too tall and strong for tunney. johnson's clinching-and hitting would surely do tunney wrong. i would give tunney a couple of rounds. but he has no chance against johnson.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
Jack Johnson KO

why? Johnson is way too tall and strong for tunney. johnson's clinching-and hitting would surely do tunney wrong. i would give tunney a couple of rounds. but he has no chance against johnson.

Agreed, Johnson was 6′ 1˝″, Tunney was 6´0, what a pysical disadvantage... how could I forgot?
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
Bad_Intentions
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami FL, USA
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 153
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Agreed, Johnson was 6′ 1˝″, Tunney was 6´0, what a pysical disadvantage... how could I forgot?
johnson was still stronger and hit harder than tunney.

anyways where have you been luigi? i haven't seen you post in weeks.
Bad_Intentions is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,298
vCash: 118
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

I think how long this fight is scheduled for is what'll make or break it either way.
Russell is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,108
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
Jack Johnson KO

why? Johnson is way too tall and strong for tunney. johnson's clinching-and hitting would surely do tunney wrong. i would give tunney a couple of rounds. but he has no chance against johnson.
No one gets under rated like Gene Tunney. Tunney was, more than any fighter that Johnson ever defeated, a classic forerunner or template for the modern day type of fighter. Far too skilled and disciplined to fit into the same category as the mostly primitive and crude fighter that Johnson feasted on as cannon fodder in his career. If anything, Tunney wouldnt have been ashamed to backpedal and jab the whole fight if need be, but he wouldnt have to do that. Again, Tunney wouldn't be offering the well telegraphed, crude swings that Johnson delighted in having thrown his way, only to pick them off in midair. How many fighters that Johnson fought can you honestly say would compare at all to a discipline, scientific boxer lioke Gene Tunney. I would pick Tunney to fight a measured, controlled and yess, even a cautious fight with textbook boxing persevering over Johnson's more unorthodox style.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,326
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
johnson was still stronger and hit harder than tunney.

anyways where have you been luigi? i haven't seen you post in weeks.


It was just a bit sarcasm, cool to see you understand that! Now I post more often I hope, I have now time...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
Hm, i can see Tunney using his faster feet to stay away from Johnson and outbox him. I don´t think that Tunney would risk fighting Johnson´s fight and i question Johnson´s ability to force one of the most intelligent hws of all-time to do so. So, i go with Tunney by UD.

And Johnson is one of my favourites and my number 3 hw.
Johnson doesn't have to make Gene fight his fight. Jack could fight Gene's fight and beat him that way if he wanted to. Johnson's handspeed was better than Tunney's (contrary to what some of you may have heard), and Johnson trwos better combinations. Gene would put up a good fight, but would lose by a decision.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
No one gets under rated like Gene Tunney. Tunney was, more than any fighter that Johnson ever defeated, a classic forerunner or template for the modern day type of fighter. Far too skilled and disciplined to fit into the same category as the mostly primitive and crude fighter that Johnson feasted on as cannon fodder in his career. If anything, Tunney wouldnt have been ashamed to backpedal and jab the whole fight if need be, but he wouldnt have to do that. Again, Tunney wouldn't be offering the well telegraphed, crude swings that Johnson delighted in having thrown his way, only to pick them off in midair. How many fighters that Johnson fought can you honestly say would compare at all to a discipline, scientific boxer lioke Gene Tunney. I would pick Tunney to fight a measured, controlled and yess, even a cautious fight with textbook boxing persevering over Johnson's more unorthodox style.
I largely agree with this. Johnson did have a tendency to loaf, and could also be more reactive than would be advisable against Gene. Tunney could also turn quickly, and come abruptly with that right hand over the top. When Johnson took on a good scientific fighter, Choynski virtually handed Jack's head to him in three rounds. Tunney would represent a whole new step up the evolutionary ladder from Choynski. He could take a 15 round decision over Lil Artha on initiative alone.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
I largely agree with this. Johnson did have a tendency to loaf, and could also be more reactive than would be advisable against Gene. Tunney could also turn quickly, and come abruptly with that right hand over the top. When Johnson took on a good scientific fighter, Choynski virtually handed Jack's head to him in three rounds. Tunney would represent a whole new step up the evolutionary ladder from Choynski. He could take a 15 round decision over Lil Artha on initiative alone.
Actually, in the Johnson-Choynski fight Johnson was handling Joe pretty easily until the right hand landed. Tunney would be game, but Johnson is a more complete fighter.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,642
vCash: 238
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

I think Tunney is the more skilled boxer. Over 15 i think he'd take it.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,102
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Tunney via UD. Johnson had major problems with Jack O'Brien. Tunney was better than O'Brien.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
hopkinsfan07
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 963
vCash: 1305
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Jack Johnson would get a ko in round 13+
hopkinsfan07 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #14
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Tunney via UD. Johnson had major problems with Jack O'Brien. Tunney was better than O'Brien.
Only because he trained 1˝ weeks for the fight.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #15
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Johnson vs. Gene Tunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
Only because he trained 1˝ weeks for the fight.
So? The only training Holmes did for Beanfart was probably the shadowboxing in his dressing room.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013