Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 06-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
deebest
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Andy Lee needs to get away from Stewart quick.

In my opinion Lee needs to get away from Steward if he wants to take the next step and go for a world title. Steward is finished living of his reputation. I think Lee has gone backwards in his last two fights no progress whats so ever. just wondering what others think.
deebest is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500
Default Re: Andy Lee needs to get away from Stewart quick.

It's Steward.

Ultimately I think Andy Lee should be putting in better performances. Either that or people are going to have to accept he's not as good of a prospect as initially touted. I don't think we should blame Steward for Lee's inability to beat average competition easily. Lee is the one with the gloves.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Kane
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
It's Steward.

Ultimately I think Andy Lee should be putting in better performances. Either that or people are going to have to accept he's not as good of a prospect as initially touted. I don't think we should blame Steward for Lee's inability to beat average competition easily. Lee is the one with the gloves.
So why have a trainer at all if it's that simple!
Kane is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

This is nothing to do with the trainer, it is delusion that Lee is something special.

He's fighting average guys. That is on Lee if he can't perform against them.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I think you have to question that if Lee isn't good enough with a trainer like Steward, maybe he's just not good enough? I can see he might need a change to freshen things up but I def. don't think its a technical problem on Stewards side thats causing these performances.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Kane
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
This is nothing to do with the trainer, it is delusion that Lee is something special.

He's fighting average guys. That is on Lee if he can't perform against them.
Are you in the Lee camp? If not then it is impossible for you to know whether it has something to do with the trainer or not.
Obviously Lee is talented, there is a problem somewhere, whether it be trainer related, low confidence, or whatever.
You cannot simply say that Lee is nothing special based on a few lacklustre performances.
Kane is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
djoc175
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
Are you in the Lee camp? If not then it is impossible for you to know whether it has something to do with the trainer or not.
Obviously Lee is talented, there is a problem somewhere, whether it be trainer related, low confidence, or whatever.
You cannot simply say that Lee is nothing special based on a few lacklustre performances.
Nor can you say that he is something special on a few lacklustre performances.
djoc175 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Just as you can't entirely blame Steward for them.

I can certainly say Lee isn't 'special' though. If he was special he'd beat these guys up without a problem, its not like he just had one 'off night'. He may well be better than he is showing, I'll give you that.

I doubt you could pin it all on the trainer though, that is the cheap option. It could well be a combination of things, wrong weight class, low confidence, something in training/personal life.

At the end of the day he's got a good trainer, and even if they don't hit it off as a partnership he should be doing a lot better if he's as good as you think.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Kane
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoc175 View Post
Nor can you say that he is something special on a few lacklustre performances.
I can say he is something special based on his outstanding amateur achievements and his impressive performances in most of his fights before the Vera fight and in one after that (against Gibbs).
Kane is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
fenian 67
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
I can say he is something special based on his outstanding amateur achievements and his impressive performances in most of his fights before the Vera fight and in one after that (against Gibbs).
im one of andys biggest fans but he was poor against gibbs as well.andy and manny are really close.since he went to america andy has lived in one of mannys houses.i was with andy friday and after the fight and he admits hes not performing well.he made no excuses for the sipos fight but he was upset that the time and length of his fight saturday had been changed the week of the fight.he had been expecting to fight in front of 40 or 50000 people but instead there was only bout 5000.he still wasnt happy with his performance though.hes also in the process of moving to new york.steward will still be his trainer but they wont be with each other day in day out which will be a good thing imo
fenian 67 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
Kane
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Just as you can't entirely blame Steward for them.

I can certainly say Lee isn't 'special' though. If he was special he'd beat these guys up without a problem, its not like he just had one 'off night'. He may well be better than he is showing, I'll give you that.

I doubt you could pin it all on the trainer though, that is the cheap option. It could well be a combination of things, wrong weight class, low confidence, something in training/personal life.

At the end of the day he's got a good trainer, and even if they don't hit it off as a partnership he should be doing a lot better if he's as good as you think.
I think it is a combination of a few factors like you say, I don't blame Lee's recent form on Steward entirely but there has to be some blame there.
I think Lee may have began to believe all this "future hall of fame" shit Steward kept going on about, he got complacent against Vera, and has been lost ever since.
Steward seemed to think that he had got the finished product in Lee when Andy himself admitted that he still has a lot to learn.
There is blame on both sides though.
Kane is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

That I can definitely agree was a major mistake from Steward. You don't put that type of pressure on a young kid even if you think he's the next great thing.

That said, I'm sure the loss to Vera put it into perspective for both. Or at least, it should have done. Now its time to go to work.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #13
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

lee has the physical attributes for manny's philosophy of training and much of the early pub he got was due to mannys influence and contacts, saying stuff like andy was the white tommy hearns was silly and raised expectations to highly, steward for me is a good trainer with the right fighter same as floyd mayweather snr, however i think steward just does too many things he's a businesman, commentator, trainer etc and although this helps in giving his fighters publicity (notice him hyping his fighters in commentary) it effects his training.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
Ectoplasm
BOXING IS DEAD
ESB Senior Member

Who would Andy go to if he left Steward?
Ectoplasm is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
lucatoni08
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'll train him...Just gotta make room out back for my make-shift gym.

I promise you guys mark My words, I will make Andy Lee Middleweight champion of the world by the end of 2010.
lucatoni08 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum