Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #16
fenian 67
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Andy Lee needs to get away from Stewart quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucatoni08 View Post
I'll train him...Just gotta make room out back for my make-shift gym.

I promise you guys mark My words, I will make Andy Lee Middleweight champion of the world by the end of 2010.
its cos of manny saying things like that people are slating him but ill put my trust in you
fenian 67 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
lucatoni08
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenian 67 View Post
its cos of manny saying things like that people are slating him but ill put my trust in you
Ha ha, yeah I know, I used to cringe when they went to interview him after Andy's fights on RTE. You could tell it was coming before he said anything and most of the crowd lapped it up.
Too much pressure to be putting on a fighter with 12 or 13 fights under his belt (as Andy had at the time).

Anyway, I'm a massive Andy Lee fan. He's the boxer that reignited my real interest in the sport about 2 years ago or so. I'll always support the guy and only hope the best for the guy. I genuinely get nervous watching him fight, I want him to win so bad....
lucatoni08 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #18
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

When Manny handed Banks reigns to his nephew i thought Andy was in for the same treatment, but thankfully it didn't happen.

After watching Vera vs lee i thought inside fighting would have been a priorty but it didn't come off. I'm a fan of both Manny and Lee but i just don't think its working for them
LHL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #19
fenian 67
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
When Manny handed Banks reigns to his nephew i thought Andy was in for the same treatment, but thankfully it didn't happen.

After watching Vera vs lee i thought inside fighting would have been a priorty but it didn't come off. I'm a fan of both Manny and Lee but i just don't think its working for them
i wouldnt be surprised if sugar hill becomes andys trainer.he was in the corner with him saturday and it was sugar with andy at the weigh in and after the fight.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #20
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Steward sure helped Lewis and Vlad.
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 04:30 AM   #21
DGLASS JAW
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

people are expecting great things, from a mediocre fighter .
DGLASS JAW is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 04:56 AM   #22
ricardoparker93
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 5403

In my opinion the two 'special' guys in boxing right now are Juanma lopez and Manny Pacquiao. Lee is 25! would lopez e struggling with alexander sipos? Lee needs to bang out a few fellow prospects and conteders to get his momentum back
ricardoparker93 is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 AM   #23
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Lee isn't Mediocre, he's good. But he needs a fresh strategy, not a new trainer. He should be fighting Macklin and co instead of these non-descript types who are good but no-ones heard of.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #24
EireFightFan
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1575

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
Lee isn't Mediocre, he's good. But he needs a fresh strategy, not a new trainer. He should be fighting Macklin and co instead of these non-descript types who are good but no-ones heard of.

Couldn't agree more. The only way Lee will ever make the step to the next level is if he the level of his opposition is improved. It's a well worn cliché that better opponents bring the best out in the really good fighters.
The problem lies with the fact that Steward is also his manager at that job he is clearly lacking.

I think that Steward's resume speaks for itself and who am I to question his merits as Lee's trainer but the evidence does suggest that Lee's opposition is sub-par and that his mistakes inside the ring are not being corrected.
EireFightFan is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #25
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by EireFightFan View Post
Couldn't agree more. The only way Lee will ever make the step to the next level is if he the level of his opposition is improved. It's a well worn cliché that better opponents bring the best out in the really good fighters.
The problem lies with the fact that Steward is also his manager at that job he is clearly lacking.

I think that Steward's resume speaks for itself and who am I to question his merits as Lee's trainer but the evidence does suggest that Lee's opposition is sub-par and that his mistakes inside the ring are not being corrected.
Spot on if Lee is to move forward he needs to fight better fighters than he is at the moment. I think it could be that Lee in his last fight was fighting at a level were he kind of knew if I turn up I dont have to do too much to beat this guy and ended up fighting to that guys level. I am shocked his jab is getting worst since going pro. He has a very good jab but by the looks of it they aren't working on it in the gym as much as they should. Hes a big lad Lee and his reach is a advantage to him but he hasn't used it right in the last few fights.
leighton is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #26
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboxer View Post
Steward sure helped Lewis and Vlad.
Farmy, that’s a great point there. In Wlad and Lennox he has two supremely talented athletes with solid boxing fundamentals that are also very intelligent. I like Andy Lee, but the way he’s struggling with second tier opposition tells me two things:

-he’s pretty much reached his level for his current approach
-his much vaunted power was vastly overrated

Manny’s done a good job with him, his punch selection’s improved, his footwork’s solid, his conditioning’s there – he just can’t do the job because he's lacking the mental tools perhaps?

Steward took Wlad’s train wreck of a career and turned him into the dominant HW in the world – no small task when no-one was picking him to pass his brother in that position.
threethirteen is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #27
Kane
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirteen View Post
Farmy, that’s a great point there. In Wlad and Lennox he has two supremely talented athletes with solid boxing fundamentals that are also very intelligent. I like Andy Lee, but the way he’s struggling with second tier opposition tells me two things:

-he’s pretty much reached his level for his current approach
-his much vaunted power was vastly overrated

Manny’s done a good job with him, his punch selection’s improved, his footwork’s solid, his conditioning’s there – he just can’t do the job because he's lacking the mental tools perhaps?

Steward took Wlad’s train wreck of a career and turned him into the dominant HW in the world – no small task when no-one was picking him to pass his brother in that position.
No actually it's not a great point at all, do you really think that Lee is getting the same amount of attention from Steward as Wlad and Lennox?!

Are you implying that Lee has neither "sound boxing fundamentals" nor "intelligence"?

Lee's power is not vastly overrated at all. In his last 4 contests (where his performances have been less than impressive), he scored knockdowns in every one!

Do you even watch Lee's fights?
Kane is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #28
fenian 67
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
No actually it's not a great point at all, do you really think that Lee is getting the same amount of attention from Steward as Wlad and Lennox?!

Are you implying that Lee has neither "sound boxing fundamentals" nor "intelligence"?

Lee's power is not vastly overrated at all. In his last 4 contests (where his performances have been less than impressive), he scored knockdowns in every one!

Do you even watch Lee's fights?
kane id be pretty sure that since andy went to america hes got more attention from manny than wlad has.manny only sees wlad for training camps.manny is andys manager,andy has been living in one of mannys houses up until recently and theyve seen each other every other day.the only thing thats wrong with andy at the moment is his opponents.im pretty sure once andy gets back in with decent opposition he will be able to up his performance accordingly
Old 06-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #29
Kane
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenian 67 View Post
kane id be pretty sure that since andy went to america hes got more attention from manny than wlad has.manny only sees wlad for training camps.manny is andys manager,andy has been living in one of mannys houses up until recently and theyve seen each other every other day.the only thing thats wrong with andy at the moment is his opponents.im pretty sure once andy gets back in with decent opposition he will be able to up his performance accordingly
No I'm pretty sure Manny is spreading himself too thin with his tv commitments and his other fighters (this has been said by people who know what goes on in the Kronk gym), and I am not talking about the amount of attention Wlad gets now compared to Lee.

I am not blaming Steward on Lee's bad form but the Wlad/Lennox comparison is not actually a valid point in my opinion.

Also when I say attention, I didn't mean how often they see each other!
Kane is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #30
threethirteen
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
“No actually it's not a great point at all, do you really think that Lee is getting the same amount of attention from Steward as Wlad and Lennox?!

Do you even watch Lee's fights?”
Gosh… talk about throwing a wobbler. Let’s be clear – I have watched his last eight fights including his last two, dreadfully unimpressive, bouts. Andy gets plenty of attention from Manny since he’s his trainer/manager/landlord/friend/father figure. He even cooks for him in training!

However much attention Lennox and Wlad got/get from Manny, there’s no doubt in my mind that as boxers and athletes they are markedly superior to Lee. They also had the great equalisers that Lee does not appear to: a huge punch. He can bang as he’s been landing clean on lower tier guys and knocking them down – but people spoke about him as if he had the straight shots of Hearns, including Manny! That’s pretty overrated by any definition.

Finally, I implied nothing but you inferred an insult where there wasn’t one. I was merely describing why Wlad and Lennox responded well with the additional caveat that, as incredibly clever men, they seemed better able to follow a gameplan and respond to advice in the corner better than Lee does. This in addition to their fundamentals meant they made great strides with Manny.

.That does not diminish Lee’s “fundamentals” but considering the amount of right hands he eats I’d suggest his defence is porous. Add in his complete lack of in-fighting ability and I’d have some grounds for making that point.

I can’t speak for his intelligence, but I can’t imagine he’s at the same IQ level as a man in possession of a properly obtained doctorate – but hey, that’s just logic speaking. Don’t take it so personally.
threethirteen is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum