Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #31
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4710
Default Re: David Tua v.s Sonny Liston

If it's a prime Tua in his prime shape , he does to Liston what he did to Ruiz .
If it's a somewhat removed from his prime condition Tua , then he does to Liston what he did to Maskaev , Izon and Oquendo.
Darroll Wilson also outjabbed Tua until a punch got in , Tua did not suffice to trail on the scorecards .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #32
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
If it's a prime Tua in his prime shape , he does to Liston what he did to Ruiz .
If it's a somewhat removed from his prime condition Tua , then he does to Liston what he did to Maskaev , Izon and Oquendo.
Darroll Wilson also outjabbed Tua until a punch got in , Tua did not suffice to trail on the scorecards .
What happened when he fought a guy with good boxing skills, a good strong jab and decent power (Lewis)? Tua hid in his shell for 12

Sonny Liston would wipe the floor with Tua
Azzer85 is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #33
Tuaman
Return Of The Terminator
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
Tua inevitably comes forward; he's not going to try to outjab Liston.
Can anyone tell me in which fights Liston jabbed his opponent off the backfoot all night long, moving around the ring and avoiding the opponent? I don't think he can. Liston's plan is to jab his way in, moving forward, stalking mostly. Against Tua, i think it will be fought in close, or at least there will be big exchanges, like Liston vs Williams.
There will be exchanges no doubt. If anything, I think Liston's jab might make an uncomfortable Tua walk backwards sometimes. (It happened in the Lewis fight)

Sonny had a good chin, but if Tua lands a good short left hook on the inside it could hurt him. In my opinion, an inside brawl would work to David's favor; he has the shorter arms and generates more power there. I'm not saying Tua wins it. I think Sonny would get the decision--he could hurt Tua more than Lewis did. But if Tua kept his hands busy and fought in close, it really increases his chances of slipping something past Sonny. David was a good finisher, too.

My money would be on Sonny, but Tua has a chance, because there will definitely be times where the two men will clash on the inside because they both move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
What happened when he fought a guy with good boxing skills, a good strong jab and decent power (Lewis)? Tua hid in his shell for 12
True, but Tua wasn't himself in 2000. After his first loss, he lost focus, gained weight, and became a One Trick Pony. He abandoned combinations and body punches. 1996-1997 David Tua would have been a bigger threat to Liston and Lewis. I'm not saying he wins, but he was fit, faster and much more active.
Tuaman is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #34
Steenalized
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 203

Listen bloodies up his face, gets a late TKO
Steenalized is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #35
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Tua has too much of a weight advantage, fellows.

I have a feeling only blacks are picking Liston.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #36
ticar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post

ticar is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #37
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
Note that Williams was not a ranked top10 contender when Liston fought him, on both occasions. Clearly he is not a class above Tua or Ibeabuchi.
Asshole, go back and check the tapes.

How many of William's fights are on black and white film?

How many of Tua and Ibeabuchi's fights are on black and white film?

How can you not understand that Williams is better because of this? Clearly you know absolutely nothing about boxing.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #38
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Note that Williams was not a ranked top10 contender when Liston fought him, on both occasions
Right after the Liston fights, he would break the top 5 for the next 4 straight years. It's safe to say Liston beat the best version of Williams.
SuzieQ49 is online now  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #39
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Tua....... Eugh. A guy who failed to pick up a title in an era that saw ruiz become a two times champ. This is a guy that fell up short vs byrd, ike and lewis. His wins over rahman and ruiz are good. But he has done nothing at all to warrant the credit he receives.

Vs liston, tua does not hear the final bell. He takes a hellacious beating worse than either lewis or ike gave him.
lufcrazy is online now  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #40
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuaman View Post
There will be exchanges no doubt. If anything, I think Liston's jab might make an uncomfortable Tua walk backwards sometimes. (It happened in the Lewis fight)

Sonny had a good chin, but if Tua lands a good short left hook on the inside it could hurt him. In my opinion, an inside brawl would work to David's favor; he has the shorter arms and generates more power there. I'm not saying Tua wins it. I think Sonny would get the decision--he could hurt Tua more than Lewis did. But if Tua kept his hands busy and fought in close, it really increases his chances of slipping something past Sonny. David was a good finisher, too.

My money would be on Sonny, but Tua has a chance, because there will definitely be times where the two men will clash on the inside because they both move forward.

True, but Tua wasn't himself in 2000. After his first loss, he lost focus, gained weight, and became a One Trick Pony. He abandoned combinations and body punches. 1996-1997 David Tua would have been a bigger threat to Liston and Lewis. I'm not saying he wins, but he was fit, faster and much more active.
Well obviously Tua has his chance, but that's only based soley on his big punch, that's it. Tua won't get by the jab of Liston. And when he does get inside he'll be tasting uppercuts and other big shots. dont see this for tua at all.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #41
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Tua needed a gift premature stoppage & gift draw against Rahman, who was clearly beating him in both fights.

Rahman is somewhat like a "Grade B" Sonny Liston. Importantly, Rahman handled Tua with a basic jab, Liston has an ATG ramrod jab from hell & incredible 84" reach like Lennox Lewis.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #42
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
You could be right.
Hydraulix is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #43
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Quote:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #44
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member

I think the Tuaman is underrated in this matchup. If he comes out and pressures Sonny right away, he may have a chance. But I'm talking about a prime, motivated Tua who is in shape.
Hydraulix is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #45
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post

he grant is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum