Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday_kid View Post
All the above points have contributed.

Also the fact that a lot of people these days prefer to watch UFC than Boxing (if they only watch one combat sport).

Completely disagree...

Lets put UFC on ITV and see if we get as many viewers as Khan's fights did or Froch vs Pascal...

Also, Klitschko vs Chagaev got over 50% of the viewers of German TV. No MMA "sport" will EVER get that...
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #17
doggyland
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

...Audley...
doggyland is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
mughalmirza786
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Khan on ITV was great, the whole family use to watch. Sometimes we'd have 15 watching off one set. We still watch khan on PPV but its not the same. I agree with alot of posters though that boxing is no longer marketable the way it used to be. Many networks simply cant justify two men hitting themselves intentionally to the public. Plus theres needs to be more domestic scraps, where people know their local prospects. Amir khan destroying cans is no longer acceptable, the people demand competition.
mughalmirza786 is online now  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 650

Imagine the uproar if 1 of the soaps got canceled be it Corrie or Eastenders no doubt if this ever happened the women of this world would get them back on TV again. So why not boxing it is real life. The goverment do go on about kids being over weight they should be highlighting sports more on free to air stations than soaps. Showcase boxing as a way of loosing weight and self defence it is a art to some people but to others it should be banned. Bombard the bbc about the lack of boxing of any sort on tv. In the past Olympics the boxing team was 1 of the better teams the UK sent over and won medals with 2012 only around the corner they should highlight boxing now to the kids.
leighton is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #20
mughalmirza786
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOYA-UK View Post
Above the line: it's about ratings, boxing just isn't that popular. There are simply too many 'men' who want to watch other, richer, 'men' play with their balls, rather than watching them beat the hell out of each other.

Below the line: boxing isn't popular because as a society we have become increasingly pussified. 'Men' use hair gel & face moisturizer, buy 300 jeans, wear frilly shirts, and copy David Beckham's latest tatoos.

We are programmed to be politically correct, and hyper-sensitive to everything. So the idea that its actually 'ok' to watch two men hit each other in the head until one is unable to continue, just generally sit well with the general public. Therefore, trying to 'sell ' boxing to them, has become an increasingly difficult task.
Good points. Ill give an example, if you told guys and girls in the office you were going to watch a game of footy, friendly banter would probably result. On the other hand if you told the office you were going to watch a boxing match, you would probably be isolated.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
The thrust of the original post is pure nonsense, no offence, my girlfriend knows a good deal more about boxing than most Internet posters. Also, I was in Germany and there were a lot of women there, pregnant women also, women want men to be men, they are going against the PC grain, there is a huge female market for boxing, make boxing, not females trying to box.

Part of the problem is that women go to British shows and feel intimidated by the often 'edgy' atmosphere, brought on by the British public's inability to relax and enjoy a drink, we prefer to get completely wasted on a Friday, and for many men the night is not complete without a fight, an illegal grope of some passing girl, and a chorus of 'get yet tats out for the lads.'

I've taken women to British fight nights and they find some of the boxing 'fans' off-putting, by this I mean the beered-up guys who are only there for one fighter.

Another problem lies with the product, it is inferior. A British promotional deal brings very little to the TV networks, who want good, competitive fights, this often involved inter-promotional deals, and our promoters are incapable of this type of union, even if it would benefit the game. Fights like Moore-Macklin are an exception, not the norm, and it hurts the sport.

The promoters have helped drive the sport into the ground, we will pay the price, they will offer us streams and whatnot, and we will pay through the nose. They are similar to the big corporations who polluted the planet for years, who now sell us 'green' products, at an extra cost. They cause the problems, we pay the price, that is capitalism for you.

We are also to blame, we let the vampire in the door by shelling out for PPVs, and by shelling out for Sky AND Setanta for our fix. We are a soft touch, the promoters can kick us in the balls with PPV streams, and we will thank them, then ask for another kick in the bollocks.

There is blame on all sides. Hopefully the promoters will see sense, working to keep the sport afloat, in all likelihood they will rag harder on the tit, looking for the short term gold, at the expense of the long-term future of the sport.
well, that's put me in my place

seriously though if you knew the sort that were big suits at places like the beeb and their attitude to boxing you'd know what i was talking about, i agree though can't generalise

btw you're the lucky one with that girlfriend
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
mughalmirza786
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton View Post
Imagine the uproar if 1 of the soaps got canceled be it Corrie or Eastenders no doubt if this ever happened the women of this world would get them back on TV again. So why not boxing it is real life. The goverment do go on about kids being over weight they should be highlighting sports more on free to air stations than soaps. Showcase boxing as a way of loosing weight and self defence it is a art to some people but to others it should be banned. Bombard the bbc about the lack of boxing of any sort on tv. In the past Olympics the boxing team was 1 of the better teams the UK sent over and won medals with 2012 only around the corner they should highlight boxing now to the kids.
People cant handle real. Its one thing for them watching a boxing movie and imagining what it must have been like, and another actually watching the real thing where people are getting damaged in front of their eyes. For me the damage part of boxing is a bonus, i like the fights where there are a clash of styles and evenly fought high level fights.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #23
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by mughalmirza786 View Post
Good points. Ill give an example, if you told guys and girls in the office you were going to watch a game of footy, friendly banter would probably result. On the other hand if you told the office you were going to watch a boxing match, you would probably be isolated.
I'm sure many of us had that experience of asking someone 'do you like boxing?' and there being an arkward silence/tumbleweed moment.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #24
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINT ISLAND View Post

Good post.

Although I dont agree with it all mind to be honest.

I got a bit of hair gel on now just because I felt like today - not every day - but today i have.

Got nothing against 300 jeans either - although I cant afford to splash out that much on jeans - my most expensive jeans are about 80 - some nice dark Levi's.

Although I never wear frilly shirts and pink shirts - its too faggotry for me.

And this copying David Beckham lark - is sadder than sad.

Who would want to copy that *****?

I'm a different breed than a soft ***** like Beckham and as such I have never been able to idrntify with the posing gimp.

However certain types of men do.

There was this one guy - who I seen walking around town alot - he was quite clearly copying Beckham.

It was a few years back - when Beckham really was at the peak of his media attention.

This guy had decided it was "cool to be a Dad" and had had a kid just so that he could get the tattoo on his back of the kids name and date of birth

and he had that big angel with wings spread on his back too what a complete tooser

now there is nothing wrong with having a kid and being a Dad

but this guy thought he was real cool and only youngish - 20 to 23 yrs old -

if it werent for Beckham having kids and being a superstar

that guy would have put off having kids and just enjoyed being young with the lads

but he decided becasue of Beckham it was "cool to be a Dad"

complete tosser

Exactly the same thing as I saw the other day. The angel on the shoulder blades, ala Beckham. Quite possibley the gayest thing I've seen in my life. Someone needs to beat the man back into them.

Beckham seems alright to me, as a person. But he pretty much represents a whole generation of metro-***ual British men who really don't know how to be men.

They'd rather read about Kerry Katona in Heat magazine, than watch Vasquez-Marquez III.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #25
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
I'm sure many of us had that experience of asking someone 'do you like boxing?' and there being an arkward silence/tumbleweed moment.
Sadly it has.

"boxing? is Ricky Hatton fighting? that Floyd Mayweather is a prick" etc.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #26
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Too many cunts want to watch football. I HATE that ****ing sport!!! It's like a sodding vampire sucking all the attention away from other sports.
I mean really, what sort of pervert wants to watch utter shite like that?

Wlad fans probably.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #27
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Never. I keep quiet about boxing and suss people out first, theres nothing worse that getting stuck in a conversation with someone who thinks they know about boxing where you end up having "Naz vs. Benn at middleweight" discussions....
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #28
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mughalmirza786 View Post
Bollocks to them...

When I used to attend football in the mid 80's nobody wanted to know about the sport.

Suddenly it became trendy and everyone wants to have an opinion. They're not real football fans becuse most of them only "support" a big 4 side and England from the comfort of an armchair or pub...

I love the fact that boxing isn't mainstream because 99% of the conversations I have are based on good solid opinions. Even if I disagree with their opinion I can see where they are coming from. Football fans just parrot what they've heard on tv and try to pass it off as their own opinion.
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #29
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I know what you mean, I went to a lot of football in the 80s and football fans were the lowest of the low as far as the papers, the politicians, the police etc were concerned.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #30
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

like Gaz, i never try and talk boxing with anyone i think will give me that look

even with a lot of my mates i just keep quiet and get that lonely feeling
slip&counter is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum