Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #31
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 3,467
vCash: 324
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

It's a vicious circle.

Boxing has always been a working class sport. As soon as it disappeared from terrestrial TV it lost much of its audience. As a result, the sport lost numbers (ie people did not travel with the sport to Sky in the way it anticipated or in the way football fans did). The problem we have now is that it looks unappealing to anyone else because the numbers dipped (in comparison to say the ITV shows of the late eighties/early nineties).

The only thing that could save it now really is if the rights to shows become so cheap that someone like channel 5 decide to snap it up because no one else does. Then you'll see viewing figures increase and the networks will sit up and take notice again.

Long story short; boxing was huge on TV so it went to Sky - viewers did not follow - it's no longer huge on TV - networks are uninterested as there is no obvious gain.
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #32
carrotcruncher
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 245
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotcruncher View Post
Quite possibly right with the BBC, although they have a chattering class Guardianista culture that is all pervasive. Perhaps no coincidence that the head of ITV1 is now Peter Fincham, ex BBC and no fan of boxing. It is supposedly a commercial decision to end coverage, but they threw away six million audiences for Khan at 11p.m. Think what Kotelnik and Barrera might have got with a 9pm start, or if they had organised their own ppv.
The ppv for Hatton and viewing figures on ITV show the audience is still there. It is inconceivable that somebody will not make moves to tap into this, and the major networks will probably be left asking themselves, "why didn't we see that."
Setanta were getting great figures for their boxing, and the bunce show from all accounts. They have gone down the pan because Richard Scudamore had ESPN cosying up to his back pocket when Setanta thought they had a deal in place to keep the network afloat. The tax issue upsetting the backers was a red herring. Setanta were ultimately sent to the wall by Scudamore's intransigence.
Regrettably, we are the ones who suffer as boxing fans. But the sport will continue. Frank ****** and Mick Hennessy have good products, and there are people out there who will realise this.
Work out the maths. I am told it costs anything between 30k and 100k to televise a night of boxing ... just for production costs. Fighters have to be paid, venue hired, security staff paid. Broadcasters have their fees. It is not cheap. But there are stars in the making ... Barker, Cleverly, Fury, Brook, Gavin, DeGale (maybe), etc. The problem is the written media obsession with football, and the fact that only Frank ****** is any good at playing the media game in the UK.
Having said all that ... the fact we are on this site talking and debating, and the fact that 1.4mill paid 15 quid a pop to watch Ricky and Mayweather, proves that the sport is not dead. It just needs a few people in positions of reponsibility to be a little braver. Khan drew 6 mill at 11 pm. That is a fact. And what was the viewing figure for the FA Cup final, the same comp that costs infinitely more to buy and to broadcast ... less than 7 mill. So how do we accept that football is the great God? A few people in the TV and newspaper industries need to give their heads a shake.
However... the argument will be from the television guys, if the advertisers are not paying the revenue it doesn't matter a jot how big the figures are .... which is why ITV are in the mire right now. As for the papers, they just write about what is on TV and most editors are conspicuously lacking in balls.
carrotcruncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #33
FLINT ISLAND
PENYRHEOL
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Behind The Boxing Club
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Girls love fighting

Just look at Ali's daughter
FLINT ISLAND is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #34
griff
WOODDDDDDDYA
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,824
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Women love Boxing. Let's face it, the rules isn't hard to follow. My Grandma used to hate sports but could name a list of boxers within a second.
griff is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #35
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 1,131
vCash: 650
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

It is weird boxing hasn't stayed on free tv more often. Over here in Ireland we are lucky if there is any sort of big boxing it is on RTE our bbc if you like to call it that. For the last couple of years we have seen Duddy , Lee , McCloskey , Macklin and Dunne all headline RTE shows which is great. The best thing about Dunnes win in the world title the first World title fight in Ireland since Collins Eubank was it was on free to air tv. People got the chance to watch the fight which was watched by well over a million people which is amazing as it works out as 1 in 5 people watched it. The money is there to be made out of boxing by tv companies. I expect RTE to release the fight on DVD to sell to people so they will make money out of that to cover there costs.
RTE ****ed up years ago when Collins fought Eubank they never showed the fight because Sky promoted it but people were fuming why they didn't come to a deal with Sky for the fight.
David Hayes of the world he is very marketable so for bbc to back him if SKY dont would make sense. He has his Hayemaker promotions on top of that and they put on the fights that you hope to see local unlike other promotors. Add to that soon he will be fighting for a World title and it will be on 10 or 11 our time not daft o clock in the morning be it in Germany or England. Then you have Froch it is a disgrace his fight was not shown by any tv station for the Talyor fight live. He is like Haye and would be a hit with the public as he is already known. Are the tv stations willing to take a risk on these 2 as if they do it would make them money in the longterm not loose them money.
leighton is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #36
mughalmirza786
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,140
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mc View Post
Bollocks to them...

When I used to attend football in the mid 80's nobody wanted to know about the sport.

Suddenly it became trendy and everyone wants to have an opinion. They're not real football fans becuse most of them only "support" a big 4 side and England from the comfort of an armchair or pub...

I love the fact that boxing isn't mainstream because 99% of the conversations I have are based on good solid opinions. Even if I disagree with their opinion I can see where they are coming from. Football fans just parrot what they've heard on tv and try to pass it off as their own opinion.
Its not so much they wont know about boxing but they are disgusted by it. Its the same thing they drill into kids at school these days. 'Violence doesnt solve anything', that is probably true but the aim of boxing is to hit and not get hit, its an art form, a thinking mans game at the higest level. I think the other reason why it wont be as big as say football is because not everyone can take part. You cant just go down to the local ring put on gloves and go at it whereas with football any person no matter how untalented can get a ball and go to the local park.
mughalmirza786 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #37
DGLASS JAW
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 299
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

TV building up fighters on their channel ,then having fighters jump ship .
DGLASS JAW is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #38
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
credit crunch, promoters getting in the way of the best matches....bla bla bla

i'm sorry to say it, but the reason the networks are not televising the sport is because WOMAN have taken over the top executive jobs, they're making all the decisions, look back on when the sport was a huge tv sport and there wasn't that many woman at the top

the fewer women they have the more sympathetic they are towards the sport (ITV, Sky although the demographic is changing rapidly)

i'm i talking nonsense?

p.s i'm refering particularly to the beeb

the problem with the beeb has nothing to do with women, its a two fold issue that means the type of sport it is (mostly the fault of promoters) and the fact that it is a state sponsored corp


they simply couldnt justify to the majority of people paying out the money they would need to. look at the reaction to the million they handed audley. at the time he was expected to be the next heavyweight superstar and people still questioned it


on that note, they also got their fingers burnt pretty bad by audely- fact is any investment they make HAS to bear fruit and the sport, love it as i do, can be hit and miss
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #39
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
The thrust of the original post is pure nonsense, no offence, my girlfriend knows a good deal more about boxing than most Internet posters. Also, I was in Germany and there were a lot of women there, pregnant women also, women want men to be men, they are going against the PC grain, there is a huge female market for boxing, make boxing, not females trying to box.

Part of the problem is that women go to British shows and feel intimidated by the often 'edgy' atmosphere, brought on by the British public's inability to relax and enjoy a drink, we prefer to get completely wasted on a Friday, and for many men the night is not complete without a fight, an illegal grope of some passing girl, and a chorus of 'get yet tats out for the lads.'

I've taken women to British fight nights and they find some of the boxing 'fans' off-putting, by this I mean the beered-up guys who are only there for one fighter.

Another problem lies with the product, it is inferior. A British promotional deal brings very little to the TV networks, who want good, competitive fights, this often involved inter-promotional deals, and our promoters are incapable of this type of union, even if it would benefit the game. Fights like Moore-Macklin are an exception, not the norm, and it hurts the sport.

The promoters have helped drive the sport into the ground, we will pay the price, they will offer us streams and whatnot, and we will pay through the nose. They are similar to the big corporations who polluted the planet for years, who now sell us 'green' products, at an extra cost. They cause the problems, we pay the price, that is capitalism for you.

We are also to blame, we let the vampire in the door by shelling out for PPVs, and by shelling out for Sky AND Setanta for our fix. We are a soft touch, the promoters can kick us in the balls with PPV streams, and we will thank them, then ask for another kick in the bollocks.

There is blame on all sides. Hopefully the promoters will see sense, working to keep the sport afloat, in all likelihood they will rag harder on the tit, looking for the short term gold, at the expense of the long-term future of the sport.

lotta sense being spoken by this man
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #40
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

That Audley deal was ridiculous, they bought the first 10 fights of a new pro. Those fights are usually one-sided blow outs or stinkers.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #41
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,433
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
That Audley deal was ridiculous, they bought the first 10 fights of a new pro. Those fights are usually one-sided blows or stinkers.

i know mate, someone seriously dropped the ball on that one!
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #42
FLINT ISLAND
PENYRHEOL
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Behind The Boxing Club
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
lotta sense being spoken by this man

When Terry D speaks the Brit Forum listens

He is more than just your average mug poster

He works for a Boxing Website as a writer and interviews pro fighters.
FLINT ISLAND is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #43
mughalmirza786
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,140
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
like Gaz, i never try and talk boxing with anyone i think will give me that look

even with a lot of my mates i just keep quiet and get that lonely feeling
I know what you mean. I wont tell anyone at the office that i box to stay in shape. I once shut up my university lecturer who was going off on one saying he played rugby as a young lad and it was a tough sport (which it is). When i told him i boxed he stopped boasting. The worst one is when you tell someone you box, and they think your some kind of homicidal thug.
mughalmirza786 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #44
JIm Broughton
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 386
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Im sure there are a lot of reasons why tv abandoned Boxing but Boxing itself bears a lot of the blame also. I can remember watching Ali fight on regular TV as well as men like Hagler, Holmes, Leonard, Sanchez (RIP), Norton and others. NBC's Sportsworld often had fights on a Saturday afternoon. Well once Pay Per View came into its own, Boxing said goodbye to TV. Now you have to pay 40 big ones to watch the IFB or WBwhatever champion take on someone. Who can relate to 3 "champions" in one friggin' division. That's ridiculous. Plus it's a different world now. Fewer young people are drawn to Boxing. This is the Internet/video game/Ipod instant gratification age which is why MMA is so popular with young people today. It's like a real live video game which doesn't require a long attention span to enjoy. I'm sure young people who could maybe go either way would be drawn more to a MMA match of 3-3 minute rounds over a 10 round Boxing match which requires more time and thought to fully understand the subtle skills involved. Another contributing factor is the fact that there is no real charismatic HW champion that people can relate to. Where are the Ali's or Louis' or Marciano's that can excite the crowds (Excuse me for forgetting Dempsey) but do you know what I mean? Boxing has to get mainstream again and offer good fights that the average sports fan can gain easy access to. One champion in each division would be nice too. And while we're on the subject, lets get back to 8 divisions even if the weight ranges have to be adjusted somewhat. Too many champions.Too watered down. It's gotten way out of hand.
JIm Broughton is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #45
superfly98
Bull
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 562
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Theory on why TV is turning its back on boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mughalmirza786 View Post
I know what you mean. I wont tell anyone at the office that i box to stay in shape. I once shut up my university lecturer who was going off on one saying he played rugby as a young lad and it was a tough sport (which it is). When i told him i boxed he stopped boasting. The worst one is when you tell someone you box, and they think your some kind of homicidal thug.
I understand that completely. U always get people give you the weird look, hold there purses, Run scared
superfly98 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013