Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #16
GNARL
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cold Showers, Ice Baths?

After endurance workouts, colder or ice baths can be taken to aid in recovery and flush metabolic waste from the body. After strength workouts, a warmer bath is fine. For a full body recovery, sauna or steam room with massage or not added with a breaks of cold, hot, cold, hot, cold showers and a few sessions of the sauna or steam room breaks down wastes, lactic acid, and helps body recover. Should usually be done by the end of the training week with one full day of rest and recovery afterward.
GNARL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
dark

vCash: 500

Since I have experience with this I'll bring this back from the dead.

Back in 2009, I read about cold showers and their benefits. They say it improves blood circulation, alleviates depression, increases energy and wellbeing, and other things.

Also in that same year, I was watching MSNBC Lockup and the guard was saying how the California inmates took cold showers to make them mentally tough. Also, they compared the feeling to being stabbed by a knife because of how it shocked the body.

So I decided to give it a shot. Imagine yourself waking up in the morning and then jumping into a cold shower. There's really no way to prepare yourself for that. You just have to do it. It was at that point I understood why it made those inmates mentally tough. After you get past all that bullshit you feel great. It's an invigorating feeling to wake up instantly and feel energized once that cold water hits you.

It's been 3 years since I started and I haven't had a cold/flu or any nasal congestion. I feel better mentally and I do have more energy than I did. You can't say cold showers don't do anything if you've never stuck with it for 3 years every morning. I haven't had a warm shower since 09.

I'm at the point where my body warms itself up to counter the cold water after about 10 seconds of it. It actually feels great.

So go ahead and jump out of your warm bed in the morning and into a cold shower. If that doesn't make you mentally tough then I don't know what will.
dark is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

George Francis, who Trained many Great Fighters,always Had them running on Hampstead Heath, in the morning. Rain,Snow, or Blow, the highlight of the Runs, was to swin in the lake. There were times when the Ice, had to be broken, no Kidding. In they went, nobody refused George
scrap is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

i do it sometimes after training. but first i put warm shower, i do little stretching and then i switch to cold and that is real stabbing but also i feel very nice after it. its not a myth
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
SlickMick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 396

I did this for 2-3 weeks once in high school. Ice-cold showers and I started getting frostbites on my hands, maybe I'm doing it wrong but no, not again.
SlickMick is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
dark

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickMick View Post
I did this for 2-3 weeks once in high school. Ice-cold showers and I started getting frostbites on my hands, maybe I'm doing it wrong but no, not again.
Frostbite from a cold shower is impossible. A person gets frostbite when water is below freezing. At that point it's no longer water. It's ice.

If anything, hypothermia would've set in if a long cold shower was the case.
dark is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing