Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Could Jack Knock Out Liston?
Hell Yes 52 68.42%
Nope 24 31.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #61
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Jack Dempsey Knock Out Sonny Liston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Fair call.

I am not saying that you are way out of line here with what you are saying and you always make good points.

One point that I should make is that the black dynamite era before Dempsey was one of the richest eras of black talent that we have ever seen. Whether we are talking about the Jack Johnsons and Sam Langfors of the heavyweight divison, the Jeff Clarks of the middleweight division, The Joe Walcotts and Dixie Kids of th welterweight division or the Joe Gans's Jack Blackburns, Dave Holly's and Bobby Dobbs's of the lightweight division, there was all time great talent at every level.

I don't think that there was that kind of talent in the black divisons of Dempseys era.
I agree with you.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #62
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

could dempsey knock out liston ,yes
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #63
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
I agree with you.
On a side note you could go through the rankings in the black dynamite era and find two all time great black dynamos (I mean all time greats in the pound for pound sense) in every weight class from heavyweight to lightweight and possibly twice that in at lightweight.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #64
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member

This is a fight I'd love to see. I definitely think Jack has a chance if he lands that left hook flush.
Hydraulix is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 04:56 AM   #65
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The thing is, too many people are under the impression that Dempsey was a one-dimensional swarmer with no boxing brain.

But if you watch Dempsey against big strong Willard you'll see how cautious and elusive he is when faced with a bigger stronger man. That's prime Dempsey. And he himself said, "You cant fight a man like Willard, you have to box him !", and that's what Dempsey did, he moved in and out, attack, retreat, circle, until he had Jess in trouble .... he didn't just chug forward like Frazier did against Foreman, that would be suicide, against a Willard or a Liston.

Could Dempsey knock Liston out ? Yes, of course.
But Liston could knock Dempsey out too.

I'd pick Dempsey myself. I feel Liston is a bit too slow and less reliable, and he's become vastly overrated on this board.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #66
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Which Jack Dempsey are you matching against Sonny Liston? There are two Dempsey's...The past prime Dempsey seen ad nauseam of the Tunney fights on film, or the great tiger of Willard [1919] and before,who has never to my knowledge ben seen on youtube? The real young Dempsey who kod such large men as Willard, Carl Morris, Fred Fulton, Arthur Pelkey,Bill Brennan, all the size of Liston, in short order,was a larger edition of Roberto Duran, of recent years...That Dempsey was described at that time as "fast as a welterweight", hard to hit solidly,and a pulverizing puncher with both hands..That Dempsey, I believe would have ko'd Liston most certainly...Speed kills. is the old adage, and Dempsey in prime would get there "Fustess With The Mostess". Dempsey by Ko...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #67
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

P.S. Why do some always inject race in every post...We have changed as a society,thank goodness...These politically correct moralists,spout nonsense most of the time...Do they not realize that we, and yes THEM ALSO, are products of our times...Were these ,todays critics of our ancestors of the past, have acted much different, than our forebearers of yesterday did ? I doubt it..We all grow from experiences, and so should todays, so called moral gatekeepers...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #68
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

an easy night for sonny. ko in 2 rounds
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #69
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Liston was spectacular to watch against guys who had been Ko'd before. a lot of lively, mauling fighters gave sonny trouble until he cut them and as burt says peak jack was like duran. fast hands, all movement and footwork with a radar for openings. dempsey was beter than marshal, faster than wiliams, stronger mentaly than floyd and harder hitting than ali. even if dempsey only landed half the punches on liston that ali did the fight would last half as long.
Liston was a great on top fighter. his jab was a weapon and evrything he did hurt.
admitedly liston had power at any range and was very hard to hit since most fighters couldnt get past his jab and got hurt trying. but you could unsettle liston if you could hit him even if you had to be good to land. dempsey would land. fighters who could land gave liston trouble. sonny could beat anything that froze in front in front of him. dempsey would not freeze. dempsey had too much fire, speed and heart for liston.
choklab is online now  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #70
djanders
Contender
ESB Senior Member

"Could Jack Dempsey Knock Out Sonny Liston?" Of course he could.

Dempsey hit very hard, and often, with power shots...and...in his prime, would be too fast for Sonny Liston. And Jack would not fold up his tent the first time Liston connected with something hard...quite the opposite, in fact. Sonny is perfect for Jack and I would pick Jack to win this fight, without hesitation.
djanders is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #71
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

He could of course knock him out. Weather he WOULD is a different story.I think Sonny is too big and too strong for jack dempsey. he is also smarter and hits a little harder.
i think liston takes this one by knockout
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 03-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #72
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Certainly Dempsey could KO Liston.

I think the fight's a toss-up.
guilalah is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #73
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4710

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
And Dempsey got knocked out in one by Fireman Flynn.
wasn't that fight fixed for gambling purposes ?

to the subject : dempsey ducked black fighters.
liston is mainly a hype , true , but he also had ability.
how much ablity ? i don't know , i guess less than what most in here think.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #74
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Yes
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #75
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulix View Post
Is this possible? This is a hard fight to call. Sonny was so strong and could very possibly make quick work of Dempsey.

But on the other hand, Dempsey could easily make Sonny miss his blows by bobbing and weaving, and hurt the 'Big Ugly Bear' with thunderous shots to the body. Jack would also smash him with that hard left hook or pulverizing right hand.

Tough one to call, but I can guarantee that someone would get knocked out in this fight. Could Dempsey pull it off?
I feel that Liston would get his jab and heavy artillery in before Dempsey could set himself. I envisage an early knockout in Sonny's favour. Of course,if Dempsey is somehow still there after the halfway mark,he'd have a great chance in outlasting Liston,but I can't see it.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum