Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,403
vCash: 168
Default Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

12 rounds. At 138 lbs.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

Good match, hard to call, would be close and could go either way just like the Laguana fight
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

I'm going for Locche just because i think at his best he can overcome stylistic adversities in the ring. But i do think Buchanan can beat him and i'm not totally sure on my pick. Buchanan can mix it up with flurries made up of short punches to both body and head, whilst moving about the centre of the ring all the while. Would be a tremendous fight, shame we never got to see it.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

I think Buchanan has this one in the bag. Locche is too lacking physically and offensively.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

agree with Pea. Buchanan would take it but what a great fight for the purist
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: out preaching for the church of benn
Posts: 6,671
vCash: 1054
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

buchanan close pts win but a ud
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,246
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

If Buchanan emulated the style of Alfonso Peppermint Fraser and forsook going for Locche's head and concentrated on points scoring to the body and utilized his footwork like Alfonso did, I give him a chance for a points win. It was useless trying to go for the head against Locche, even a sharpshooter like Buchanan would be troubled.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
If Buchanan emulated the style of Alfonso Peppermint Fraser and forsook going for Locche's head and concentrated on points scoring to the body and utilized his footwork like Alfonso did, I give him a chance for a points win. It was useless trying to go for the head against Locche, even a sharpshooter like Buchanan would be troubled.
Though i agree, i just want to point out that i always thought Locche's defense against bodyshots was virtually superb.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,098
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

Depends. Buchanan is not winning a close decision in Argentina. Ortiz and Laguna tried.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 1,397
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Depends. Buchanan is not winning a close decision in Argentina. Ortiz and Laguna tried.
Probably true, seen as many contemporary reports had Ortiz and Laguna as close victors in those bouts. Nevertheless, Locche was a miracle to watch in the pocket - one of my favourites - and a bout with Ken would have been very close IMO. Both were rhythm fighters, so Buchanan would probably need to disrupt Locche as much as possible by varying his approach, which I think he could have done successfully. Once Locche had a man even slightly sussed out, no amount of punches on earth were going to hit him, head OR body; he seemed to have a forcefield around the latter that was aided by his build.

Ah bollocks to it, Buchanan by close UD
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #11
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,246
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Though i agree, i just want to point out that i always thought Locche's defense against bodyshots was virtually superb.
Yes, you're right..what distinguished Alfonso Fraser's body work against Locche was that it was part of a clever battle plan devised for the purpose of just scoring points..as he put it in an interview...to go in, pepper the body, which was a more stationary target than Locche's head, and then just as quicly, get out of range.."in and out"..and I guess the tactic was helpful in that it just may have been Locche's night to be taken, but it worked, whatever the case. Sometimes, fights won when a fighter adopts a clever strategy or game plan fascinate me more than the big knockouts and fireworks. I think that Buchanan was certainly capable of pulling off that trick with Locche..remember Ken's nontitle win over Donato Paduano...on the night of Ali-Bonavena at MSG. Ken was always more graceful and fleet a boxer against guys that weren't long-limbed fleet footed movers like Laguna. Locche was brilliant, but he wasn't exactly a dancer or a runner or a mover. His brilliance was of the upper body, and any body who committed themselves too much on their power, trying to nail Locche to the head or body that way was usually foiled.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #12
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 1,397
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Yes, you're right..what distinguished Alfonso Fraser's body work against Locche was that it was part of a clever battle plan devised for the purpose of just scoring points..as he put it in an interview...to go in, pepper the body, which was a more stationary target than Locche's head, and then just as quicly, get out of range.."in and out"..and I guess the tactic was helpful in that it just may have been Locche's night to be taken, but it worked, whatever the case. Sometimes, fights won when a fighter adopts a clever strategy or game plan fascinate me more than the big knockouts and fireworks. I think that Buchanan was certainly capable of pulling off that trick with Locche..remember Ken's nontitle win over Donato Paduano...on the night of Ali-Bonavena at MSG. Ken was always more graceful and fleet a boxer against guys that weren't long-limbed fleet footed movers like Laguna. Locche was brilliant, but he wasn't exactly a dancer or a runner or a mover. His brilliance was of the upper body, and any body who committed themselves too much on their power, trying to nail Locche to the head or body that way was usually foiled.
Nicely put sir. You a fan of Buchanan? He's one of my personal favourites.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,246
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
Nicely put sir. You a fan of Buchanan? He's one of my personal favourites.
Yes, I've always been a fan of Buchanan's. I think that his title winning effort against Laguna was won thru sheer will to win and grittiness, but that nontitle fight with Paduano in '70 was what really impressed even the oldtimers and brought comparisons with past boxing masters. I also think he deserved a rematch with Duran, and provided the Pride of Panama with his toughest test. Ken actually seemed to be on a surge of sorts in the fateful 13th round just prior to the outrageous ending and was screwed over by the ref, who could have allowed Buchanan a bit more time to recover, IMO.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #14
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,630
vCash: 166
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Yes, you're right..what distinguished Alfonso Fraser's body work against Locche was that it was part of a clever battle plan devised for the purpose of just scoring points..as he put it in an interview...to go in, pepper the body, which was a more stationary target than Locche's head, and then just as quicly, get out of range.."in and out"..and I guess the tactic was helpful in that it just may have been Locche's night to be taken, but it worked, whatever the case. Sometimes, fights won when a fighter adopts a clever strategy or game plan fascinate me more than the big knockouts and fireworks. I think that Buchanan was certainly capable of pulling off that trick with Locche..remember Ken's nontitle win over Donato Paduano...on the night of Ali-Bonavena at MSG. Ken was always more graceful and fleet a boxer against guys that weren't long-limbed fleet footed movers like Laguna. Locche was brilliant, but he wasn't exactly a dancer or a runner or a mover. His brilliance was of the upper body, and any body who committed themselves too much on their power, trying to nail Locche to the head or body that way was usually foiled.

Quality post.

Just needs a few ENTERS in it
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs. Nicolino Locche

one of my fav fighters is ian napa a very similar fighter to locche. now he doesnt have the talent of locche but he has the style, the powerless punches and the unaggressive/ passive behaviour.
napa got outpointed alot of the times becuase if the guy is on the backfoot he has to chase which means he has lost the arguement.

a outboxer always beats a trapper i feel. give them something to bite on then get out and counter the counterpuncher, a reaosn why i felt that calzaghe outpointed hopkins was on this aspect.

moore,toney,napa,locche,eubank had problems when the guy didnt come to him, we all know that. so logically kenny would outpoint him with that left cross while locche waits for the right cross.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013