Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #31
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138
Default Re: The Prospect of the Year Curse struck down again! - 2010: Danny Jacobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBone View Post
The fighter who receives the prestigeous Prospect of the Year award is the best young fighter and future star in a given year, so you would think there's no chance of that talent losing right after getting the writers' recognition.

But in reality, you really don't want to receive ESPN's Prospect of the Year award, because you're most likely gonna get beat in 12 months!

Let's see the list!

Prospect of the Year in 2000: Julio Diaz
- upset by Angel Manfredy in 2001

Prospect of the Year in 2001: Francisco Bojado

- upset by Juan Carlos Rubio in 2002

Prospect of the Year in 2004: Sam Peter

- upset (Peter favored 3-to-1) by Wlad Klitschko in 2005

Prospect of the Year in 2005: Joel Julio

- upset by Carlos Quintana in 2006

Prospect of the Year in 2007: Amir Khan

- upset by Breidis Prescott in 2008

Prospect of the Year in 2008: Victor Ortiz

- upset by Marcos Maidana in 2009

and:

Prospect of the Year in 2009: Danny Jacobs!
- upset in 2010?
I never understood the hype with Jacobs he wasn't shit to begin with. Far more better prospects out there Lara comes to mind.
Pimp C is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #32
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Prospect of the Year Curse struck down again! - 2010: Danny Jacobs?

Jacobs is a fine young fighter, this match-up simply came too early, just as Maidana for Ortiz last year. Golden Boy needs to learn to take their time with the youngsters, there should be no rush.

Anyway, here's the KO, Danny never saw the punch coming.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Outstanding shot.
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #33
loginistooshort
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Jacobs is a fine young fighter, this match-up simply came too early, just as Maidana for Ortiz last year. Golden Boy needs to learn to take their time with the youngsters, there should be no rush.

Outstanding shot.
You say that but then there would be people saying all he's fighting are bums. Also, Pirog, to the average fan was expected to lose.
loginistooshort is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #34
Juiceboxbiotch
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 372

Quote:

Outstanding shot.
Actually I think its awesome that GBP is putting their prospects in tough earlier. They are actually taking risks and letting actual boxing matches separate the jokes from the real deals.
Juiceboxbiotch is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #35
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Ha. Agree with Brickhaus. Rafael is one of the few boxing writers with journalistic accountability, but that's really all he's good for. His scoring is bunk, and his analysis of fights and fighters is worse than at least 25% of the people who post at ESB.

He's probably going to end up OK on Khan, and obviously Cotto, Taylor and Berto are fine. Peter isn't awful.

The problem is that he gets swept away by aggressive power. If a prospect blows out a series of C-fighters or worse, Rafael is very impressed by that. He doesn't credit the more subtle talent of boxers or even boxer-punchers.

I think the most egregious example the past few years was choosing Joel Julio over Chad Dawson. Julio had been knocking out nobodies but obviously was limited, while Dawson very impressively outclassed Ian Gardner on Shobox. I emailed him during his chats at the time asking him to defend his choice, but he never did.

There are other examples, too. He needs to stop relying so much on Top Rank and GBP.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #36
Journey Man
Journeyman always.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 137

Quote:

Outstanding shot.
Im calling this the best post I ever read on this website.
Journey Man is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #37
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp C View Post
I never understood the hype with Jacobs he wasn't shit to begin with. Far more better prospects out there Lara comes to mind.
are you kidding me?

jacobs had a stellar amateur career, promoters were fighting over who would sign him.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #38
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceboxbiotch View Post
Actually I think its awesome that GBP is putting their prospects in tough earlier. They are actually taking risks and letting actual boxing matches separate the jokes from the real deals.
its a bad idea, boxers are human they need to learn as they get older/better

look at what top rank did with cotto/floyd/de la hoya

they matched those fighters up perfectly, each time increasing the level of opposition little by little, they matched those fighters up with every kind of style, in boxing you have to learn on the job, ortiz/jacobs didn't get that chance and were fed to the sharks.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #39
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
are you kidding me?

jacobs had a stellar amateur career, promoters were fighting over who would sign him.
I saw Jacobs fight live here in Houston on the JMM-Diaz undercard and didn't see anything special with him. I'm sorry I'm not blown away by Jacobs never have been. There are far more better prospects out there than Jacobs.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #40
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
I saw Jacobs fight live here in Houston on the JMM-Diaz undercard and didn't see anything special with him. I'm sorry I'm not blown away by Jacobs never have been. There are far more better prospects out there than Jacobs.
you saw him get the shit beat out of him, obviously you're not gonna be impressed, plus this pirog guy is a bad mofo.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #41
bigboxingfan
Hypejob
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

These prospects' of the year get a lot of hype so they also have to deal with the pressure of getting into tougher fights earlier than they could otherwise. When fans hear about you everyday and see that you haven't fought anyone as yet, they start demanding that you step it up to justify the hype. This can make promoters put these guys in a tougher fight than they are ready for. Promoters have to be careful how they bring these guys up because one loss changes everything- boxing fans are harsh and they can't stand the "0" going away
bigboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #42
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

Ortiz, Khan, and Jacobs are all Golden Boy fighters. It makes me wonder if anybody with a brain scouted their opponents. You guys who have been on ESB for some time probably know what I think about bringing a prospect up. CAUTION is the watch word.

And speaking of caution, this thread actually validates my arguments against putting Pirog in with a top guy any time soon. Chronologically Pirog is old for a prospect. He's 30 years of age, but he has only been a professional for 5 years, and has a whopping 92 rounds under his belt. In ring years Pirog is fresh as a daisy, and probably isn't even close to peaking. If Pirog's people put him in with a top guy right off the bat, that guy will make Pirog look like what he is: A Prospect. That is the wrong thing to do with an extremely talented fighter. I'd tell you to ask Davey Moore about that, but Davey is dead, and he died broke!
booradley is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #43
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
you saw him get the shit beat out of him, obviously you're not gonna be impressed, plus this pirog guy is a bad mofo.
I saw him go life and death with Ishe Smith on that undercard. The guy is simply too flawed to be awarded prospect of the year. For example, Lara is a much more complete and better fighter.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #44
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
I saw him go life and death with Ishe Smith on that undercard. The guy is simply too flawed to be awarded prospect of the year. For example, Lara is a much more complete and better fighter.
You're exaggerating more than a bit there. Fernando Guerrero you could say went life and death with Ishe Smith. Jacobs won a pretty darn clear 97-93 decision where he got hit a few more times than he should have.

He has great handspeed and footspeed, can throw 80 punches a round for a sustained period of time, and obviously not a spectacular beard. Some improvements to his defense, and he'll do just fine. He just needs a trainer who can get him to focus better and keep his hands up.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #45
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus View Post
You're exaggerating more than a bit there. Fernando Guerrero you could say went life and death with Ishe Smith. Jacobs won a pretty darn clear 97-93 decision where he got hit a few more times than he should have.

He has great handspeed and footspeed, can throw 80 punches a round for a sustained period of time, and obviously not a spectacular beard. Some improvements to his defense, and he'll do just fine. He just needs a trainer who can get him to focus better and keep his hands up.
Maybe but he wasn't impressive at all, shit defense and bad technique, he was incredibly flawed IMO. I left saying he's okay nothing special better prospects out there.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum