boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #46
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: The Prospect of the Year Curse struck down again! - 2010: Danny Jacobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp C View Post
Maybe but he wasn't impressive at all, **** defense and bad technique, he was incredibly flawed IMO. I left saying he's okay nothing special better prospects out there.
If you're comparing him to Lara, who's 6 years older than Jacobs, then it's a false comparison. Of course young guys like Jacobs, Lemieux and Alvarez are going to have technical flaws. They're practically still kids. Learning technique takes time.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #47
BrooklynMumin
HOPKINS A " G "
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Prospect of the Year Curse struck down again! - 2010: Danny Jacobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBone View Post
The fighter who receives the prestigeous Prospect of the Year award is the best young fighter and future star in a given year, so you would think there's no chance of that talent losing right after getting the writers' recognition.

But in reality, you really don't want to receive ESPN's Prospect of the Year award, because you're most likely gonna get beat in 12 months!

Let's see the list!

Prospect of the Year in 2000: Julio Diaz
- upset by Angel Manfredy in 2001

Prospect of the Year in 2001: Francisco Bojado
- upset by Juan Carlos Rubio in 2002

Prospect of the Year in 2004: Sam Peter
- upset (Peter favored 3-to-1) by Wlad Klitschko in 2005

Prospect of the Year in 2005: Joel Julio
- upset by Carlos Quintana in 2006

Prospect of the Year in 2007: Amir Khan
- upset by Breidis Prescott in 2008

Prospect of the Year in 2008: Victor Ortiz
- upset by Marcos Maidana in 2009

and:

Prospect of the Year in 2009: Danny Jacobs!
- upset in 2010?
Victor Ortiz loss didnt surprise me, I never felt he was a technically sound boxer. Just good power in that left hand. He wont go far mark my words.
BrooklynMumin is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #48
BrooklynMumin
HOPKINS A " G "
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBone View Post
Jacobs is a fine young fighter, this match-up simply came too early, just as Maidana for Ortiz last year. Golden Boy needs to learn to take their time with the youngsters, there should be no rush.

Anyway, here's the KO, Danny never saw the punch coming.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Outstanding shot.
Wow
BrooklynMumin is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #49
5Burowz

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Ortiz, Khan, and Jacobs are all Golden Boy fighters. It makes me wonder if anybody with a brain scouted their opponents. You guys who have been on ESB for some time probably know what I think about bringing a prospect up. CAUTION is the watch word.

And speaking of caution, this thread actually validates my arguments against putting Pirog in with a top guy any time soon. Chronologically Pirog is old for a prospect. He's 30 years of age, but he has only been a professional for 5 years, and has a whopping 92 rounds under his belt. In ring years Pirog is fresh as a daisy, and probably isn't even close to peaking. If Pirog's people put him in with a top guy right off the bat, that guy will make Pirog look like what he is: A Prospect. That is the wrong thing to do with an extremely talented fighter. I'd tell you to ask Davey Moore about that, but Davey is dead, and he died broke!

I disagree. Testosterone levels in males start dropping as early as 30-years-old. Age DOES have something to do with it; regardless of ring wear.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #50
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

Default Re: Less than 24 hours before Dan Rafael puts another prospect on a strether!

The fighter who receives the prestigeous Prospect of the Year award is the best young fighter and future star in a given year, so you would think there's no chance of that talent losing right after getting the writers' recognition.

But in reality, you really don't want to receive ESPN's Prospect of the Year award, because you're most likely gonna get beat in 12 months! Call it the revenge of the cheeseburger or the derail of the ice-cream truck, the curse strikes down one year after another and prospects come close to a nervous breakdown every time Dansday is approaching. Last year I predicted (not much of a prediction I guess) that Danny Jacobs will fall, and he did, and less than 24 hours and we'll know the name of the next unfortunate who's prospect run will come to an end in 2011.

Let's see the list!

Prospect of the Year in 2000: Julio Diaz
- upset by Angel Manfredy in 2001

Prospect of the Year in 2001: Francisco Bojado

- upset by Juan Carlos Rubio in 2002

Prospect of the Year in 2004: Sam Peter

- upset (Peter favored 3-to-1) by Wlad Klitschko in 2005

Prospect of the Year in 2005: Joel Julio

- upset by Carlos Quintana in 2006

Prospect of the Year in 2007: Amir Khan

- upset by Breidis Prescott in 2008

Prospect of the Year in 2008: Victor Ortiz

- upset by Marcos Maidana in 2009

Prospect of the Year in 2009: Danny Jacobs
- upset by Dmitry Pirog in 2010

Prospect of the Year in 2010: ??? ???
- upset by ??? ??? in 2011
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #51
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987
Default Re: Less than 24 hours before Dan Rafael puts another prospect on a stretcher!

Saul Alvarez. Who will he be upset by in '11?
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #52
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900
Default Re: Less than 24 hours before Dan Rafael puts another prospect on a stretcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
Saul Alvarez. Who will he be upset by in '11?
angulo, cintron, possibly even vanes martyirosian.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #53
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

if i was a betting man id go for lemieux as prospect of the year 2010.
chatty is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #54
drozzy
AERE
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
if i was a betting man id go for lemieux as prospect of the year 2010.
Only Lemieux will not get upset anytime soon

...but that's just me. Bring on Maravilla.

"Michel said he is not overly concerned with Lemieux's lack of rounds because the fighter gets excellent rounds training in the gym, where he spars with light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (whom Michel also promotes).

Michel and Anber are mapping out Lemieux's 2011. They figure he will be ready for a title fight shortly."
drozzy is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #55
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

How about Brad Solomon?
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #56
SportsLeader
Chilling
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozzy View Post
Only Lemieux will not get upset anytime soon

...but that's just me. Bring on Maravilla.

"Michel said he is not overly concerned with Lemieux's lack of rounds because the fighter gets excellent rounds training in the gym, where he spars with light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (whom Michel also promotes).

Michel and Anber are mapping out Lemieux's 2011. They figure he will be ready for a title fight shortly."
Maravilla would slaughter Lemieux, that is not a fight David's people should push him into.
SportsLeader is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #57
drozzy
AERE
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsLeader View Post
Maravilla would slaughter Lemieux, that is not a fight David's people should push him into.
From (almost) everyone's standpoint, that's the consensus. Maybe Russ Anber noticed something in Martinez that would benefit David's style, who knows.

I'd be disappointed to see him fight for a vacant WBC belt... he's got one or two other fights to go after he gets past Rubio, then a title fight, the way I see it.

Maravilla appears to be ultra fast... and David never had to chase someone nearly as fast he is, let alone cut the ring throughout several rounds just to get some shots in. If David were to prove himself against a top 10 MW that can move with the best of them, I'd give him a fair chance against Sergio.
drozzy is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #58
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Боксёр View Post
I feel sorry for POTY 2010 ... might as well take 2011 off ...
That's a great idea Boxer! Send the poor victim to Dr. Shaw Hi and he'll handle the paperwork.

BTW I'm pretty sure the unfortunate will be Saul Alvarez, he came out of the woods bigtime this year (just like Lemieux). But if the award is about the progress of a given prospect over the past 12 months, I think James DeGale should take it as I don't think Canelo advanced as much as Chunky did in 2010. DeGale put many amateurish things behind, slaps less, commits more, his movement, timing and accuracy improved significantly and picked up ring solid IQ in the process. The Smith fight was a great showcase of the positive (handspeed, punch variety, inside game, athleticism) and the negative (too much bending the rules, some dirty stuff). I think all that comes from visiting Floyd Mayweather last year and watching up close how incredibly hard Jr. trains.

But Rafael will choose Canelo, I'm sure, so you can get your money ready for Senchenko!
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #59
saul_ir34
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 675

If you say Canelo Dan I will punch you!!! Right in the mouth...
saul_ir34 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #60
Big_Bill_Bronzy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: The Prospect of the Year Curse struck down again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus View Post
Dan Rafael is a great reporter, but a horrible judge of talent, and I don't agree with the way he scores fights either.
Big_Bill_Bronzy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum