Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #16
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pep vs Marciano. Humor me. How long does Pep last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Boy, you've really taken that to heart.
Kurgan and I have been joking about it since ESB's own paradigm shift back in the ancient days of Revolver's arrival.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #17
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer
Kurgan and I have been joking about it since ESB's own paradigm shift back in the ancient days of Revolver's arrival.

I see.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #18
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

They would need to bring a pint sized coffin (casket if you're American) to ring side.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #19
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Mariano only has to hit Pep on the arm or the hip to score a TKO. Are you serious? Any shot at all and Pep will have to call it a night, the man is a feather.

In order to survive the first round, Pep has to not get hit at all. And, without wishing to sound dramatic, there is an outside chance Pep could be killed if Marciano is taking it seriously.
Pep might be a feather but that dose not mean that he will shatter like glass when Marciano hits him. A lot of heavyweights have sparred with a lightweight to improve their speed.

Pep will be faster and harder to land on even than guys like Ezzard Charles. He will also wish to not get hit which will mean that he will make it as hard as he possibly can to land on him.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #20
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Pep might be a feather but that dose not mean that he will shatter like glass when Marciano hits him. A lot of heavyweights have sparred with a lightweight to improve their speed.

Pep will be faster and harder to land on even than guys like Ezzard Charles. He will also wish to not get hit which will mean that he will make it as hard as he possibly can to land on him.
Even allowing for all of that, we are talking of one of the hardest hitting champs of all time, and possibly the busiest lineal champ of all time. Pep was wonderfully succesful at not being hit. Perhaps he has no peer where this discilpline is concerned. But that is when he is in with a fighter who is trying to score clean punches for KO's or points. A jab to the face, a hook to the liver.

If Marciano hits Pep as hard as he can on his guard, it might break Pep's wrist. He just doesn't have the mass or density to displace that much force.

Consider this - Marciano is in with Pep and they are fighting for $1m dollars. The fight is one roung long and Marciano has to stop Pep for the million, Pep just has to survive.

Who do you pick to win the million?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #21
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Even allowing for all of that, we are talking of one of the hardest hitting champs of all time, and possibly the busiest lineal champ of all time. Pep was wonderfully succesful at not being hit. Perhaps he has no peer where this discilpline is concerned. But that is when he is in with a fighter who is trying to score clean punches for KO's or points. A jab to the face, a hook to the liver.

If Marciano hits Pep as hard as he can on his guard, it might break Pep's wrist. He just doesn't have the mass or density to displace that much force.

Consider this - Marciano is in with Pep and they are fighting for $1m dollars. The fight is one roung long and Marciano has to stop Pep for the million, Pep just has to survive.

Who do you pick to win the million?
I would pick Pep in that scenario. If you offered Marciano a million dollars to put Michael Grant away in one round it would be a much easier asignment.

Heavyweights tangling with lightweights in NCs was not unknown at the turn of the century. Jack Blackburn fought an exhibition with Jack Johnson in which he bloodied his nose and Jack Johnson was unable to catch him and punish him. Sure Pep is in trouble when he is hit cleanly but that is easier said than done.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #22
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
I would pick Pep in that scenario. If you offered Marciano a million dollars to put Michael Grant away in one round it would be a much easier asignment.

I think that the only way for this to happen is if Marciano fails to hit Pep at all in the round. At all. Against an opponenet who cannot hurt him.

If Marciano headhunts, possible. If he goes for arms, body, anything at all then I think a minute is not an unreasonable estimate.

I'd say the chances of Pep getting out of the round and being killed are about one and the same.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #23
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think that the only way for this to happen is if Marciano fails to hit Pep at all in the round. At all. Against an opponenet who cannot hurt him.

If Marciano headhunts, possible. If he goes for arms, body, anything at all then I think a minute is not an unreasonable estimate.

I'd say the chances of Pep getting out of the round and being killed are about one and the same.
What exactly is a clean hit?

If Marciano goes for Peps arm he will wing it a couple of times before he lands a clean shot on it?

If he lands on the body with cumulative shots what are the chances of one hitting the solar plexus?

If he dose land then Pep will be running away backwards at the time.

I think it would depend on Marciano's ability to cut the ring and Pep might wrigle out of a couple of corners before he was caught.

Of course this is a fairly sadistic thread. We are esentialy discussing how long Pep can fend off being beaten into a heap of smashed offle.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #24
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Marciano will not hit Pep at all in 15, 50 100 rounds, becuase Marciano is so dang slow.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #25
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 917

From what I've seen of Marciano he lacks fundimenyals but he has fast hands. The fight would last as long as Pep dosn't get hit, but when he dose probbly in the first round the fight will end. Pep was an amazing defecive boxer. However Marciano's hand speed is under ratted and lost in his crude style. Also tsake in to concideration Marciano's power and the size difrence. Pep will need an Iorn chin to last against Marciano.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #26
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
What exactly is a clean hit?
A properly executed punch that lands full, glove to target.

Let's say for the sake of it that Marciano hits Pep with a full blown shot just above and in front of (nearer to Rocky) Pep's left Kidney? You think Pep goes down, right?

Quote:
If Marciano goes for Peps arm he will wing it a couple of times before he lands a clean shot on it?
Undoubtedly. I wouldn't advocate Rocky targeting Willie's arms specifically - my point is he really doesn't have to worry about targeting in any normal sense. Anything above the waste will do for a start (and probably a finish).

Quote:
If he lands on the body with cumulative shots what are the chances of one hitting the solar plexus?
Statistically I don't know! What are the chances he'd need culmative shots? Or do you envisage a situation where Pep is paralysed by Rocky's body shots and cannot collapse . That is horrible.

I've read about Louis and Liston doing that to full blown heavyweights of course.

Quote:
If he dose land then Pep will be running away backwards at the time.
Or sideways - that's where danger of death comes in. Imagine Pep sidestepping and throwing something southpaw and Rocky happens to catch him - mostly by mistake - between his skull and his jaw with the punch that dropped Walcott in one?

Quote:
Of course this is a fairly sadistic thread. We are esentialy discussing how long Pep can fend off being beaten into a heap of smashed offle.
Offle.

Broken arm broken ribs or broken head I guess.

I think that Pep would have a chane to last against Liston, Louis, Johnson, and maybe even Lewis (is it in the rules that he can dart between his opponents legs?) but not Rocky. Too busy and everything he throws with either mit is hard.

How different do you think Rocky would look with literally no fear of being hit?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #27
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Humor me.

Pep would win 15 rounds without hitting or gettin hit.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #28
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Well?
Pep W15 Marciano. Pep could dodge punches within 6 inches of standing near his opponents. The Rock would't be able to catch him. He'd land a few shots which would hurt Willie like hell, but I don't necessarily think that it'd be a one punch knockout.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #29
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

It actually become impossible to tell who's joking and who's serious...
Old 09-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #30
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
It actually become impossible to tell who's joking and who's serious...
Well let me make the boundaries a bit more clear:

James Quick Tillis W15 Rocky Marciano.
mr. magoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum