Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000
Default Re: John Conteh vs. Willie Pastrano

i think that Pastrano might win a decision.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think that an in shape Pastrano outpoints Conteh, who I think is a very, very good fighter, by using the same strategy he used against Harold Johnson, and that's to simply refuse to lead, keep moving and scoring with that fast left jab...Conteh would not be used to a guy like Pastrano. John was best against more aggresive type guys who did the leading, like Yaqui Lopez and Jorge Ahumada did. Conteh was very good, and I'm only picking Willie to win if he showed the same form as in his title winning bout against Johnson.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 07-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Two of the most skilled LHW stylists I've ever seen. Pastrano was a larger fighter in the Pep/Dupas mold, while Conteh was a smooth boxer-puncher in the Napoles mold. I could see Pastrano getting the better of the bout were he to force Conteh to lead throughout (if perhaps Conteh was limited to boxing with the left as he was at times during his career, such as against Yaqui Lopez), provided Conteh didn't turn up the pressure and get to work on Pastrano in close. Conteh was much better at that than Johnson was. I think Conteh at his best could've taken it, though it would've been an excellent technical affair.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think if Willie starts to Slip into that Jab and move Grove, and Conteh becomes a Little Frustrated, Then Willie had better watch out, Conteh was very quick into the attack mode, and when Conteh cut loose he threw the kitchen sink in as well, i think he would have knocked Willie off kilter, and perhaps careless headwork would leave Willie and his camp with legitimate complaint ? a frustrated conteh was a dangerous conteh.
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

Pick em IMO.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Two of the most skilled LHW stylists I've ever seen. Pastrano was a larger fighter in the Pep/Dupas mold, while Conteh was a smooth boxer-puncher in the Napoles mold. I could see Pastrano getting the better of the bout were he to force Conteh to lead throughout (if perhaps Conteh was limited to boxing with the left as he was at times during his career, such as against Yaqui Lopez), provided Conteh didn't turn up the pressure and get to work on Pastrano in close. Conteh was much better at that than Johnson was. I think Conteh at his best could've taken it, though it would've been an excellent technical affair.
Quality post.

I think Conteh can squeek out a decision. In a series of 4 they'd win two each
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
i think that Pastrano might win a decision.
Same here. I think he was a bit quicker and slicker, although Conteh was probably the harder hitter. I give Willie a slight edge here.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

If Willie had been a bit more dedicated in his training, and fought every bout with the same purity of purpose that he displayed against Harold Johnson, never mind that it was a close, disputed decision, he would have basically covered himself in glory...he was a real purist stylewise, and had a great chin, great legs, and could "tattoo his name and address" on an opponents face...he would have topped Conteh, as good as he was, boxing-wise, and it would have been Conteh's task to catch and impose his will on Pastrano, which was easier said than done when, like I say, he was in top shape. Pastrano influenced Muhammad Ali with his speedy footwork and defensiveness, and he had extremely fast hands and the previously mentioned chin, but he also had an absolute terror of being hit, because that messed up his stuff with the ladies, which was as important, if not more so than his boxing career.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
GREAT description of Pastrano's and Conteh's styles Pea..right on the money....what great stock to draw upon, with Pep/Dupas and Napoles.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #11
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
If Willie had been a bit more dedicated in his training, and fought every bout with the same purity of purpose that he displayed against Harold Johnson, never mind that it was a close, disputed decision, he would have basically covered himself in glory...he was a real purist stylewise, and had a great chin, great legs, and could "tattoo his name and address" on an opponents face...he would have topped Conteh, as good as he was, boxing-wise, and it would have been Conteh's task to catch and impose his will on Pastrano, which was easier said than done when, like I say, he was in top shape. Pastrano influenced Muhammad Ali with his speedy footwork and defensiveness, and he had extremely fast hands and the previously mentioned chin, but he also had an absolute terror of being hit, because that messed up his stuff with the ladies, which was as important, if not more so than his boxing career.
He and Conteh had at least some common ground then didn't they? The randy old bastards.

Interesting bout, I'll get back to you.......
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum