Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

 
  


View Poll Results: Joe Louis vs Rocky Marciano
Joe Louis by KO 10 28.57%
Rocky Marciano by KO 16 45.71%
Joe Louis by Decision 9 25.71%
Rocky Marciano by Decision 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #211
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Muirthemne
Posts: 10,564
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

WTF is up with the stars in the middle of a word ???

If some words need censoring for God knows what reason, better software could be utilized so as not to have ad******g appear in the middle of a sentence.

J-u-s-t-i-n is offensive to some ?

What does it even mean ?
cuchulain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #212
Tuaman
Return Of The Terminator
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
This talk of tua beating box atg makes me sick. By the way people talk you'd think he was an atg himself, not a fringe contender.
Tua is seriously underrated on this site. I understand why, to a degree. He never lived up to his potential.

But sometimes it doesn't matter if someone is an ATG or not. If someone has the style to beat you, then they have the style to beat you. Tua has the punch to hurt Joe Louis. Joe could hurt Tua, too. But like I said, I'd give most swarmers a chance against Joe. He fought flat footed, and it would be easy to trap him against the ropes and batter him. I'd pick Dempsey, Frazier and Tyson to do the same to him. Louis was decked by many lesser punchers than Tua, but none of them were good finishers. Someone like Tua, Tyson or Dempsey would finish him off once they had him hurt.

Riddick Bowe isn't ranked in my top ten, but the guy had Holyfield's number. Ken Norton isn't ranked high on my list eitheir, but he gave Ali three tough fights, simply because he had a great counter jab.

There are some guys who were not all time greats, but would be potentially dangerous to many of the former champions. For example, Emmanuel Steward said that Shannon Briggs would be a threat to any heavyweight champion in history. I believe that. It doesn't mean that Shannon will win the fight, but he'd give them something to think about, and you can't take him lightly. You saw how he rocked Lennox Lewis in the first round. David Tua is also a threat to anyone. Underrate him and you'll be on the canvas looking up at the lights. The kid had dynamite power.
Tuaman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #213
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,745
vCash: 330
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuaman View Post
Tua is seriously underrated on this site. I understand why, to a degree. He never lived up to his potential.

But sometimes it doesn't matter if someone is an ATG or not. If someone has the style to beat you, then they have the style to beat you. Tua has the punch to hurt Joe Louis. Joe could hurt Tua, too. But like I said, I'd give most swarmers a chance against Joe. He fought flat footed, and it would be easy to trap him against the ropes and batter him. I'd pick Dempsey, Frazier and Tyson to do the same to him. Louis was decked by many lesser punchers than Tua, but none of them were good finishers. Someone like Tua, Tyson or Dempsey would finish him off once they had him hurt.

Riddick Bowe isn't ranked in my top ten, but the guy had Holyfield's number. Ken Norton isn't ranked high on my list eitheir, but he gave Ali three tough fights, simply because he had a great counter jab.

There are some guys who were not all time greats, but would be potentially dangerous to many of the former champions. For example, Emmanuel Steward said that Shannon Briggs would be a threat to any heavyweight champion in history. I believe that. It doesn't mean that Shannon will win the fight, but he'd give them something to think about, and you can't take him lightly. You saw how he rocked Lennox Lewis in the first round. David Tua is also a threat to anyone. Underrate him and you'll be on the canvas looking up at the lights. The kid had dynamite power.
On the flipside i'd argue tua is seriously overated on this forum. He's spent the last decade outside the top twenty. Tua doesn't have the style to beat louis imo. He doesn't even have the style to finish the fight.

As for briggs, his power is a myth imo.

Tua has boxed through both a golden era and a weak era he came up short throughout both.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #214
Hydraulix
Left Hook From Hell..
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 879
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuaman View Post
David Tua is also a threat to anyone. Underrate him and you'll be on the canvas looking up at the lights. The kid had dynamite power.
Agreed. Tua has the punch to end it versus Louis. I feel that Joe Louis would likely beat Sonny Liston, but it wouldn't surprise me if Liston knocked him out.

Also, who expected Buster Douglas to beat Tyson? Who expected Leon Spinks to beat Ali? Things like that happen when you take fighters lightly. David Tua stopping Joe Louis is more than possible.

But back to this thread, I feel that Rocky would beat Joe Louis anyway. Like you said, swarming fighters would maul him against the ropes and not give him the timing or punching room he needed to counter effectively. I think Jack Dempsey would beat him for the same reasons Rocky would.
Hydraulix is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #215
tommythomas3
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Not gonna tell
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
Surprised Marciano was leading the poll here.

At the same time, I love to read more thoughts about this fight.
He is not leading. Louis by decision and KO are combined more than Rocky by KO and no one says Rocky by decision. Louis is leading, but if you only read at KO then Rocky is leading.

BTW I think Joe wins. He would bust up Marciano and stop him on his feet. Rocky was dropped twice against light heavyweights. Imagine what a BIG pounding heavy could do with him.
tommythomas3 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #216
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,302
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Prime Louis takes him IMO, but not an easy night and it would be Louis' best victory.
Seamus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #217
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,255
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchants ghost View Post
Louis had some struggles with lesser fighters .
Part of that is because Louis gave the lesser fighters a ridiculous number of chances.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #218
Wass1985
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Yorkshire.
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
Louis had more power than Marciano and was far more precise with his punches. I think Louis would exploit every defense lap that Rocky had and early. This fight would not last long IMO.
Jersey Joe Walcott said Marciano hit harder, I think over 15 rounds Rocky would eventually wear him down and stop him. Joe would hurt him and probably drop him but Marciano was relentless.
Wass1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #219
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: All up in Djibouti
Posts: 11,223
vCash: 79
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

It's a tough one to call; even if I'd favor guys over Marciano, it's impossible to rule out an upset because he'd have a conditioning advantage over anyone he'd hypothetically get matched against, and that's not a small X-factor to take in to consideration.

In Louis' case, Marciano matches up well from a stylistic standpoint because of how straight up and down Joe fought and his vulnerability to the right hand. It's a toss-up between Louis UD or Marciano KO for me.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #220
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,816
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

No need to convince anybody, cause most people believe what they want to believe, BUT
when Rocky Marciano [whom I saw ringside] was champion, almost NO boxing writer of that time thought that the heavy hitting Marciano who MISSED half his punches, had a
prayer against the faster uncanny accuracy of Joe Louis's devastating punches...
Of course every puncher has a chance, but Marciano whom I loved as a brave
blockbusting piece of granite, would be cut to pieces by the greatest combination puncher who ever lived...Joe Louis had some trouble with "movers", but he seldom missed a punch andaside from the first Schmeling fight until he was past his prime
no slower puncher than he beats him, especially a fighter who missed his target half the time...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #221
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
No need to convince anybody, cause most people believe what they want to believe, BUT
when Rocky Marciano [whom I saw ringside] was champion, almost NO boxing writer of that time thought that the heavy hitting Marciano who MISSED half his punches, had a
prayer against the faster uncanny accuracy of Joe Louis's devastating punches...
Of course every puncher has a chance, but Marciano whom I loved as a brave
blockbusting piece of granite, would be cut to pieces by the greatest combination puncher who ever lived...Joe Louis had some trouble with "movers", but he seldom missed a punch andaside from the first Schmeling fight until he was past his prime
no slower puncher than he beats him, especially a fighter who missed his target half the time...
Prime for Prime The Rock does have his hands full, and probably gets beat...What Marciano fight were you ringside for B!?...And what year?
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #222
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulix View Post
Agreed. Tua has the punch to end it versus Louis. I feel that Joe Louis would likely beat Sonny Liston, but it wouldn't surprise me if Liston knocked him out.

Also, who expected Buster Douglas to beat Tyson? Who expected Leon Spinks to beat Ali? Things like that happen when you take fighters lightly. David Tua stopping Joe Louis is more than possible.

But back to this thread, I feel that Rocky would beat Joe Louis anyway. Like you said, swarming fighters would maul him against the ropes and not give him the timing or punching room he needed to counter effectively. I think Jack Dempsey would beat him for the same reasons Rocky would.

No freakin way Dempsey beats Louis or Marciano!!..Joe Louis "boxer" vs Demp "brawler"..Joe would have him outa there pretty fast.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #223
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,255
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

The most important question is, who cares?

Ultimately, we will never know who would win.

We do know that Joe Louis’s resume is unsurpassed at heavyweight, with the arguable exception of Muhammad Ali.

That is always going to be the bottom line!
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #224
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
The most important question is, who cares?

Ultimately, we will never know who would win.

We do know that Joe Louisís resume is unsurpassed at heavyweight, with the arguable exception of Muhammad Ali.

That is always going to be the bottom line!
Very well said!!..Try to put it to rest right!
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #225
Wass1985
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Yorkshire.
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
The most important question is, who cares?

Ultimately, we will never know who would win.

We do know that Joe Louisís resume is unsurpassed at heavyweight, with the arguable exception of Muhammad Ali.

That is always going to be the bottom line!
Isn't Evander Holyfield up there?
Wass1985 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013