Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Joe Louis vs Rocky Marciano
Joe Louis by KO 10 28.57%
Rocky Marciano by KO 16 45.71%
Joe Louis by Decision 9 25.71%
Rocky Marciano by Decision 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
Louis had more power than Marciano and was far more precise with his punches. I think Louis would exploit every defense lap that Rocky had and early. This fight would not last long IMO.

Not sure on the power thing, Yeah Louis had speed and more precise in his punchings. but guys that been nail by BOTH louis and Marciano has said that Rocky hit harder.

Joe Walcott said punch for punch, Rocky was the harder hitter.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #17
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere gone off dat lean!
Posts: 945
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post
Not sure on the power thing, Yeah Louis had speed and more precise in his punchings. but guys that been nail by BOTH louis and Marciano has said that Rocky hit harder.

Joe Walcott said punch for punch, Rocky was the harder hitter.
Not shocking that Walcott would say that. He was caught by one of the worst counter punches in history. I personally, think that Louis was a harder puncher. Marciano IMO was overall, an accumulation hitter. Louis scored the deadlier knockouts, and against better opponents than Rocky.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #18
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,276
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

I think Louis was the greater Heavyweight and a prime Joe would trade with the Rock carefully but its still a tough fight of styles for Joe. Louis did not like to be crowded and Marciano would do it. With a prime Louis Rocky would have to walk into the best Combo Power puncher ever...Louis was the master of the 6 piece combo....Still if anyone could do it it was Rocky....I see a late stop in this fight 10-15...To me Louis is # 1 but Rocky may have had the right style...Rocky could be hit and take a shot but he also could make you miss a lot and throw and expend a lot of energy.....This is a tough call but a battle of attrition or a kill or be killed fight
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #19
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Very difficult to say for me, Marciano can definitely be caught by Louis coming in, needless to say actually, Louis can hit him with all kinds. But Marciano isnt just walking into shots like some idiot, not to say he has a good defence, but he is very awakward, and conctantly hits you. I actually rate Marciano high in terms of head to head ability (given a reasonable size match-up), what the hell are you supposed to do against him? It would be hell on earth even for an opponent with a very high level of skill. Not unbeatable though probably.

I really find it hard to decide.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #20
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

I've just rewatched their actual fight Louis looks so old and slow and tired. The killer instinct isnt there, opportunities where in the past he may unload viscous combinations he throws nothing

Louis had success when they fought in the 3rd and 4th rounds with his jab, which was much slower and he had an injured left hand so couldnt throw it as hard. It edged him the 3rd and his 4th round was very impressive. In his prime though his fast mid-close range combinations would have really been telling but in his old age he couldnt get these off. He also had allot of success with his uppercuts and short range hooks, in his prime he would get these off far more accurately and do more damage with them.

Louis seemed to fade into the 5th, but edged that round with better boxing and counter punching

The last 2 rounds Marciano can feel Louis fading imo and gets close to unload his best punches, Louis really looks a shadow but it is a an awesome arsenal Rocky unloads.

What we learn from this fight, Louis has the better boxer skills but has lost allot from what he once was. Marciano was missing like an amateur at times and he'd be really bust up by counters if that was a prime Louis. What is not mentioned is Marciano had some problems with Louis's skill and lost 3rounds against an old, much slower man who's reactions were shot. No on mentions Marciano had problems with the Louis jab or with the Louis uppercut.

Prime for prime the key difference is Louis would have the speed, timing, accuracy and sharpness to catch Marciano flush with his best dynamite punches. That means he's landing first, punnishing errors and countering mistakes. He's also going to up his workrate and movement. Marcianos workrate, balance and underrated skills may cause problems and Rocky may make Louis work for a decision but equally Louis might even make stopping Rocky look easy
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

But the Marciano that fought Louis was not prime Marciano.

I think Rocky improve a lot by 53 than 51, so you cant relly judge how a prime match up would be.

Also Louis would not be moving away, he would be stalking Marciano, So a prime match up would not be Marciano chaseing Louis imo.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #22
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
Not shocking that Walcott would say that. He was caught by one of the worst counter punches in history. I personally, think that Louis was a harder puncher. Marciano IMO was overall, an accumulation hitter. Louis scored the deadlier knockouts, and against better opponents than Rocky.
Think there about even, in comp.

I mean is Walcott or Charles any worse than the Buddy Baers, Max Baers, Jack Sharkeys and Primo Carneras??
Louis didnt beat better guys, for the most part they were about even.

Not sure if Louis scored more deadlier knockouts, He never left a foe in the shape Rocky left poor Vingo.

And its not just Walcott, people that fought them BOTH said the Rock hit harder with 1 punch than Louis did with 5.

Louis is the better finisher, but he is NOT the power puncher that Marciano is punch for punch. Louis hardly if ever scored a one punch knockout, Outside of Braddock.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #23
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,396
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
Not shocking that Walcott would say that. He was caught by one of the worst counter punches in history. I personally, think that Louis was a harder puncher. Marciano IMO was overall, an accumulation hitter. Louis scored the deadlier knockouts, and against better opponents than Rocky.
This is just untrue. Rocky's sparring partner was also a sparring partner for Joe Louis. He said Rocky hit as hard with 1 punch than Joe did with 4.

This is what Jersey Joe Walcott said

Jersey Joe Walcott, who lost his title to Marciano in a 13th round KO and a rematch in a 1st round KO, was asked who hit harder, Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano. "Joe could take you out with combinations...Marciano was a one-punch artist. He threw every punch like you throw a baseball, as hard as he could. I have to say, with all respect to Joe, Marciano hit harder."

Marciano could catch you with one punch and just end it. Louis could knock you out with a deadly combination - in terms of power Marciano had the edge... however Joe Louis was the better puncher. Louis was more precise a puncher, but one perfectly landed blow would be more deadly for the Rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Very difficult to say for me, Marciano can definitely be caught by Louis coming in, needless to say actually, Louis can hit him with all kinds. But Marciano isnt just walking into shots like some idiot, not to say he has a good defence, but he is very awakward, and conctantly hits you. I actually rate Marciano high in terms of head to head ability (given a reasonable size match-up), what the hell are you supposed to do against him? It would be hell on earth even for an opponent with a very high level of skill. Not unbeatable though probably.

I really find it hard to decide.
Very very well said. I'm glad that ESB seems to think this is a very intense close hard to call fight. I think Louis eating Rocky up easy in his prime is sort of a bitter sentiment for the fact that Rocky beat him. Ultimately, in a 15 round fight it would be hell for both to win. Joe Louis had tons of respect for Rocky, as Rocky did for Joe. They had a pretty good relationship once they were both retired.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,529
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Louis would have destroyed him ... cut him to pieces and knocked him out within eight rounds ...
he grant is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #25
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,396
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Louis would have destroyed him ... cut him to pieces and knocked him out within eight rounds ...
Louis didn't seem to think so.

Rocky cuts but I don't think he cuts as bad as people think. People forget it was the elbow that did his nose like that against Charles and he was never in serious danger in any other case because of a cut. Certainly he was no Henry Cooper in this regard.

Louis destroys and cuts him to pieces and knocks him out in 8 rounds but not Arturo Godoy who fought similarly but was no Rocky Marciano?
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #26
rm36
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Land of Perma-ban
Posts: 666
vCash: 166
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

It could go either way. Rocky's going to crowd Louis, and throw bombs, but Joe's going to throw straighter punches getting to him first. We all know Rock had a great chin, but those very short punches of Louis are what give him the edge. I agree with the assessment that Louis seems to dislike fighters who get very close. But, one thing I've noticed from those fights is that Godoy throws short, tight punches. It's not always the case, but when Rock swings for the fences, he does leave openings. I also think Godoy's attempts to get at Louis were a bit more clever than Rocky's were. Godoy uses a crouch to become a smaller target. I see Rocky fighting out of a crouch, but he seems to be a good deal more upright than Godoy coming towards a fighter. Louis has a better target to tee off on with Rocky. I think that may make the difference over the rounds.

I think this could be a decision fight, surprising as it may seem.
rm36 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #27
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post



Very very well said. I'm glad that ESB seems to think this is a very intense close hard to call fight. I think Louis eating Rocky up easy in his prime is sort of a bitter sentiment for the fact that Rocky beat him. Ultimately, in a 15 round fight it would be hell for both to win. Joe Louis had tons of respect for Rocky, as Rocky did for Joe. They had a pretty good relationship once they were both retired.
Thanks mate
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
Louis didn't seem to think so.

Rocky cuts but I don't think he cuts as bad as people think. People forget it was the elbow that did his nose like that against Charles and he was never in serious danger in any other case because of a cut. Certainly he was no Henry Cooper in this regard.

Louis destroys and cuts him to pieces and knocks him out in 8 rounds but not Arturo Godoy who fought similarly but was no Rocky Marciano?
Pete, how many times have you watched the Godoy rematch? Arturo didn't take a backwards step in that one, but got ripped apart anyway.

Granted, Godoy was no Marciano, but when I watch how Walcott opened his title defense against Rocky, then Louis-Godoy II, then Marciano-Louis, I can see Rocky getting carved up by a youthful Joe in eight rounds, especially with Blackburn in his corner.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #29
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,396
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
Pete, how many times have you watched the Godoy rematch? Arturo didn't take a backwards step in that one, but got ripped apart anyway.

Granted, Godoy was no Marciano, but when I watch how Walcott opened his title defense against Rocky, then Louis-Godoy II, then Marciano-Louis, I can see Rocky getting carved up by a youthful Joe in eight rounds, especially with Blackburn in his corner.
Yes, Louis adjusted in the rematch. He always adjust and puts up a better performance and brings a better gameplan. Louis was a master at this. Maybe out of 2 fights Louis wins 1, but that's not what I'm asking.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #30
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: March for Revenge
Posts: 5,975
vCash: 1887
Default Re: Prime Joe Louis Beats Rocky Marciano --- Convince Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post
But the Marciano that fought Louis was not prime Marciano.
Oh come on.

He was a hell of a lot closer to his prime than Louis was to his. Rocky was young, hungry and undefeated.
Louis was an old man scratching around for motivation and a payday.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013