boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Ray Robinson .Vs. Roberto Duran @ 147.

How would the Duran of Montreal have done against Sugar Ray Robinson at 147? 15 Rounds.
la-califa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Ray Robinson .Vs. Roberto Duran @ 147.

He'd have a live chance at an upset.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Robinson would win in my opinion, we all know how good Duran was that night, Robinson.

I'd elaborate but i feel i should save my energy seen as though me and you are about to engage in some lengthy posting in the hypothetical match-up thread!
teeto is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
stevebhoy87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This is a fight i've been thinking about quite a lot recently actually, i think the duran of that fight could cause robinson a lot of trouble, possible more trouble than any other welter in history (big claim but i fell fairly confident that he would deal with leonard, hearns and napoles).

Duran will look to take this fight into the one place that i fell robinson is slightly less comfortable, only hearns at welter would i give any advantage over him if a fight was at long range and if robinson was at sort of mid range, where he could consitantly let go with his barrage of power punches and beautiful combinations i 'd favour no one to beat him, however duran will not look to fight him there he will try and take this in close.

Now its not easy to get inside ray, with his power and handspeed is in fact very difficult, but duran has a great chin and an amazing ability to slip punches that in my opinion will get him inside, and once inside he is a better fighter there than robinson is,he is also physically stronger IMO and would get the better of inside exchanges

I see this fight being very close for the 1st 8-10 rounds with duran being slightly ahead at this point, after that when robinson realisise he is not having it all his way by fighting with duran i see him changing his style much like he was suppose to have done in gavilan 2 and start to use more lateral movement, wok behind the jab, land combinations and then move again.

Once robinson gets into this mode even montreal duran would struggle, he'd be eating to many shots shots and robinson power, accuracy and also footwork to get out of trouble whn duran managed to get inside where better than leonards IMO, robinson would fight with duran early and then change his style a i dont see it being totally effective and either TKO duran late or UD him
stevebhoy87 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict

Duran would have a live chance with anybody at 147. Still though, like Hearns, Robinson would win......
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

I agree that Montreal Duran is a live underdog. I'd go further, that version of Duran is one of the most formidable fighters who ever lived.

Robinson exceeds Leonard though, and that version of Duran barely got by Leonard. Robinson hits harder, had comparable speed, and had more experience.

Robinson, close UD, perhaps a split.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

After a great battle, Robinson by comfortable UD or late stoppage.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la-califa View Post
How would the Duran of Montreal have done against Sugar Ray Robinson at 147? 15 Rounds.
He`d put up a decent fight, not as good a fight as he gave Leonard but a good one none the less... he`d ultimately lose tho, Robinson was a better fighter regardless of size, he might stop Duran but my money says clear UD with Roberto being hurt on 2 or 3 occassions.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

He would have lost a decision in a very competitive fight ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I like the Duran of Montreal to win a razor decision.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I think vs Duran, Robinson would be a his best, still a differcult fight but SRR was the bigger welter and excelled at that weight.....SSR closr UD 115-113
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #12
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ungurean View Post
I like the Duran of Montreal to win a razor decision.
You think Montreal Duran was the greatest fighter of all time ?

He is a natural LWT going against the best p4p fighter in boxing history in that fighters prime yrs & prime weight class.

If he beat him, he would surely be the greatest bar none... he wouldnt beat Robinson IMHO.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
AussieMauler
Relative Unknown
ESB Senior Member

Hey guys i love Duran and i dont post much in the classics

But every time a "classic" match up is brought up with Duran anyone at welter or above i just feel like he didnt have the size.

I know he fought as high as 170 (correct me if i am wrong i am not a huge historian) but at 5'6 ,5'7 you start to give up a bit too much at welter and above even though he was relentless.

At 5'10 or 5'11 Robinson is just too much. we are not talking about an average welter or middle. we are talking a supreme one with significant physical advantage
AussieMauler is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieMauler View Post
Hey guys i love Duran and i dont post much in the classics

But every time a "classic" match up is brought up with Duran anyone at welter or above i just feel like he didnt have the size.

I know he fought as high as 170 (correct me if i am wrong i am not a huge historian) but at 5'6 ,5'7 you start to give up a bit too much at welter and above even though he was relentless.

At 5'10 or 5'11 Robinson is just too much. we are not talking about an average welter or middle. we are talking a supreme one with significant physical advantage
Welcome to Classic....

When Robinson was in his heyday there was one critique that you heard back there in the 40s... he was not considered to be very physically strong. He was tall, yes, but he was also lean. The bullish Duran, rest assured, would be the stronger man here. At 147 his stature wasn't so much that it would be a huge disadvantage. He knew how to get inside and his legs were good -no, they were excellent in Montreal.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
AussieMauler
Relative Unknown
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
Welcome to Classic....

When Robinson was in his heyday there was one critique that you heard back there in the 40s... he was not considered to be very physically strong. He was tall, yes, but he was also lean. The bullish Duran, rest assured, would be the stronger man here. At 147 his stature wasn't so much that it would be a huge disadvantage. He knew how to get inside and his legs were good -no, they were excellent in Montreal.
I guess i let the mugging at the hands of Hearns dictate a little bit on my thinking. But then again that was 154, and Hearns was somewhat of a beast.
AussieMauler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum