Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #31
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Ray Robinson .Vs. Roberto Duran @ 147.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Fancy posting in my Whittkaker thread? Sure you could make a good insight.
If I remember I'll post a pretty long one later
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #32
DINAMITA
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I haven't seen any footage of Robinson at 147, only at 160. However, I feel confident that the Duran of the Brawl could hold his own against any welterweight in history and take it to the wire. Based on the footage of Robinson I have seen at mw, I think Duran would make it very close. Robinson has the skill off the back foot and the power to hurt Duran, but by the same token Duran had the fire and the inside skills to force the fight and make it close, competitive and thrilling.
DINAMITA is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #33
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

I think Robinson wins this from reasons outlined above but its a great fight it really is.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #34
stevebhoy87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAMITA View Post
I haven't seen any footage of Robinson at 147, only at 160. However, I feel confident that the Duran of the Brawl could hold his own against any welterweight in history and take it to the wire. Based on the footage of Robinson I have seen at mw, I think Duran would make it very close. Robinson has the skill off the back foot and the power to hurt Duran, but by the same token Duran had the fire and the inside skills to force the fight and make it close, competitive and thrilling.
Here's 10 minutes of footage of his welterweight title fight against bernard docusen, what impresses me is how well robinson is slipping punches at times, of course his combinations and putting everything behind his punches is top quality, not the best quality of footage however

BORKED
stevebhoy87 is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #35
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
I think anyone who reckons Robinson could do a Hearns on a primed Duran knows very little about boxing. Casual fan at best.

Anyone who thinks Robinson would end up stopping Duran or beating him widely on points is overrating or underrating one of them.

Duran would have ran Robinson close or actually beaten him - I'd go with Robinson, but by a couple of rounds, and that's it.

Robinson, though considered the best ever by the majority of fans, and despite writing himself some ridiculous winning streaks in the '40s, was not unbeatable. It is visible to us on film that Duran, for a short period of time, was one of the premier welterweights - all time. You can say Leonard was inexperienced and less powerful than Robinson, but I'd bet that he was a tiny bit quicker and better defensively. Can you really imagine Robinson trading with Duran and coming off better? In some exchanges, but not consistently. Duran was fit and muscular at 147lbs, not overblown, while Robinson was vicious but skinny. And Duran's skills up close are perhaps the best ever. Robinson would likely be drawn into trade-offs in between his boxing, as that was his nature, and he'd get caught more than Leonard did. He'd fire back more too, so it'd be an even better fight.
Yeh I'd have 2 agree, It'd be another all time classic & i would'nt be suprised if it came up a split-decision with SSR pinching it by 1/2 rounds max

I've never bought into this Leonard crap about him being inexpearenced when he fought Duran, anyone that can find their way around a boxing master like Benitez as Leonard did now's what's what

I remember watching a Howard Cossell interview 2 weeks after the fight & Cossell got Leonard 2 spill his guts up 2 the fact that Duran had outboxed him, Leonard stated that he tried 2 use lateral movement but wherever he went Duran pre-empted & after the 2nd round when Leonard was caught by that counter that buckled his legs Leonard had 2 admit 2 Cossell that he decided 2 fight inside as it was safer than long range as he was suprised by Duran's speed ov hand

Leonard went onto explain his logic, being that if he could cut down Duran's leverage by closing the distance he thought he stood a better chance at KOing Duran in the later rounds as he was natually stronger/younger & trying 2 box from range was'nt the best option after the 2nd round as Duran had nullified every move 2 slip & slide he attempted

Cossell countered with " He just never gave you the time you expected did he Ray" Leonard replied in a low voice Yeh! Thats Correct

Cossell continued with "He nullified you did'nt he Ray" Leonard replied "Yes sir thats Correct"

Leonard finished the interview off by saying wherever Duran goes i'll follow him, Duran was on the TV link up & allready looked fat as a pig just 2 weeks after the fight so i think yer can see where Ricky Hatton gets it from seeing he's a Duran nut as well, the obvious being Hatton ai'nt no Duran
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #36
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
If I remember I'll post a pretty long one later
Just saw your reply Manassa, go on, long post time please!
teeto is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #37
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Robinson takes 9 out of 15 rounds over Duran in a thriller.And Roberto would feel the taste of the Canvas, for real.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #38
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
I think Robinson would win clearly myself. He's a better fighter on the inside and off the back foot than Leonard.
Leonard was better inside than Robinson.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #39
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 917

Robinson's tendency to stand and trade cost him in real life. I'd pick him to beat Duran, but it could cost him hear as well. If Robinson stays away he wins easily .
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #40
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

On my current list of great dream fights of all time well below the heavyweight division, and without including a Manny Pacquiao or Floyd "Money" Mayweather in it all for the moment until they either fight each other (probably next year by June, 2014) or retire altogether, this one right here; Sugar Ray Robinson vs Roberto Duran ranks #3 on my personal list of all time dream fights below the heavyweight division, right behind 1.)Sugar Ray Leonard vs Oscar De LaHoya & 2.)Sugar Ray Robinson vs Sugar Ray Leonard.

Sugar Ray Robinson, pound for pound the greatest fighter of all time against Manos De Piedras (to all spanish fans alike on this thread I hope I pronounced one that correctly)"Hands of Stone" Roberto Duran, pound for pound the greatest all around Latino fighter in history and no lower than 4th overall in the anals of history altogether. You just can't think of a better buzz to hype this one up with.

Roberto Duran in my opinion believe it or not had a more slightly crafty/polished style than some of the guys that fought Ray Robinson and actually beat him, albeit most of the time it would only be once before they all got beat in the rematches. Carmen Basillio, Randy Turpin, Gene Fullmer and Ralph "Tiger" Jones, who fought Ray only once and beat him by decision. I think that Duran brings a little more craftiness to the table in his fighting style/technique than some of these guys that Ray fought and he hits almost as hard as they do even though these aftermentioned fighters are naturally bigger than Duran. So with that being said there's no doubt in my mind that the June 20, 1980; Montreal version of Roberto Duran would definitely hang in there with Sugar Ray Robinson but that's as close as it would get. You have to remember that the greatest of Sugar Ray Robinson was at welterweight and up until early 1952 at middleweight with his sharp one sided 3rd round knockout of Rocky Graziano.

The end result in this one would be Sugar Ray Robinson by a convincing 15-round unanimous decision over Roberto Duran in what I said is ranked as my personal #3 of all time dream fights below the heavyweight division and would finish up with some huge PPV/CCT numbers to boot.
Nate 2011 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #41
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Duran has the skills to cause an upset but i dont see it happening
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #42
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

i think duran would win. peep this video if you like its nice!
That video was badass. Ive seen alot of Duran videos on youtube but that is probably the best. The display of skill really stands out. He was the best slugger/boxer that Ive ever seen. Robinson was the best boxer/puncher.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #43
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Duran UD 15. Duran will turn this into a maul just like montreal,and Robinson will oblige. People forget that in the early stages of the first Leonard fight Duran was waiting patiently for his opportunity (as was leonard.) and even at long range he was more than holding his own with leonard. This 147 duran was tremendously mobile and barely got hit with a jab,all the while stalking his man from long range. In round two it was obvious that duran negated Leonards size and speed differential simply by being so aware of the range and mixing his defense and offense seamlessly. Duran wins simply because not even Robinson could combine offense and defense like Duran. Duran still had another gear left in Montreal,he didnt even have to go full out in the later rounds because he had it in the bag. No welter in history is boxing that Roberto off the back foot,not even Whitaker. And only the speed and range of a 154 Hearns would cause trouble. Robinson is better than both of these granted,but his overall style is not conducive to beating this Duran.
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 AM   #44
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I could see Duran getting Robinson to bang with him. At the same time that could still turn out bad for Roberto.

Sugar Ray Robinson had dynamite in both hands. The greatest combination puncher the game has ever seen. He got more equipment to win a war with Duran if he chose to go that route.

I think he may bang with Duran and buzz him enough to get his respect then box his way to a decision.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #45
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
I could see Duran getting Robinson to bang with him. At the same time that could still turn out bad for Roberto.

Sugar Ray Robinson had dynamite in both hands. The greatest combination puncher the game has ever seen. He got more equipment to win a war with Duran if he chose to go that route.

I think he may bang with Duran and buzz him enough to get his respect then box his way to a decision.
Robinson would go to war, and Roberto isn't walking away from it. He isn't half as mean as he thinks he is once he gets a load Ray Robinson. Forget all that circle the ring and work behind the jab, whatever... Robinson was a Savage. And no sugary nicknames and eloquent descriptions of his footwork can cover up that Fact.

He'd beat Duran any way he ****ing saw fit.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum