Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 01:37 AM   #16
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston...
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycuban
i honestly think if he beats hatton he dosent really have to fight the winner of mosley and cotto to retire as the best in the game right now, and top 10 all time
In no particular order and off the top of my head...

Whitaker
Leonard
Pep
Hopkins
Jones Jr
Ali
SRR
Hearns
JCC
Duran
Holyfield
Gans
B Leonard
Armstrong
Tunney
Greb
Marciano
Lewis
Louis
Dempsey
Johnson
Tyson
Hagler
Ross
Charles


Im getting bored...anyone else wanna add some names?

(I admit, if Floyd wins...which I think he will quite easily, you can argue him against quite a few of those...but seriously dude....top ten??? Your delusional...)
sues2nd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2007, 01:39 AM   #17
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 90
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
Im getting bored...anyone else wanna add some names?

(I admit, if Floyd wins...which I think he will quite easily, you can argue him against quite a few of those...but seriously dude....top ten??? Your delusional...)
Bob Fitzsimmons.

Floyd should try defending belts. That would be a nice start.
thesandman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:42 AM   #18
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
In no particular order and off the top of my head...

Whitaker
Leonard
Pep
Hopkins
Jones Jr
Ali
SRR
Hearns
JCC
Duran
Holyfield
Gans
B Leonard
Armstrong
Tunney
Greb
Marciano
Lewis
Louis
Dempsey
Johnson
Tyson
Hagler
Ross
Charles


Im getting bored...anyone else wanna add some names?

(I admit, if Floyd wins...which I think he will quite easily, you can argue him against quite a few of those...but seriously dude....top ten??? Your delusional...)
Agreed. Floyd was in a great position to forge an awesome legacy, but instead chose to take the path of least resistance. Gatti, Mitchell, Brusseles, Corley, Baldomir and Sosa all did NOTHING for his resume. For those who mention the titles, to the TRUE boxing fan the titles don't mean anything. Its the opponents that count. His best wins are against Corrales (who isn't elite), Castillo (a debatable victory over a guy who certainly isn't an ATG), Judah (who is good but inconsistent and coming off a loss) and Oscar (who was past prime and coming out of retirement). Not much to REALLY get excited about there. Perhaps if he beats Hatton then Cotto and then another top fighter, he might stake a claim as being a top 20 ATG, but a lot would depend on how good Hatton and more importantly Cotto (as he is still young) can go on to be.
MSTR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:42 AM   #19
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
In no particular order and off the top of my head...

Whitaker
Leonard
Pep
Hopkins
Jones Jr
Ali
SRR
Hearns
JCC
Duran
Holyfield
Gans
B Leonard
Armstrong
Tunney
Greb
Marciano
Lewis
Louis
Dempsey
Johnson
Tyson
Hagler
Ross
Charles


Im getting bored...anyone else wanna add some names?

(I admit, if Floyd wins...which I think he will quite easily, you can argue him against quite a few of those...but seriously dude....top ten??? Your delusional...)
Well. I will put Floyd over Hagler and Marciano if he wins...Ross..dont know much...I put floyd over Dempsey and from what I saw and my research he is one of the overrated guys from the past..I would put Floyd over Lennox Lewis..as well.. I put him over Tunney..Dont know much about Gans...I will Put him over B hop with a great win..over Hatton and if Bhop retires now...I would put him over Hearns..though Hearns is one of my favorite fighters of all time but he came up short too much.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #20
KhanB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: By a casino
Posts: 418
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftygrits
Well. I will put Floyd over Hagler and Marciano if he wins...Ross..dont know much...I put floyd over Dempsey and from what I saw and my research he is one of the overrated guys from the past..I would put Floyd over Lennox Lewis..as well.. I put him over Tunney..Dont know much about Gans...I will Put him over B hop with a great win..over Hatton and if Bhop retires now...I would put him over Hearns..though Hearns is one of my favorite fighters of all time but he came up short too much.
Id put Hopkins resume against Floyd Boys anyday and Hearns mightve lost a few times to mostly Hall of Famers but he also won titles in many weight classes.
KhanB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #21
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Agreed. Floyd was in a great position to forge an awesome legacy, but instead chose to take the path of least resistance. Gatti, Mitchell, Brusseles, Corley, Baldomir and Sosa all did NOTHING for his resume. For those who mention the titles, to the TRUE boxing fan the titles don't mean anything. Its the opponents that count. His best wins are against Corrales (who isn't elite), Castillo (a debatable victory over a guy who certainly isn't an ATG), Judah (who is good but inconsistent and coming off a loss) and Oscar (who was past prime and coming out of retirement). Not much to REALLY get excited about there. Perhaps if he beats Hatton then Cotto and then another top fighter, he might stake a claim as being a top 20 ATG, but a lot would depend on how good Hatton and more imporatantly Cotto (as he is still young) can go on to be.
Corrales was elite at 130-135..or did you forget he was the reigning champ for years....him and Castillo ...before and after Floyd....ODH was not retired....he beat Mayorga and was the champion at 154. You are underminding his resume... If thats the Case then Tsyu doe not break top 50 all time b/c his resume is half that of floyds.....You are forgetting good solid fighters that went on to be champion like Jesus Chaves..Genaro Hernandez..you just completely left out all of his wins at 130 and the fact he defended his title 8-9 times....
Toopretty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 AM   #22
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftygrits
Why wont he....that sounds kind of half retarded to me...anybody doesnt move up 5 weight classes and stays undefeated in doing so..its not just the competition its the BIG picture the skill ...MAKING history..having a stellar amateur career..though he was robbed at the olympics... ATG status rubbing shoulders with the Haglers and the Leonards...Durans etc...
So De la Hoya won world titles in 7 weight divisions... DOes that make him the greatest ever then? Your point of view stinks of someone who is extremely naive. Titles and weight divisions is the LEAST important thing when considering ATG status.
MSTR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:48 AM   #23
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanB
Id put Hopkins resume against Floyd Boys anyday and Hearns mightve lost a few times to mostly Hall of Famers but he also won titles in many weight classes.
Yes, from 147-168..in a winning and losing effort during..Most losses were to other great fighters..but still were losses..Hearns we all loved so its hard to make a unbiased decision with him..NOBODY disliked Hearns.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:49 AM   #24
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
Posts: 8,020
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftygrits
Corrales was elite at 130-135..or did you forget he was the reigning champ for years....him and Castillo ...before and after Floyd....ODH was not retired....he beat Mayorga and was the champion at 154. You are underminding his resume... If thats the Case then Tsyu doe not break top 50 all time b/c his resume is half that of floyds.....You are forgetting good solid fighters that went on to be champion like Jesus Chaves..Genaro Hernandez..you just completely left out all of his wins at 130 and the fact he defended his title 8-9 times....
KT isn't top 50 all time. No one really thinks he is.

DLH wasn't retired, but he was A champion at 154, not THE champion, and not even the highest rated champion. That was Spinks for beating Karmarzin.

PBF has some great wins at 130....but that resume is weak compared to other champions from other weight classes who were dominant. Trinidad for example only lost to ATG and defended his WW title 16 times or so. And his resume there DWARFS PBF's 130 resume. So where does he rank if PBF is top 10?
kg0208 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:49 AM   #25
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston...
Posts: 4,882
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftygrits
Well. I will put Floyd over Hagler and Marciano if he wins...Ross..dont know much...I put floyd over Dempsey and from what I saw and my research he is one of the overrated guys from the past..I would put Floyd over Lennox Lewis..as well.. I put him over Tunney..Dont know much about Gans...I will Put him over B hop with a great win..over Hatton and if Bhop retires now...I would put him over Hearns..though Hearns is one of my favorite fighters of all time but he came up short too much.
And those names were just off the top of my head!!!

Trust me....he is nowhere NEAR the top ten. And a win vs Hatton, tho will get him closer, will still land him NO WHERE NEAR the top ten.

And I am sorry, he is no where close to Holyfield, Hopkins or Jones either (for best of this era).
sues2nd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #26
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
So De la Hoya won world titles in 7 weight divisions... DOes that make him the greatest ever then? Your point of view stinks of someone who is extremely naive. Titles and weight divisions is the LEAST important thing when considering ATG status.
ODH will go down as an ATG..but ODH lost the big fight....LOST..key word..lost...as I decapitated you earlier you left out floyds whole 130 reign and he is arguably one of the best at 130 EVER.....I dont expect much from you..your ridiculous views are redundant.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #27
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
Posts: 8,020
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftygrits
Yes, from 147-168..in a winning and losing effort during..Most losses were to other great fighters..but still were losses..Hearns we all loved so its hard to make a unbiased decision with him..NOBODY disliked Hearns.
But losing to ATG fighters is higher in most regards than beating average to good ones. At least he fought them.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:51 AM   #28
unclepaulie
Run like an antelope!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 541
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

only chance floyd has of being a consensus top 10 all time is if he beats the winner of mosley/cotto. and thats still a maybe.
unclepaulie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:52 AM   #29
Toopretty
Custom made
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
And those names were just off the top of my head!!!

Trust me....he is nowhere NEAR the top ten. And a win vs Hatton, tho will get him closer, will still land him NO WHERE NEAR the top ten.

And I am sorry, he is no where close to Holyfield, Hopkins or Jones either (for best of this era).
Jones no..Hopkins..yes...Bhop best wins were over inflated welterweights..and thats for damned sure...he was the bigger man...and they moved up to fight him..same with Hagler.....they are fighting with an advantage.
Toopretty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:52 AM   #30
KhanB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: By a casino
Posts: 418
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will you guys consider Mayweather top 3 ever, if he beats up Hatton and retires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftygrits
Yes, from 147-168..in a winning and losing effort during..Most losses were to other great fighters..but still were losses..Hearns we all loved so its hard to make a unbiased decision with him..NOBODY disliked Hearns.
True. Honestly, Floyd may be better Hearns in a P4P sense but he is well liked and he was a part of the Fab Four in the 80's when it was a good time to make a name for yourself.
KhanB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013