Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 09-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
nrgetic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Calzaghe vs Kessler - who wins and why

I am big fan of Kessler but I think Calzaghe has the right to be a strong favourite

Kessler by Points
  • Calzaghe is not big enough to hold and hit Kessler as he has done with other opponents
  • Calzaghe will be more cautious against Kessler because Kessler has the power to damage Calzaghe and the jab to punish Calzaghe on the way in so the frequency of opportunities Calzaghe has to get in will be significantly reduced.
  • Kessler is bigger and has the stature to keep Calzaghe at distance which is very much not the style that Calzaghe prefers
  • Calzaghe has a good chin – he can Kessler’s best punch and his elusiveness probably means he will not get hit too frequently but possibly enough to lose rounds
  • Calzaghe will need to move a lot against Kessler and the judges might favour Kessler for this reason
  • Kessler has very good footwork and this will make life hard for Calzaghe

Kessler by Stoppage
  • Calzaghe makes a lot of mistakes and he could get caught
  • Calzaghe is very square when he throws his combinations and could get caught and Kessler will easily hit him to the chest or shoulders, throat or head down the middle every time and very hard, Calzaghe will think twice about spending anytime in close with Kessler even though Kessler is not a good inside fighter, against Calzaghe does not need to be
  • Calzaghe often jumps in but Kessler jab will send him backwards if Kessler times him
  • If Calzaghe stops moving or is stunned he is getting KOed

Calzaghe by Points
  • Kessler like to be set and Calzaghe working the angles could seriously disrupt Kessler rhythm
  • Calzaghe is faster and has a higher punch output than Kessler and this could impress judges
  • Kessler is an orthodox fighter 6’1” tall and has a wide leg stance which he uses to generate his power and throws the jab his main weapon every 3 or 4 seconds when a target is stationary in front of him like Lucas and Siaca were. doubles up on the jab well but Kessler does not paw with it, he leans into it and really ramrods the jab home with very good effect, often rocking his opponents head and so not letting his opponent to get into a rhythm.
  • Also Kessler circles exclusively to his left, making it much easier for the southpaw to get outside and around him.
  • Kessler is an orthodox fighter 6’1” tall and has a wide leg stance which he uses to generate his power and throws the jab his main weapon every 3 or 4 seconds when a target is stationary in front of him like Lucas and Siaca were – Calzaghe will not be in front of Kessler and Calzaghes movement will significantly disrupt Kessler pattern.
  • Kessler doesn’t move his head much so he could be a relatively easy target and Calzaghe could accumulate points/rounds because combinations impress the judges even though they may not have much impact on Kessler
  • Calzaghe will use lateral movement stepping to his right and outside of Kessler’s front foot, which Kessler with a wide foot stance will have a lot of trouble adapting to.
  • Calzaghe has a high work rate which means that Kessler will be constantly resetting and hence not achieving enough effective aggression to win rounds consistently.
  • The fight is in Cardiff with a very parochial crowd – this may have some influence on the judges.

Calzaghe by Stoppage
  • Calzaghe could exploit his speed advantage and accumulated damage on Kessler could result in a late stoppage or if Calzaghe exploits his speed advantage in a flurry
  • Dodgy hometown stoppage?
Any comments - viewpoints?
nrgetic is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Kessler - who wins and why

I can see how both can win - all i can do is flip a coin.
teke is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Should be a great matchup thats for sure.
Its that close to call, that i agree with Teke time for me to flip a coin.
One day i think Kessler might win & on another day i think Calzaghe.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yep I am the same....Joe with speed and combos VS kess with power and jabs.

Hometown advantage will play a big part for Joe but Kess has overcome that type of thing in the past.

Kess will have loads of power and that will keep Joe at a distance but Joe can move and has great speed and this could upset Kess.

I think Kess will win...no Joe...no Kess....f... I dont know.

Last edited by Zakman; 06-06-2006 at 06:31 PM.
ashley is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgetic
I am big fan of Kessler but I think Calzaghe has the right to be a strong favourite

Kessler by Points
  • Calzaghe is not big enough to hold and hit Kessler as he has done with other opponents
  • Calzaghe will be more cautious against Kessler because Kessler has the power to damage Calzaghe and the jab to punish Calzaghe on the way in so the frequency of opportunities Calzaghe has to get in will be significantly reduced.
  • Kessler is bigger and has the stature to keep Calzaghe at distance which is very much not the style that Calzaghe prefers
  • Calzaghe has a good chin – he can Kessler’s best punch and his elusiveness probably means he will not get hit too frequently but possibly enough to lose rounds
  • Kessler has very good footwork and this will make life hard for Calzaghe
This is more of a "why Calzaghe will find it more difficult than usual to win on points" thing, than an actual, how Kessler will win a decision analysis.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 12:05 AM   #6
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Good post nrgetic.

I say Joe wins cause he is just better.

Last edited by Mercury4; 06-07-2006 at 02:52 AM.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 12:14 AM   #7
Peterp
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Kessler !
Peterp is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
waynesmale
TEAM LONEWOLF
ESB Senior Member

Joe will start off good but by round 5-6 he will fall into the Southpaw trap of that powerful straight right hand by Kessler.

KESSLER KO (TKO) ROUND 9
waynesmale is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
THN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 908

China hand joe I serusly fear for you, what will your life be when Joe loose?
will you pick up a new quest for your life or just drink?
THN is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
nrgetic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I watched Kessler vs Mundine again today. Kessler is very structured in his offence in the sense of start an offensive pattern as opposed to going with the flow and improvising. Calzaghe will be in constant motion and Kessler will need to counterpunch a lot which is not generally how Kessler beat an opponent. Kessler generally throws a combination which creates opportunities. He is often too busy getting out of the way to organise his counterpunching when pressured - like he is trying to reset.

I will change my mind a 100 times before the fight and I suppose that reflects this is a tight fight and a few different scenarios are equally likely
nrgetic is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock
Good post nrgetic.

I say Joe wins cause he is just better.
Calzaghe is not better than Kessler at this point, that's not true. He just has the better style for Kessler than Kessler does Calzaghe and this will decide the fight.

Kessler is likely the next SMW-LHW king, he's really fantastic and will continue to improve.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
heidegger

vCash:

Kessler brutal KO round 5.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #13
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I dont know who will win but its going to be a massive build up and one hell of a fight
ashley is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 02:56 AM   #14
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Calzaghe is not better than Kessler at this point, that's not true. He just has the better style for Kessler than Kessler does Calzaghe and this will decide the fight.

Kessler is likely the next SMW-LHW king, he's really fantastic and will continue to improve.

Styles make fights sure but to say its just the style that will win it for him is silly and basically reasserts my point. Its his talent, methods, physical attributes and experience that make his style and I think he able to combine these things because he is the better fighter.

When Joe has his hand raised at the end of this fight its because he was the better fighter no other reason.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #15
henrik
fasthands
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 980

i think kessler wins after a very hard fight...but i think that late in the fight kessler will catch J.C with KO...but it can go to both sides IMO.
henrik is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum