Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #61
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton to fight for world title in November!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mc View Post
I think the difference is that Junior Witter is fighting for a significant Alphabet title, that happens to be vacant, Ricky Hatton isn't even fighting for a title but we will be constantly told that he is and if he wins he will be a 7 time World Champion. Ricky Hatton, nice guy that he is, is very clever at marketing and even convinced many people that the P4P title was lineal.
It is a vacant alphabet title yes but significant? It is the same title he was beaten for by Bradley, who has not lost, moved up or vacated. Plus, it's value was dubious when he first won it IMHO, the title had been stripped from Tszyu who was the universally recognised champ because the sanctioning bandits couldn't have a year without any sanctioning income. The title Hatton is fighting for is equally useless. Yet both will be marketed by Sky as genuine world title bouts.

The p4p thing is a genuine case and point. There wasn't a recognised world title on the line in the Pacquiao bout so I'm sure some of the "pound for pound title" comments were at the prompting of Sky and for the purposes of hyping up the fight. Hatton never mentioned any of that before the Mayweather fight as that one was for a genuine world title belt.
"TKO" is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2009, 06:17 AM   #62
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by "TKO" View Post
Fair enough, I just mentioned him by way of an easy comparison. It was to highlight some of the hypocrisies that seem to exist where Hatton is comcerned rather than a dig at your guy. Apologies if it came across in that way. I'll be cheering him on against Alexander.
My post was made with a large portion of tongue inserted in my cheek
icemax is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #63
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by "TKO" View Post
It is a vacant alphabet title yes but significant? It is the same title he was beaten for by Bradley, who has not lost, moved up or vacated. Plus, it's value was dubious when he first won it IMHO, the title had been stripped from Tszyu who was the universally recognised champ because the sanctioning bandits couldn't have a year without any sanctioning income. The title Hatton is fighting for is equally useless. Yet both will be marketed by Sky as genuine world title bouts.

The p4p thing is a genuine case and point. There wasn't a recognised world title on the line in the Pacquiao bout so I'm sure some of the "pound for pound title" comments were at the prompting of Sky and for the purposes of hyping up the fight. Hatton never mentioned any of that before the Mayweather fight as that one was for a genuine world title belt.
There was a title on the line when Hatton fought Pacquiao; The Ring Magazine Light-Welterweight title which is held by the one true champion. Also Hatton did claim, on several occassions, that if he beat Mayweather then he would be the P4P champion.

Finally, in my opinion, no alphabet title is significant but some are more significant than others.
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #64
"TKO"
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Mc View Post
There was a title on the line when Hatton fought Pacquiao; The Ring Magazine Light-Welterweight title which is held by the one true champion. Also Hatton did claim, on several occassions, that if he beat Mayweather then he would be the P4P champion.

Finally, in my opinion, no alphabet title is significant but some are more significant than others.
The ring is not an official sanctioning body but yeah maybe a fair point. I must have missed those comments prior to the Mayweather fight then, but maybe it's because Betty and his cohorts had some other minor gripe to bring up every 5 minutes at that stage!
"TKO" is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2009, 06:50 AM   #65
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I don't remember Hatton saying he would be P4P champion, if he said he would be P4P number 1 if he beat Mayweather then thats different and a matter of opinion.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #66
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

No recognised title on the line? They weere fighting fopr the highly sought after, coveted IBO belt, of course.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #67
Lee Mc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 172

I know it's now two months since the Hatton vs Pacquiao fight but I'm still going to have a moan!

Do you know what REALLY pissed me off that night? The fact that Hatton had Pacquiao enter the ring and be introduced second just to add even more weight to his P4P Champion hype...

AGGGGGRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH

Thank you, I feel better now.
Lee Mc is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #68
Jeff Young
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 7241

The Senchenko fight does make sense in some ways....if ricky has even 50% of his prime left he should beat this guy, if this news story is true.....the guy has fought nobodies in ukraine his whole carear....i'm afraid though ricky will want to go on after this fight......to lead to a big money fight at 147....

I have brought up before that cotto vs hatton.....outdoors at yankee stadium would be huge for boxing....sure cotto would probably win......but this fight would be great for boxing....

yankee stadium sell-out outdoors, full with the promotional hype and the puerto rican fans based in new york....along with hatton's army coming overseas.....thats why i think hatton would test the waters at 147 again with senchenko, if this story is true.....
Jeff Young is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum