Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #16
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Reverse a loss from any fighter that would have the biggest impact on thier legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Tyson - Holyfield II
Agreed. The only chance at revenge during Tyson's entire career to reverse a defeat, and he failed. Thats the difference between Duran's "no mas" and Tyson's "bite of the century", one came back to prove noteworthy wins, the other beat second rate contenders.

Duran's significant performances after Leonard beat him. Cuevas KO4, Moore KO8, Hagler L15, Barkley W12.
Robbi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #17
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Reverse a loss from any fighter that would have the biggest impact on thier legacy

Tyson/Lewis
Tyson/Holy 2

Holyfield one and buster could have been left their if these fights turned out the other way..
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic Behavior
I actually thought the first Mosley fight affected Oscar's mind more than the Trinidad fight.

With the Tito fight, in Oscar's mind (and many others), Tito didn't win that fight. But the Mosley fight in 2000 was different. After some initial complaining, Oscar later accepted that he legimiately lost that fight.

Then that's when Oscar started to take long layoffs.

The rematch was actually a UD, all 3 judges had it 115-113 for Shane.
Yeah. I do agree De La Hoya himself and many others in the sport, media and fans, thought he beat Trinidad. But his 0 went in that fight, and it dented his confidence. Just before the Mosley fight he was not fully focused on boxing, he had started to record his album. If you mind right, he entered the ring against Mosley to a track from his album.

After the Mosley defeat, he really went away from boxing in a big way. Nominated for a grammy, split with his girlfriend Shanna Moakler, and even made an apperance at the VH1 fashion awards.

I feel the second Mosley fight would have been a real coup for his legacy getting revenge.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #19
Mike T
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hearns vs Leonard 1 and 2
Tyson vs Lewis
Mike T is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #20
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I don't want to cheat, but imagine Hearns legacy with these two defining fights changed;

Hearns beats Leonard in their matchup
Hearns beats Hagler

For me, it'd make him top10 P4P (given he did it with conviction)
Sizzle is offline  Top
Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #21
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Reverse a loss from any fighter that would have the biggest impact on thier legac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
I don't want to cheat, but imagine Hearns legacy with these two defining fights changed;

Hearns beats Leonard in their matchup
Hearns beats Hagler

For me, it'd make him top10 P4P (given he did it with conviction)
Just because he didn't get the offical decision in the second Leonard fight doesn't mean he didn't win it.

Considering Leonard admits he lost the second fight...
Russell is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 08:23 AM   #22
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Reverse a loss from any fighter that would have the biggest impact on thier legac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T
Hearns vs Leonard 1 and 2
Tyson vs Lewis
Drastically disagree with II, Hearns if anything took more stock from a loss near everyone thought he'd won than he would have in taking the decision. I'd actually go for Hearns - Hagler because it would have easily been defendable then that Hearns had improved quite dramatically post Leonard.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #23
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Just because he didn't get the offical decision in the second Leonard fight doesn't mean he didn't win it.

Considering Leonard admits he lost the second fight...
Second fight doesn't mean shit. I think a draw was a fair result anyway.

I was talking about the first fight with both fighters at the peak of their careers.

If Hearns takes out both Hagler and Ray Leonard, rather than being stopped by both of them, his legacy is A LOT more impressive. Most people will regard Leonard/Hagler top30 all-time P4P, some even top10.
Sizzle is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #24
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
Second fight doesn't mean shit. I think a draw was a fair result anyway.

I was talking about the first fight with both fighters at the peak of their careers.

If Hearns takes out both Hagler and Ray Leonard, rather than being stopped by both of them, his legacy is A LOT more impressive. Most people will regard Leonard/Hagler top30 all-time P4P, some even top10.
I think he quoted the wrong post and was meaning to reply to the one i did.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #25
prime
BOX! Writing Champion
ESB Senior Member

The Rumble in the Jungle. Had there been no Muhammad Ali, he might have reigned forever. Yes, I believe he would have gotten to young Holmes, too.
prime is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #26
prime
BOX! Writing Champion
ESB Senior Member

He = Big George Foreman.
prime is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #27
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

I still think Foreman would have lost some were down the line. I think Young or perhaps Holmes would be Foreman's posion.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #28
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Hagler - Leonard.

Hagler defeats Hearns in the rematch and retires as Middleweight champ with 14 defenses and unbeaten for over 11 years....
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #29
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Tyson-Douglas. If that 8th round knockdown Tyson landed would have been scored as a stoppage, everyone would be talking about how much heart Tyson had. Instead everyone says Tyson always folds under pressure.

Last edited by Irish; 06-08-2006 at 12:08 AM.
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 09-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #30
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Frazier/Foreman would of been huge too.
If Frazier had beaten Foreman then Foreman would be a nobody and we would criticise Frazier for fighting this manufactured chump.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum