Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #61
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 596
Default Re: Would Hearns shut Whitaker out at 147?

As great as Whitaker is. It might not go the full 12 or 15.
ripcity is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #62
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Tommy had trouble with swarmers, but not with boxers. Whitakers would be out at the end of Tommy's jab and lose a decision.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #63
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Whitaker is on of those rare once in five generation fighters. A truely all time great fighter. I dont see anybody having an easy fight with him at 147,even Robinson....But,hearns is just all wrong at 147. KO or wide,wide UD. Hearns coped very well with Benitez and leonard,and they were far bigger men and almost equally as skilled as pea. Pea doesnt have the one punch offense to turn it round like leonard either. If he tries to come forward i suspect he will be koed,if he boxes or runs he has no chance.
enquirer is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #64
Dinamita85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Been mulling this one over and this fight is just all wrong for whittaker, i love pernell the guy was awesome but Hearns has nearly every advantage over him, his height, reach power and speed, ramrod job.

No shame though at all in that though , id pick hearns over most boxers in history at welter...if they cant hurt him they got no chance and i doubt pernell would have the pop... see it going similarly to the Benitez fight.
Dinamita85 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #65
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinamita85 View Post
Been mulling this one over and this fight is just all wrong for whittaker, i love pernell the guy was awesome but Hearns has nearly every advantage over him, his height, reach power and speed, ramrod job.

No shame though at all in that though , id pick hearns over most boxers in history at welter...if they cant hurt him they got no chance and i doubt pernell would have the pop... see it going similarly to the Benitez fight.
that is the problem with Hearns, if the fight is turned into boxing and counterpunching, and the fight is slowed down it was very hard to beat him with his jab and right hand. It is funny because the guy who usually started to brawl during fights more and went out of that style is Tommy himself. Once he started to land he started throwing more punches and leaving himself open, and that is how Leonard beat him the first time. And Hagler knew if Tommy saw and opening he would take it. Openings were irresistable to Tommy and that was his big flaw. As his biggest fan, he did not take a good enough punch to brawl in some of the fights he did. But with Whitaker it wouldn't matter. He would have the rhythm and size and speed and outbox him. I don't see him knocking out Whitaker
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #66
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

While I think Hearns is the perfect fighter to counter act Whitaker's sublime defensive abilities, I doubt he would shut him out.

If Hearns simply boxed and moved a shut out wouldn't be out of the question but you know he would look for the KO and that would allow Whitaker to get close enough to land his shots.
Brighton bomber is online now  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #67
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Hearns is such an amazing Boxer. In terms of pure Boxing, he is so awesome! Possibly the best ever.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #68
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Hearns
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #69
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The love for hearns in this matchup and in general at WW is getting silly. People act like he was never beaten at that weight.. HE WAS. People act like he KO'd every meaningful fighter he faced at this weight.. HE DIDN'T. If Pea was KO'd by a prime Tito when he was welll past his best.. coc'd out.. and with a broken Jaw.. Hearns isn't getting him out of there. A prime Pea would be hit nearly as much as that version of Pea was. I honestly see Pea getting a bit into Hearns head actually... I think him making Tommy miss and clowing him in the process.. will piss tommy off and make him go for the KO. IN the process that will leave him open to counters.. and we all know how good pea is with countering. I'm not saying Pea wins... but people acting like Hearns will shut him out or KO him is kinda silly imo.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #70
Dinamita85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
that is the problem with Hearns, if the fight is turned into boxing and counterpunching, and the fight is slowed down it was very hard to beat him with his jab and right hand. It is funny because the guy who usually started to brawl during fights more and went out of that style is Tommy himself. Once he started to land he started throwing more punches and leaving himself open, and that is how Leonard beat him the first time. And Hagler knew if Tommy saw and opening he would take it. Openings were irresistable to Tommy and that was his big flaw. As his biggest fan, he did not take a good enough punch to brawl in some of the fights he did. But with Whitaker it wouldn't matter. He would have the rhythm and size and speed and outbox him. I don't see him knocking out Whitaker
Good point to be honest - i didnt quite look at it from that perspective, when Hearns opened up if he couldnt ko them he was very vulnerable like you mentioned,i still wouldnt bet against him at welter against anyone especially fighters that didnt have half decent dig no matter how good a boxer they were. i also agree with your point about tommy not knocking him out, whitaker was hard as nails , i remember him fighting trinidad unusually agressive and even on the KD's Whitaker didnt look hurt and Trinidad was a beastly puncher at welter.
Dinamita85 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum