Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 03:04 AM   #31
PIRA
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 1000
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
This fight is on a par with Butterbean vs Holmes in terms of significance.

If this victory over an old, fat, retired pro boxer is something to crow about, then MMA fans must be desperate indeed.
The point you miss Drexl, and one wonders if it is deliberately so, is that the crow that is being dished out is in celebration at how ridiculous Zakman's and similar posters such as Eviscerassaction look with their hyperbole.

No MMA fan considers this as anything but a celebrity fight yet to these fools it was the line in the sand where a pure boxer was going to school some MMA'er.

We could say we told you so......and we will so these presumptous no-nothings get owned over and over again.
PIRA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #32
Drexl
Your Hero
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 75
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRA
The point you miss Drexl, and one wonders if it is deliberately so, is that the crow that is being dished out is in celebration at how ridiculous Zakman's and similar posters such as Eviscerassaction look with their hyperbole.

No MMA fan considers this as anything but a celebrity fight yet to these fools it was the line in the sand where a pure boxer was going to school some MMA'er.

We could say we told you so......and we will so these presumptous no-nothings get owned over and over again.

It was never the case of a pure boxer vs a MMA'er. Show me where I said it was.

It was an old EX-boxer vs an internet myth street-fighter. The guy that was in shape and bothered to learn a few MMA basics won the fight because it was under MMA rules.

Where is the surprise, and why am I supposed to be impressed?
Drexl is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #33
goldnarms
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 296
vCash: 1000
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
It was never the case of a pure boxer vs a MMA'er. Show me where I said it was.

It was an old EX-boxer vs an internet myth street-fighter. The guy that was in shape and bothered to learn a few MMA basics won the fight because it was under MMA rules.

Where is the surprise, and why am I supposed to be impressed?


Funny..now he's an "ex boxer". Whatever, all a "myth" had to do was learn a "few MMA basic" skills to destory a pro boxer in a matter of seconds.

Its not that you should be impressed. It just shows the limitation of only knowing one art The sad thing is. If Ray Mercer had even known tae kwan do and had never stepped foot an a boxing ring he would have done better. The fact is, even if he is old and washed up his sill set was 100 percent nullfied.
goldnarms is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #34
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2
vCash: 1000
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
It was never the case of a pure boxer vs a MMA'er. Show me where I said it was.

It was an old EX-boxer vs an internet myth street-fighter. The guy that was in shape and bothered to learn a few MMA basics won the fight because it was under MMA rules.

Where is the surprise, and why am I supposed to be impressed?
I am impressed that some asshole off the street can train and beat a life time of boxing knowledge/training.
iksrtfo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #35
SweetScienceFan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 208
vCash: 1000
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

I just think that it is funny to see how before this fight was made, people always said that a person like Mercer would kill Kimbo in a street fight. Yet, they fought in MMA and Kimbo manhandled him, and all of the sudden those types of people are saying that Mercer was too old.
SweetScienceFan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #36
bigG
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: wherever my mind takes me
Posts: 789
vCash: 1000
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

i fully expected mercer to kayo kimbo...not because a boxer should do that to an mma fighter, but because i never thought kimbo would be in shape or have trained/learned basic mma.....credit to the guy....i was wrong.....iv never disliked kimbo, indeed, whenever iv seen him interviewd he has eemed like a down to earht decent guy......if he trains mma full time, perhaps he can have a brief, expolsive tank abbot type career.....??
bigG is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:04 AM   #37
Drexl
Your Hero
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 75
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrtfo
I am impressed that some asshole off the street can train and beat a life time of boxing knowledge/training.
Yeah... can beat him in an MMA fight after training in MMA. Again where is the surprise?

If they both jumped in a swimming pool and did 100 metres, would you be impressed if Kimbo won? A fit 30 year old vs a fat 46 year old?
Drexl is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:06 AM   #38
Drexl
Your Hero
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 75
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldnarms
Whatever, all a "myth" had to do was learn a "few MMA basic" skills to destory a pro boxer in a matter of seconds.
....in an MMA fight. Exactly.

Why is anybody surprised or impressed?
Drexl is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:53 AM   #39
SweetScienceFan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 208
vCash: 1000
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah... can beat him in an MMA fight after training in MMA. Again where is the surprise?

If they both jumped in a swimming pool and did 100 metres, would you be impressed if Kimbo won? A fit 30 year old vs a fat 46 year old?
Mercer was training in MMA as well. Other than the choke itself anyways, none of the grappling training that Kimbo did was really used in the fight. He was manhandling Mercer on their feet too.
SweetScienceFan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:57 AM   #40
SweetScienceFan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 208
vCash: 1000
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
....in an MMA fight. Exactly.

Why is anybody surprised or impressed?
Maybe because Mercer has been training and boxing for years? He also trained for, and fought in k-1, and now trained and fought in MMA. So, considering a common bad ass street fighter can train for a short time in MMA and completely dominate and beat a professional boxer who was a terrific contender and an Olympic gold Medalist says a lot. Just because Mercer is older now doesn't mean Kimbo didn't impress people by completely destroying a man who has been refining his skills for over 20 years.
SweetScienceFan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:57 AM   #41
Drexl
Your Hero
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 75
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScienceFan
Mercer was training in MMA as well. Other than the choke itself anyways, none of the grappling training that Kimbo did was really used in the fight. He was manhandling Mercer on their feet too.
So again it comes back to an in-shape 30 year old vs a fat 46 year old.

Again - completely predictable and not that impressive. And not really any kind of significant victory for MMA over boxing, just a victory for good preparation over bad preparation.
Drexl is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:00 AM   #42
Drexl
Your Hero
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 75
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScienceFan
Maybe because Mercer has been training and boxing for years? He also trained for, and fought in k-1, and now trained and fought in MMA. So, considering a common bad ass street fighter can train for a short time in MMA and completely dominate and beat a professional boxer who was a terrific contender and an Olympic gold Medalist says a lot. Just because Mercer is older now doesn't mean Kimbo didn't impress people by completely destroying a man who has been refining his skills for over 20 years.
Yeah - a street fighter with MMA training beat a lifelong boxer IN MMA. You said it.

I still don't get the surprise.
Drexl is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:02 AM   #43
SweetScienceFan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 208
vCash: 1000
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
So again it comes back to an in-shape 30 year old vs a fat 46 year old.

Again - completely predictable and not that impressive.
Is fighting only about ages in your book? What about the fighters themselves, their backrounds, does that mean anything? Kimbo is 33 and has been doing nothing but fighting in the street. Mercer has been training and competing at a top level of boxing all of his life. The answer to your question is simple. I see your point of it not being a big deal, if you agree that boxing is an extremely limited fighting sport compared to an MMA fight. I agree, which is why I certainly wasn't shocked to see Kimbo beat him. Had it been a top shelf MMA fighter, I would have bet everything that I own on the MMA fighter regardless of who the pure boxer was.

This argument that most are having goes back to the old boxing is a superior sport world. People have been saying for years that someone like Mercer would kill Kimbo in a fight. Not a boxing match, but a fight. This is a wake up call for people who think that boxers are unstoppable fighters in a real atmosphere. Who think that they will "kill people with those little gloves". The reality is that in a real fight, most of the beautiful, techincal ins and outs of boxing are pretty much useless.
SweetScienceFan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:04 AM   #44
SweetScienceFan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 208
vCash: 1000
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah - a street fighter with MMA training beat a lifelong boxer IN MMA. You said it.

I still don't get the surprise.
Who is asking you to be suprised?
SweetScienceFan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:15 AM   #45
Nokstar
5'9", 175lbs, man-machine
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 81
vCash: 1000
Default Re: told you fools...all yall that was hatin on kimbo slice...man up and take your L

i find it funny that people are ignoring the fact that the fight started off with "boxing"...mercer was getting his azz whooped before any take down even happened...
Nokstar is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013