Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
twoohands
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Losing a fight!

On the weekend i lost my fight. Instead of boxing like a shoud have and picked him off as he came in, because he was wide open for it. I just went into brawling mode and i lost a fight to an opponent i should have easily beat..

My question is, what sort of advise does your coach usually give you after a loss? Does he tell you, you have a few things to work on or you should have done this? or does he give you a verbal beat down and make you feel like a peice of shit for losing?

Because my coach let me have it in front of about 10 other people and made me feel like a peice of shit..

Does a loss increase your motivation for your next fight?

Im having a few days off and i already cant wait for the next day of fights. Im hungry to redeem myself.
twoohands is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
wansen

vCash:
Default Re: Losing a fight!

Different things work for different people. Although I really don't agree with "making someone feel like a piece of shit"....it sounds as though it might have worked as you are "hungry to redeem yourself". If possible, I'd try to find out if anyone got a video of your bout. To me, that's the BEST way to see your own mistakes. We used to tape our sparring (and that was not all that easy in the "old days") and bouts. And watch them over and over and over, etc.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He put it nicely here, but I also lost my first fight. Then I won my next/last four. My trainer was the womens WBO middleweight belt holder and she lost her first like 6. So yea dont get discouraged man. Learn from it.
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
twoohands
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRock49 View Post
He put it nicely here, but I also lost my first fight. Then I won my next/last four. My trainer was the womens WBO middleweight belt holder and she lost her first like 6. So yea dont get discouraged man. Learn from it.

This wasnt my first fight, ive had many fights. I just performed shit. I know i fought the wrong fight. Now i know not to fight that style of fight anymore. I have learnt alot more from this loss then i have from my wins.
Ill get the video soon and have a good look at it.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
The Predator
Contender
ESB Senior Member

First of all, I donīt believe in making the boxer feel like shit after he/she lost a fight, the boxer allready feel bad, as a trainer, try to be supportive directly afterworlds, "okay we didnīt work as planned, but you did that and that good etc... etc" I think itīs good to say "we" when the boxer loose, it sort of lay a little blame on the trainer as well, it might easy up the thing for the boxer. Then after a couple of days when we get back in the gym, then we go through exactly what went wrong and start to work on those things. Itīs no use shouting and acting like a fool against someone that allready feel bad, you shouldnīt do that against anyone. As a trainer you are there to help and develop your fighter, not break them down, in my opinion that sort of trainers shouldnīt be in the game.
You will win your next fight
All the best
The Predator
The Predator is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
twoohands
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Predator View Post
First of all, I donīt believe in making the boxer feel like shit after he/she lost a fight, the boxer allready feel bad, as a trainer, try to be supportive directly afterworlds, "okay we didnīt work as planned, but you did that and that good etc... etc" I think itīs good to say "we" when the boxer loose, it sort of lay a little blame on the trainer as well, it might easy up the thing for the boxer. Then after a couple of days when we get back in the gym, then we go through exactly what went wrong and start to work on those things. Itīs no use shouting and acting like a fool against someone that allready feel bad, you shouldnīt do that against anyone. As a trainer you are there to help and develop your fighter, not break them down, in my opinion that sort of trainers shouldnīt be in the game.
You will win your next fight
All the best
The Predator

Thats the things after the fight i new i performed bad. My trainer was telling me to relax during the fight and box like i usually do. For some reason i was over excited and just wanted to brawl. Ive learnt my lesson now and wont do that again.
During the fight my trainer was apparently waving his hands in the air and shaking his head at me.
My trainer always seems to point out my negatives. Even in sparring against more experienced heavier guys, he always sais your not doing this or that or this is no good. Never sais anything positive.
I dont know if this is normal from a trainer, i see other trainers after the fight with there fighters after they lost and they dont treat there fighters that way.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Maybe you just had an offnight. We all get them. Look at Oscar DeLaHoya!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It Happens so what, Ive been on the Floor that many times Ive got a Cauliflower Arse
scrap is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
twoohands
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
It Happens so what, Ive been on the Floor that many times Ive got a Cauliflower Arse

i bet thats not the reason why you got a cauliflower arse...let me guess
Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Old 07-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
The Predator
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Normal or not, I think itīs wrong, a trainer is there to support, protect and help his boxer in any way. itīs no help having someone shout and point out that you did this or that wrong.
Like I wrote before, you lost the fight, you donīt need to hear directly after the fight what you did wrong, you allready know something went wrong oterwise you shouldnīt have lost.
trainers that act that way is, in my opinion, not good for their boxers. Perhaps it would be better that the trainer went in to the ring himself and did everything right cause iīm sure he never lost a fight in his whole life.
Seriously, I understand that you like your trainer, but a trainer has no right to act that way. it doesnīt help you or any other fighter.
keep up the good work, let me know how your next fight goes.
The Predator
The Predator is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

It motivated me a lot, but I felt good about the fight win or lose. Learned a great deal from it, and if it wasn't for an ankle injury I would have fought again by now.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoohands View Post
Thats the things after the fight i new i performed bad. My trainer was telling me to relax during the fight and box like i usually do. For some reason i was over excited and just wanted to brawl. Ive learnt my lesson now and wont do that again.
During the fight my trainer was apparently waving his hands in the air and shaking his head at me.
My trainer always seems to point out my negatives. Even in sparring against more experienced heavier guys, he always sais your not doing this or that or this is no good. Never sais anything positive.
I dont know if this is normal from a trainer, i see other trainers after the fight with there fighters after they lost and they dont treat there fighters that way.
Sometimes it does not mean he thinks you're doing bad, it may mean that he simply expects more of you. I know a guy who always pointed out my bad sides, and complimented some others. When I asked him why he told me that was unintentional, he simply held me to higher standards.

Have you confronted him?
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You win some, you lose some. As long as you do your best you can always hold your head up; just focus on the things that you need to improve on next time. Name of the game in the amateurs.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

As a coach, and a retired fighter, I know what its like from both sides of the fence. I tend to judge each situation on its own merits. Sometimes, you might be overmatched, try your best and lose, in this case a bollocking does nobody any good. If one of my guys simply has an off night, which we all do from time to time, I use the loss as a motivating factor in their training for their next fight. If my fighter loses by fightning like a dickhead, as far as i'm concerned he's wasting my time, and i'll let him know it in no uncertain terms.

I push my fighters hard, and although I don't expect them to win every fight, I do expect them to follow my instuctions as best they can - if they lose even though they followed my instructions, I view that as a loss for me, rather than them.

The one thing that I simply will not tolerate is someone who completely disregards everything that I work very hard to instill in them. If someone is going to fight their own fight, then they should tell me that right from the start of training, atleast that way, I can dedicate my time to someone else who is prepared to listen and learn.

By nature, I am quite an impatient person, so I have a simple system. The first time one of my fighters goes there own way in a fight, i'll pull them to one side afterwards and leave them in no uncertain terms that I won't accept it again. It is then forgotten about and we move on. If however, it happens again, I tell them to find another gym as I won't train them any more.
Bodi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing