Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #31
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Michael Moorer, how good was he??

Kinda of hard to rate Moorer as a light heavy as his competetion was weak. As a heavyweight I don't think he reached his full potential.

I think George Benton and Lou "The Toad" really hurt Moorer with their altering of his aggressive style. He became much to passive under their care and I think took away one of his best strengths.
Curtis Lowe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #32
BrooklynMumin
HOPKINS A " G "
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
he went from light heavy straight to hevy he should have went to cruiser weight and then heavy
for what???
BrooklynMumin is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #33
Feiti
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I kind of find it unfair how much flak Lennox Lewis got for losing to Oliver McCall while Holyfield hardly got any for losing to Moorer. I´ve never felt Moorer was that much better as a heavyweight than McCall was. Lot of Moorer´s fame at heavyweight came from beating Holyfield, while he got KOed by an ancient Foreman and had some trouble with Schulz and Botha. He may also have been rated higher because of his previous achievements at LHW
Feiti is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #34
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 5200

Great fighter, Who left his chin & most of his power @ light heavyweight.
(Would have went down as an ATG at light heavyweight, I have no doubt about that)

That said, Easily one of the most skilled fighter's (North of 175lbs)
During his era.
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #35
jehu
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I always thought moorer was a accurate puncher with good technical skill & power,, his mental side let him down abit even though he had a good career ,I rekon he could of done better for what ever reason he didnt land bigger fights, He was underratted at heavy I think. Evans field always had a excuse so his heart was buggered from the roids he was on...... and his paper cut was to dangerous to continue when sherman williams had his number last...and this and that and so on he got his win 2nd time round.
jehu is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #36
elmaldito
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

he was one of the best light heavys.

Somewhere behind archie moore and michael spinks.
elmaldito is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #37
Sugar Nick
He's A Good Boy
ESB Senior Member

His chin wasn't so bad. Tua and Foreman,among the hardest hitters of all time Ko'd him and so did Holyfield. Holyfield was a good puncher as well plus fast and accurate.

So he was stopped 3 times by 2 super punchers and a good puncher,who he previously beat.

Moorer was good at LHW winning the WBO title and he did very well at HW! Won the true title,regained the IBF belt after the loss to Foreman etc
Good fighter. Better than Tommy Morrison,Briggs,Rahman,Bruno,McCall etc
Sugar Nick is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #38
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Him leaving Kronk hurt his chances of getting better.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #39
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_brogdon View Post
Personally I think Moorer is one of the most underated HW's of the 90's. The man was an ATG LHW who won all fights by KO/TKO and did more than enough to compete with the HW's of the 1990's. How do you view his career as a HW?
I would say an underrated Heavy from just the 90's because there was so much talent in the 90's he seemed just average at that time but overall i dont think he was extremley special
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #40
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_brogdon View Post
Personally I think Moorer is one of the most underated HW's of the 90's. The man was an ATG LHW who won all fights by KO/TKO and did more than enough to compete with the HW's of the 1990's. How do you view his career as a HW?
I actually think he's rated just about right at HW. At 175 however, he is grossly underrated h2h. He had a reputation(deservedly so) for being a bit lazy but he had an assortment of tools that are rarely seen in one package.
I also think he could do very well in a hypothetical tourney of LHWs...assuming he's matchup up properly.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 04:05 AM   #41
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

He was clearly world class but I wouldn't say he was ever the best fighter in the world.

At lhw he reminds me of Mosley in that people use hindsight and his glitzy record to push him higher when in reality he never the best in the division.

At hw I personally thought he lost to a very poor version of holy. He then also lost to a very poor version of foreman.

At no point in the 90's would I say he was better than bowe, holy nor Lewis.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 04:11 AM   #42
macp1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feiti View Post
I kind of find it unfair how much flak Lennox Lewis got for losing to Oliver McCall while Holyfield hardly got any for losing to Moorer. I´ve never felt Moorer was that much better as a heavyweight than McCall was. Lot of Moorer´s fame at heavyweight came from beating Holyfield, while he got KOed by an ancient Foreman and had some trouble with Schulz and Botha. He may also have been rated higher because of his previous achievements at LHW
misread at first. Holyfield was seen more vulnerable than Lewis maybe?
macp1 is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #43
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Very good fighter, fell slightly short of greatness though he had a great career. He's one of an elite few who have won lightheavy & heavyweight titles.

I always like his right-handed southpaw style, he had massive clown-size feet which affected his mobility & footwork but MM was a skilled boxer & an excellent composite puncher with speed & power.

MM was gigantic at LHW & a genuine badass, he couldve won a title a cruiser but had a very good career at heavy, his fight with Cooper is one the best HW fights of the 90s.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #44
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

He was oustanding in a Chris Byrd kind of sense - small but still made up for his shortness with a lot of deftness and skill. Both were former LHWs who could compete at world level at HW for a while.

Let's be honest though, both would get taken to the cleaners by any elite level HW with the proper physical parameters.
madballster is online now  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #45
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nick View Post
His chin wasn't so bad. Tua and Foreman,among the hardest hitters of all time Ko'd him and so did Holyfield. Holyfield was a good puncher as well plus fast and accurate.

So he was stopped 3 times by 2 super punchers and a good puncher,who he previously beat.

Moorer was good at LHW winning the WBO title and he did very well at HW! Won the true title,regained the IBF belt after the loss to Foreman etc
Good fighter. Better than Tommy Morrison,Briggs,Rahman,Bruno,McCall etc
Moorer showed in the Swindell I & Cooper fights he could handle adversity, he only got stopped by the very best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
He was clearly world class but I wouldn't say he was ever the best fighter in the world.

At lhw he reminds me of Mosley in that people use hindsight and his glitzy record to push him higher when in reality he never the best in the division.

At hw I personally thought he lost to a very poor version of holy. He then also lost to a very poor version of foreman.

At no point in the 90's would I say he was better than bowe, holy nor Lewis.
I think's he's the best ever southpaw HW champion & the 5th best HW of the 1990s.
DrMo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum